Itís August! Whatís Everyone Been Reading? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Itís August! Whatís Everyone Been Reading?

>

trasie

Itís August! Whatís Everyone Been Reading?
Old 08-03-2022, 04:16 PM

Time to share!

trasie is offline   Reply With Quote

booklady57

A couple of things
Old 08-03-2022, 04:42 PM

The Sewing Machine, by Natalie Fergie.

The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter, by Theodora Goss.

Under One Roof, by Samantha Tonge
booklady57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Firefly_7777

Reading
Old 08-03-2022, 04:56 PM

Mrs Harris Goes to Paris
And
Mrs Harris Goes to New York

Read them aloud to my mother and we both enjoyed them!
Firefly_7777 is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Books
Old 08-03-2022, 04:57 PM

I reread The Grapes of Wrath. Enjoyed it so much more now than in high school.

I am in the middle of reading Horse. I am loving all the characters.
LaFish is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 08-03-2022, 05:08 PM

I read Lessons in Chemistry by Garmus for my book club. Iím sure itís very popular, but it just reinforced ChickLit is not for me. The ending made me crazy with all of the unnecessary connections.

Just last night I finished Transcription by Atkinson. Somewhat similar to Rose Code (historical fiction, spies, WWII) but much more well written.

Rereading Case Histories by Atkinson, the 1st Jackson Brodie mystery. I love Atkinsonís wry sense of humor.

Just started listening to Olive Kitteridge by Strout. How did I miss this PP winner? Love love love it so far.

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 08-03-2022, 05:24 PM

Not a good reading month for me. I have many books on hold but they are several weeks away. Some were available from the best sellerís list so I took them.

Verity by Hoover - definitely do not recommend.

Apples Never Fall by Moriarty - I liked a couple of her other books but not this one.

Currently reading French Braid by Tyler. Hoping it gets better.
hand is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

My booksÖ
Old 08-03-2022, 05:26 PM

I had a chance to read a bit more this month. Here they are:

Big Girl by Mecca Jamilah Sullivan- This novel was about an African American girl growing up with issues about her weight. It was no surprise that these issues were fueled by her family dynamic. Not my favorite of the books I read this month, but I was rooting for Makaylah to figure it out.

Gilt by Jamie Brenner-I enjoyed this family saga about a family in the jewelry business whose sisterly bonds were fractured by a competition for a very large and expensive pink diamond. The story was set in both NYC and Provincetown, and I loved that.

The German Wife by Kelly Rimmer-This author writes great historical fiction. I did not know that the early US space program had German scientists, some with Nazi ties. This book explored how far a person would go to save their family, even if it meant betraying their values by acquiescing to the Nazi propaganda machine. An emotionally gripping read.

Suspects by Danielle Steel- Typical Danielle Steel. Not one of her better ones.

The Best Is Yet To Come by Debbie Macomber I enjoyed this one. A good beach read. A woman suffers a personal loss and meets a man who is also broken. There is a rescue dog in the story, which was a nice touch.

Summer on the Island by Brenda Novak-Three friends from California vacation at the family home of one of them. They are all facing personal crises, and what they are and how they deal with adversity makes for a good, light read.

Cradles of the Reich by Jennifer Coburn-I believe this is not out yet, but I read an advanced reader copy. It is another historical fiction novel about how certain German young women were chosen to be impregnated, have their babies and give them up to families of Nazi officers. It was also a book that grabbed my emotions.

The Boardwalk Bookshop by Susan Mallery- Three women join forces to share a business space and find themselves making decisions about relationships in the process. Another quick, beachy read.

The School for German Brides by Aimie K. Runyan- Another WW II historical novel. The compliance German wives needed to show to their husbands was ingrained in actual ďschoolsĒ attended by future wives. Another example of the propaganda machine at work.

Murder at Black Oaks by Philip Margolin- I also read an advanced copy of this one. This is the sixth book featuring recurring character Robin Lockwood. It was a legal thriller, but had a gothic element. Not his best book, in my opinion.

Home or Away by Kathleen West- if you like youth hockey, this book is for you. The main character carried a secret from her collegiate hockey experience that comes to impact her family when her family moves back to Minnesota to develop her sonís hockey game. I liked this one.

Meant to Be by Emily Giffin- Loosely based on the romance of JFK Jr. and his wife Carolyn Bessette, this book follows the main characters Jack and Kate as they meet and develop a relationship. An easy and fun read.
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 08-03-2022, 05:32 PM

LaFish, I tried rereading Grapes of Wrath this summer, but I'd forgotten just how depressing it was, I ended up stopping halfway through. I think it just didn't affect me that strongly when I read it as a teenager.

