Help

Fifth Grade

Moving from 1st & 2nd to 5th... help!

>

christina4062

Moving from 1st & 2nd to 5th... help!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm so excited- I just got a new job in a new district teaching 5th grade!

But, I'm terrified at the same time... I've taught 1st and 2nd grade for the past 6 years... I did student teach in 5th and it's all ELA, which I am TOTALLY jazzed about...

I have a list of things I'm wondering if I could still use/do in a 5th grade classroom...

What do you think:

*can I bring my big, colorful rug for my meeting area?
*can I really have a class meeting area?
*will they sit on the rug and let me teach from my easel?
*my classroom library is FULL of books... thousands... but do they still want to read picture books?
*what about my clip chart? Do 5th graders still buy into that?
*can I do a morning meeting still where we do a silly "hello" and a game together to build community?
*my current theme is cowboy, which I know I can't transfer, but what would an appropriate theme be?
*will they want or like to listen to books with a Tag Pen or Leap Pad? I have lots of picture books for that in my listening center... but is it too babyish?

I'm adding the link to my blog so you can see my classroom pictures to get an idea of what I'm talking about with my rug, easel, listening center, and library. These are the pics of my 1st/2nd grade classroom.

http://bainbridgeclass.blogspot.com/...s-june-12.html

christina4062 is offline   Reply With Quote

Laurascoupons

Some thoughts
Old 06-19-2012, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am starting D5 this year for a 5-6 combo. I have brought in a rug for my room, I am having a meeting place and I will teach from an easel. I had some of these kids last year and while we want to think of them as big kids- they really do enjoy just being kids. I tried a few things out on them last year that I thought they would think was too young for them and they loved it. They like hands on teaching, sitting on a pillow to read and playing with Knex! I have also increased the number of picture books. I used a few in the past - like the Planet Without Pronouns - when we studied pronouns and they loved it. They love being read to. I don't know of they would like the Leap Pad. My kids are pretty tech savy and several have Kindles. But they love reading pictures books. Think of it this way- do you ever read a silly story or something below your 'level' just for fun? If we do it then why would we think the kids wouldn't enjoy it to? I think kids get turned off of reading when it is always for a purpose and there is no silly time! Every time they read it is good. I plan on making sure though, that they are reading more books at their level then not. So go through your books and pull out some of the higher ones and use them. Also look at what you can use to teach concepts -like If You Give a Moose a Muffin which teaches cause and effect. I just purchased two big books from Goodwill. One is an African folk tale and the other is a Chinese folk tale. The artwork is great and I will be able to use it when we cover folk tales.

As far as themes, I am not a big fan. My kids like color and find the frogs, bees and bears very childish. They like cool colors in cool patterns. They loved my polka dot bulliten board. This year I am decorating with some geometric designs and using black and white butterfly fabric on some seating. I think they will love it.
Laurascoupons is offline   Reply With Quote

Stephanie K

Old 06-19-2012, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach 5th ELA and love it!!! I, too, have begun using Daily 5 this past year. We had a meeting run and did some mini-lessons on a "easel." I would be careful with the picture books. One thing the Core Curriculum pushes is reading material on their level. You will definitely want to "up" the reading.

Building communities always works really well. Kagan has some really good classbuilding activities as well as teambuilding activities. You can definitely use a beefed up version of your community building games.

I have not seen a cowboy theme in 5th grade, but if you made it a little "older" it would definitely work. Maybe look at what "themes" you'll be teaching and try to go with a theme that would work. Themes I have done in the past are : jungle/safari, smiley faces, candy (with polka dots), disney. This year I am doing a sports/teamwork theme with a little bit of "technology/facebook" mixed in.

Enjoy 5th grade. They are so much fun!
Stephanie K is offline   Reply With Quote

rachelmpd

5th
Old 06-19-2012, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think the answer to most of your questions is going to be space. How big of a classroom will you have? I moved to 4th this past year, after 7 years in primary and not only did I have move students in the classroom, but the desks were bigger. The sheer amount of desks/desk sizes was the biggest problem.

I would keep a significant amount of the pictures books, classics and books to use for lessons. You are going to want a lot of harder chapter books. You might be able to keep the Leap Pad if you get a child with a low IQ/mental age (I had one this year who would have loved it), possibly a child who doesn't speak English (unsure, but worth a try).

There are tons of themes that can be used, I do a bit of Hollywood and the kids in 4th loved it.

Have fun!
rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote

shaddybaby

Old 06-22-2012, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I taught 1st grade for 3 years before I moved to 5th grade. I just knew all my books and activities would have to be replaced but my kids still love some of the same things I used with my 1st graders (picture books included). They are still kids and enjoy those fun things. Now the first time I stand up and sing/dance in the front of the room they look at me like I'm crazy but before you know it they are asking if we are singing/dancing today.

I have a large rug in my room that my kids love to sit on all the time. They come to the carpet when I'm reading to them or we are doing something on the Smartboard/iPad.

A few years back our entire 5th grade theme was a Rodeo theme, which goes right along with your cowboy stuff.

You're welcome to check out my blog to see some of the things I do with my 5th graders. I've been teaching 5th grade for 7 years now and I love it!

http://mesmrswhitesclass.blogspot.com/

shaddybaby is offline   Reply With Quote