Why are they treating me horribly?!

>

Moving jobs!

Moving jobs!

Why are they treating me horribly?!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just got a new job! Hooray!

I am escaping from a district that doesn't see teachers as anything more than an expenditure. Doesn't see students as anything more than a way to horde more money by piling as many into a classroom as can possibly fit. And a principal who barely knows up from down.

And my "friends" at school haven't been very nice to me about this! I'm getting tons of attitude, sour faces, and mean administrators.

I know some of them are sad that they are losing a friend and sad that a good teacher is leaving the school... but could someone be happy for me for one second? Or at least not treat me like crap? Please?!

If you've been in this situation, how do you make it through? While I'm moving out my things, I'll still be seeing these people...! Right now, I'm thinking I'll probably go in over the weekend to move stuff out again so I can just be alone.

But after so many years with these people, I'm just really hurt about the reaction I'm getting. It makes me sad!

christina4062

Me too!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I just got a new job too- congrats!

My colleagues have been bummed and could probably be a tad bit nicer... but I'm sorry you feel so unsupported.

Let us celebrate with you!
christina4062 is offline   Reply With Quote
beenthereB4

beenthereB4

Don't be surprised!
Old 06-19-2012, 11:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Been there......don't be surprised. Good luck in the transition.

Elemteach22

Old 06-19-2012, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It is much less awkward going in over the weekend to move your things. As far as people treating you rudely, just smile and move on. You are moving to a better situation and doing what is best for you. Be nice to those who are nice to you and ignore those you are less than pleasant. This, too, shall pass.

Last edited by Elemteach22; 06-19-2012 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: wording
Elemteach22 is offline   Reply With Quote

HomeofLove

Old 06-19-2012, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
And my "friends" at school haven't been very nice to me about this! I'm getting tons of attitude, sour faces, and mean administrators.
Probably because...

Quote:
I am escaping from a district that doesn't see teachers as anything more than an expenditure. Doesn't see students as anything more than a way to horde more money by piling as many into a classroom as can possibly fit. And a principal who barely knows up from down.
Sounds like sour grapes to me! It's sad that you really see who your friends are when they act like that over your good news. Hopefully, you'll move to a BETTER district and a school with better admin & staff!

Congrats on your move..........and on getting out of that place!

HomeofLove is offline   Reply With Quote

Lady Di

Congratulations!
Old 06-19-2012, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Just nod and smile!

It sounds like they are jealous and wish they'd taken the initiative to do what you've done. Hold your head high and don't worry about them. Good luck in your move and enjoy!!!
Lady Di is offline   Reply With Quote

BadgerState

Congrats :)
Old 06-19-2012, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You just described my school district! I recently had my team-mate tell me she took another job. I was sad for me but happy for her. You need to work where you can be happy - life is to short to be miserable at your job! Good luck and be well in your new job
BadgerState is offline   Reply With Quote

sailorelly

Jealous!
Old 06-19-2012, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I agree with the above posters - your colleagues are jealous. You're escaping a crappy environment and dared to do something in order to improve your situation. Good for you, and congratulations on your new job!
sailorelly is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

The move
Old 06-20-2012, 04:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

First off.....CONGRATS! Here's to getting out of a negative place and into a positive one

My guess about the situation you are in right now with the negativity is that some are slightly jealous. Perhaps they don't know how to congratulate you without feeling down in the dumps for themselves.

If it makes you feel better, then go in over the weekend and move things out (I had to do this myself this year). Keep in touch, be nice and polite and just know that you are doing what is best for you at this time.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

HomeofLove

Old 06-20-2012, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
You're escaping a crappy environment and dared to do something in order to improve your situation.
This (the part I bolded) is probably another source of their jealousy. I've been in their shoes before, actually. We'd been living in an apartment complex for quite some time. During our last year there, a family -- that we LOVED -- moved in and we became instant friends. Fast forward about a year later and they moved (they never planned to stay more than a year in the first place). While they were there, we were "comfortable" and never made much effort to move. Once they left (I even remember sitting in the living room watching them drive off and feeling the tears burn my eyes), it was as though we had no reason to stay. It was just the swift kick in the rear we needed to actually *do something* about our situation -- the situation we'd been ignoring for quite some time. Within two months of their departure, we were moving as well!

Of course, we had no ill feelings toward our friends and wished them the best. But, the point is that perhaps YOU stepping out and actually *doing something* about your situation is shaking up those who have been "comfortable." It also highlights the fact that they're only there because they're not putting in enough effort to get *out* of there, which probably makes them bitter.

HomeofLove is offline   Reply With Quote

RR

And...
Old 06-20-2012, 05:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

It takes all components to make an environment. Could it be that what you are seeing now is a major part of the problem manifesting itself in a way you did not see before?
RR is offline   Reply With Quote

connieg

the way it is
Old 06-21-2012, 03:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We can all get a bit delusional about our relationships at school or work. You won't ever intentionally see most of these folks ever again. Most of us are so busy that we just don't care that much about others at work. That is why it is so important to keep work and home well balanced and don't dedicate yourself to friends at school. They will vanish immediately and you will feel hurt.
connieg is offline   Reply With Quote

Karenssister

One of my dearest friends
Old 06-21-2012, 05:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

is moving to a new position in another school. I am so sad to be losing her. But I am very happy for her that she is getting out of a place that has become a very hostile working place.
It isn't the same for me, and I am enjoying my job. She was one of the best teachers in our building, and has been there so long. Such a shame that the P drove her to this. It is so destructive to morale. But I know she feels she MUST go. And, while I hate the situation, I wish her well, and couldn't hold it against her if I wanted to.
One thing I have noticed about school is that EVERYTHING changes...
Karenssister is offline   Reply With Quote