I read Horse which I liked, though it's not my favorite Geraldine Brooks novel. That spot still belongs to Year of Wonders. Although maybe that ties with People of the Book.

Amiga, I thought I was the only one who didn't like Lessons in Chemistry-- everyone I know who read it has raved about it. It started off in a charming way, and I enjoyed the first few chapters, then I don't know, it just got a little weird and boring. I skipped a bunch of chapters and read the last few pages, but that didn't make me want to go back and reread the middle, lol.

I enjoyed the new Riley Sager, The House Across the Lake and am currently reading the new Megan Miranda, The Last to Vanish--both are fun twisty novels of suspense.

I also read a bunch of memoirs from quite a variety of people: Jennifer Gray, Kellyanne Conway, Minnie Driver, Kathleen Beuhle (sp?).
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

Keeli0307

Summer reading
Old 08-03-2022, 05:38 PM

Book Lovers by Emily Henry

Every Summer After by Carley Fortune

One Last Stop by Casey McQuiston

This One Summer by Marinko and Jillian Tamaki
Keeli0307 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-03-2022, 05:44 PM

I've read a lot this month, but have not read a lot of really good books.

My favorite by far was A Woman is No Man. From goodreads "This debut novel by an Arab-American voice, takes us inside the lives of conservative Arab women living in America. In Brooklyn, eighteen-year-old Deya is starting to meet with suitors. Though she doesnít want to get married, her grandparents give her no choice. History is repeating itself: Deyaís mother, Isra, also had no choice when she left Palestine as a teenager to marry Adam."

Another that was interesting was The Monk of Mokha, which is based on a true story of a true story of a young Yemeni American man, raised in San Francisco, who dreams of resurrecting the ancient art of Yemeni coffee but finds himself trapped in Sanaía by civil war.

The others that in my mind were just meh
*The Bromance Book Club (stupid, but once I realized I really didn't like it I was so far in I figured I might as well finish - it did not get any better)
*The Girl in His Shadow
*Seven Days in June
*Pops, Fatherhood in Pieces
*The Great Believers
*Beach Read

And my one that I did not finish was The Unhoneymooners. Meh.

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 08-03-2022, 05:53 PM

Starr, I wholeheartedly agree with you:
*I loved Horse, and I liked Year of Wonders even more. That book took my breath away.
*After the first bit of Lessons in Chemistry, I thought it might be fun and that maybe I was wrong about ChickLit. Then IMO it was so cliched and repetitive and predictable with cardboard characters. Big ugh.

ETA: Sbkangas, oh no, why didn’t you like The Great Believers? I thought that was a brilliant story—and my 1st year here it was the selection for One Book One San Diego. I loved it.

Last edited by amiga13; 08-03-2022 at 06:18 PM..
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

yrutching

Recent Books Read
Old 08-03-2022, 06:01 PM

Little Souls by Sandra Dallas. She is one of my favorite authors. This book was about two sisters living in Denver in 1910 during the Spanish flu pandemic.

Ethel Rosenberg: An American Tragedy by Anne Sebba. This was a biography of Ethel Rosenberg, the wife and mother who was executed for espionage in 1953. I did skim over parts about the history of the communist party, but story and circumstances of her life were very interesting.

Next Year in Havana by Chanel Cleeton was about a Cuban-American woman who travels to Cuba and discovers romance and family secrets.

The Maid by Nita Prose was about a sweet delightful maid who was caught in the middle of a murder mystery. I loved this book until toward the end when she did some things which I thought were not in her nature.

The Lost Summer of Newport by Beatriz Williams, Lauren Willis, and Karen White. I almost gave up reading this book as it had a triple timeline and many characters. The last half of the book was more interesting with a twist.
yrutching is online now   Reply With Quote

cvt

books
Old 08-03-2022, 07:02 PM

*American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins: I liked it despite the controversy about cultural appropriation and stereotyping.

*Two Nights in Lisbon by Chris Pavone: I was excited to read this because it had been recommended to me by a friend who has similar tastes. Although intriguing, I was disappointed as I found it to be too contrived.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 08-03-2022, 07:09 PM

In July, I read:

Death in a Darkening Mist by Iona Wishaw. Book 2 of her Lane Winslow series. I'm liking the series a lot.

The Forest of Vanishing Stars by Kristin Harmel. I wanted to like this WW2 story more than I did. I really liked her earlier novel called The Book of Lost Names but this one irritated me especially at the end.

The No Show by Beth Leary. An easy chick lit read. (Look away, amiga13, look away).

The Light We Lost by Jill Santopolo. Okay not-quite-chick-lit but I figured it out before we were meant to.

