Help

High School

Preparing Students for Life After Graduation

>

nooteach

Preparing Students for Life After Graduation
Old 05-01-2019, 06:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What do you wish you could do more of in preparing students for college/careers? What do you currently do? What counseling resources do your schools provide?

Thinking about these questions as the school year heads toward a close.

nooteach is offline   Reply With Quote

benkenobi

Goal Setting
Old 02-25-2020, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi nooteach, I am a senior science teacher at my school, and I often think about this question. I know this response might find you a bit late, but thought I’d share my thoughts anyway for the coming years’ graduating classes.

Moving from high school to university was such a major transition that my first year still feels quite fresh in my mind. There are definitely a few things I wish I knew, especially with regards to the unfamiliar class structure. I am currently taking further studies and am currently enrolled in a course on Self-Regulated Learning (SRL) and its many strategies. This course has proven to be very eye-opening, and I always find myself excited to take my learnings to the classroom for my students to hear about.

Back when I was starting out in university, I almost felt like I was taking things day by day with coursework. I did not exactly set any goals for myself, and the experience was incredibly overwhelming. I have shared this with my students quite early on, and I now have theory to back up my conversations with them. Since the students will be at an age where they are now able to truly grasp the concept of thinking on the long-term scale, they should hopefully be capable of being reflective about their learning styles. Students should take the time to sit down, reflect, and set some distal or long-term goals for themselves. This distal goal may perhaps be something as simple as achieving certain marks on their current courses. Students should then take the time to think of the steps to get them there – their proximal goals.

Though our students likely already practice goal-setting, actually putting names to these concepts has been quite helpful. Having them actively write down distal and proximal goals on paper seems to make them more real and achievable. Moreover, by writing out the footsteps necessary to their goal, they will be more motivated and driven to meet these checkpoints they have set for themselves. The distal goal would no longer have to seem to distal, so to speak, as they are meeting small goals on the way to their destinations.
benkenobi is offline   Reply With Quote