The Zig Zag Girl by Elly Griffiths. Book 1 of her Magic Men series. I love her Ruth Galloway series. This book was a little slow but I think the series will pick up.

The Wife Upstairs by Rachel Hawkins. Interesting modern take on Jane Eyre.

The Girl in his Shadow by Audrey Blake. Historical fiction about medicine and the beginnings of anesthesia. Lots of social commentary.

Letters Across the Sea by Genevieve Graham. WW2 story set partly in Canada and partly in Japan.

Currently reading:
(hard cover for reading on the couch) Horse by Geraldine Brooks. It's compelling. I loved both People of the Book and The Year of Wonders. I'll have to take a look at her other books.
(ebook for reading in bed) Nine Lives by Peter Swanson
(listening on public transit or when I'm cooking dinner)The Dry by Jane Harper.
(read aloud with Man) The Thrill of the Grass by W P Kinsella.
GreenBunny is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-03-2022, 07:16 PM

Quote:
ETA: Sbkangas, oh no, why didnít you like The Great Believers? I thought that was a brilliant storyóand my 1st year here it was the selection for One Book One San Diego. I loved it.
I didn't NOT like it, I just didn't love it. I read a lot, and I always figure that if I don't remember a book the week after I read it then it's not one that I truly love (if that makes sense). I wouldn't tell someone not to read it, but it's not on my "you have to read this" list, either.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Books
Old 08-03-2022, 07:34 PM

Danielle Steele books:

Friends Forever - Five friends meet in kindergarten, but they do not all survive through college. I found it depressing.

Suspects - I agree, not one of her best.

Beautiful - Another one that was just okay.

Elin Hildebrand - A trilogy set on the island of St. John. Irene had the shock of her life, finding het husband was living a double life. I was initially attracted to it because it is partially set in Iowa. there were many places mentioned I have been.
tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 08-03-2022, 07:45 PM

I am over halfway through Code Talker (YA story of Navajo code talkers in WW2)--very interesting; i'm learning a lot!)

I read The Rent Collector (thank you to the few of you that recommended it!) A family in Cambodia struggles to survive by "picking" in (while living AT) the dump and how the woman who collects their rent changes their lives. Good! The author took some author's license from her son's documentary about the subject.

Good Me Bad Me--wow--yikes! an abused girl who turns her murderous mother in...and then struggles with her own demons. intense.

The Book of Lost Names--a woman saves Jews during WW2 by changing their identities--she is Jewish, as well, so has to be careful.

Book Lovers--what a fun love story! i had the book reserved for 3 months. i'm not sure what review i had read but in my mind i had made this a love story between to villains from literature (like the witch in Snow White and ....???) i obviously had that wrong!

and a couple other books that are NOT worth mentioning!
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 08-03-2022, 07:49 PM

The Good Left Undone by Adriana Trigiani

I love all her novels. I have learned so much about Italy and history from her.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

WalkDontRun

Old 08-03-2022, 07:50 PM

Billy Summers by Stephen King for my book group
WalkDontRun is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Tia and SonomaÖ
Old 08-04-2022, 01:17 AM

I loved Book Lovers! Took me a little while to get into it, but I was hooked. I have People We Meet on Vacation at home and have also read Beach Read by her. Lots of good Emily Henry interviews online.

I have the Adrianna Trigiani book at home in my TBR pile. She also is fun to watch online.
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Screen shots from Libby :)
Old 08-04-2022, 03:34 AM

I've read these. All ok, but none were great. However,will read sequel to The Girl in his Shadow when it becomes available. It's the next book on pic and says " several months" until available! ( oh, wait! I just check and they have added 31 copies since my hold so now wait time is about 3 weeks!)
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Rest of list
Old 08-04-2022, 03:35 AM

Reading Maidens right now
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

Persephone

Old 08-04-2022, 07:29 AM

Me Before You by JoJo Moyes

Does anyone here keep a Reading Journal with favorite quotes from books?
Persephone is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

July Books...
Old 08-04-2022, 08:25 AM

Here were my July Books.

The People We Keep I gave this 4 stars. I was intrigued by a lot the story lines, but in the end, I felt there were parts that could have been taken out and the story would still be the same.

That Summer I also gave this book 4 out of 5 stars. I have to say, for as unrealistic as the story line was, I kept wanting to reading more, which is why I gave 4 out of 5. However, I did feel there was a lot wrong with it. I thought there were parts that didn't need to be included, parts I wanted to see addressed more that weren't, and the changing perspectives was not done well. I don't mind books that change perspectives, but this book changed perspectives and time periods at random times with no rhyme or reason.

Saint Training I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars. It is a true gem that I found in the children's fiction (it is a chapter book) section of our library. Reading level wise, it's definitely 4th/5th grade, but content wise it is more for older middle schoolers. I LOVED this book for so many reasons. It had humor. Growing up in a Catholic family and attending Catholic Schools, it was also relatable....more so hearing stories from my parents' and aunts and uncles experiences than my own, but still. It also had historical events about the Vietnam and the Civil Rights Movement. It also had such great lessons and gave me a lot to think about it. I teach in a Catholic School, and if I taught 7th or 8th grade religion or English, I would definitely include this book in the curriculum.

Defiant: Growing Up in the Jim Crow South I gave this 2 out of 5 stars. I was sorely disappointed in it. I love historical books, especially about the Civil Rights Movement. The book starts off with a great hook. I kept wanting to read more to find out what happened...but after the first chapter, it goes back in time. The rest of the book, up until about the last chapter or two, is all about the kid's life growing up. The events told were pretty common and not real interesting to read. The hook/event from the beginning continues at the end, but not for very long when you think of the length of the event. I think the author could have done a much better job focusing on the event and building it up, just focusing on that.

The Paper Palace I gave this 3 out of 5 stars. I did think the characterization was great. I could clearly picture everything happening, seeing it all be acting out. I think it would make a good movie. There parts of the storyline I was really into it and other parts that were just so-so. Overall, though, I felt it was a very "superficial" type book that needed a stronger focus and message.

We are Not Like Them I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars. If you haven't read this book, I would recommend it! The characterization is awesome. Again, I could see this making a great movie. I also loved the story line. I kept wanting to read more. I couldn't put the book down. It did an excellent job switching perspectives. It also did an excellent job showing things from a white person and a black person's point of view. I think it captured the thoughts of both in these situations very well. The only bad side was that it had to end! I LOVED it!

Currently I am reading This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger. I should finish today. I'm guessing I'll give it 4 or 5 stars. I really like it!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

Old 08-04-2022, 10:57 AM

Born Round: The Secret of a Full-Time Eater by Frank Bruni
Sous Chef: 24 Hours on the Line by Michael Gibney
Razorblade Tears by S.A. Cosby
The Swimmers by Julie Otsuka
Provence, 1970: M.F.K. Fisher, Julia Child, James Beard and the Reinvention of America Taste
Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt

After reading Razorblade Tears which was quite graphic and violent (and I'm glad to have read) I welcomed Remarkably Bright Creatures. An aquarium resident (a giant octopus) and an older widow (night custodian) who lost her son develop a unique relationship.

I didn't read recently, but this lovely story reminded me of one of my favorite pandemic reads, The Soul of an Octopus by Sy Montgomery. She also wrote a peaceful and interesting short piece called The Hummingbirds' Gift. I enjoyed listening to it on Audiobooks.

I have both Horse and Lessons in Chemistry on hold-still another 6 weeks after 6 or 7 weeks since they were both released. I ordered a hardback of Horse and will read it after I finish London's Number One Dog-Walking Agency and Four Aunties and a Wedding.
luvmycat is online now   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

books
Old 08-04-2022, 01:58 PM

The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead, tough, but an excellent read.

The Lantern Men by Elly Griffiths, one of her better Ruth Galloway books

The Sweet Remants of Summer by Alexander McCall Smith, always a treat

The Disappearance of a Scribe by Dana Stabenow, what the author does for Alaska with her Kate Shugak series, she does for ancient Egypt -history, politics, culture. You don't realize you are learning so much as you read.

The Pilot's Daughter by Meredith Jaeger, missing WWII pilot mixed with a mysterious death of a 1920's Zigfeld follies chorus girl.
Shelby3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Charlotte

Old 08-04-2022, 02:49 PM

My two book club books were:

Station Eleven -- I was not a fan.

Home Before Dark -- it was ok. It's a ghost story/mystery.

I read this one in between book club books:

Mother of All Secrets -- loved it! It is a mystery with so many twists and turns.
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote

calumetteach

Thank you for this thread!
Old 08-04-2022, 05:49 PM

I look forward to it even if I donít get to read much.
I read:
An Invisible Thread by Alex Tresniowski and Laura Schroff. It was a non fiction book about a woman and a boy on the streets of NYC. It was a good storyÖuplifting though not the best well written book. Parts of it were disjointed I thought.

The Lions of Fifth Avenue by Laura Lyons. A book I saw promoted on another site. It was a fun read, but not a page turner

Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler. A science fiction novel that was too stressful to read so I gave it up. It was stressing me out too much. Curious if anyone else read it.

Currently Iím reading Lessons in Chemistry which is ok, Iím not very far into it. The library has Horse reserved for me and Iím looking forward to starting that.
calumetteach is offline   Reply With Quote