Help

ARCHIVE

Calendar

>

TeacherMeg

Calendar
Old 12-31-2007, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm thinking about making some changes regarding my Calendar time routine. We have about 20 minutes set aside for Calendar (this is seperate from the 60 minute Math block we have). What kinds if things do you do regularly during Calendar? Right now we discuss the month, day of the week, year, how to write the date, weather, add a straw to the number count for days we have been in school, and I usually try to review the Math skill for the lesson that day. What else should I be doing during Calendar?

TeacherMeg is offline   Reply With Quote

superteach113

Calendar
Old 12-31-2007, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use a plastic clock and we review the time. They also take turns to orally tell me a math word problem and we discuss the important parts that help us decide if it is addition or subtraction, then write the number sentence.

Years ago, my school had purchased Everyday Counts. It's an excellent program that has all sorts of fun activites to review skills I teach in math.
superteach113 is offline   Reply With Quote

GoTeachers

long
Old 12-31-2007, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do all of what you mentioned but I also do a few other things...

I drew a Piggy and laminated it (pink poster board outlined with black). A parent scanned all coins for me (front and back) and I put them on cardstock and laminated. Each day we add a penny. I write the total amount with a wet erase marker. We learn about making 5 pennies into a nickel, two nickels into a dime, etc. We also learn to add money.

I also do a daily pattern of the shapes we have to learn in our states first grade curriculum... hexagon, square, parallelogram, trapazoid, triangle, rectangle and circle. We also write the day we are on one a day to make a pattern. We learn patterns, the shapes, counting, pattern units, etc.

I also do a BRAIN POP! This is, by far, their favorite thing! I buy, at Walmart, a big bag of balloons 9 or 12 in. will do. I write a daily fact on a piece of paper, fold it up, put it in the balloon, blow the balloon and hang it up before they come in (usually before I leave day before). Then, I use a push pin and my Handy Helper (daily helper) calls on someone to give me the "magic number." It has to be from 1-10. We count together and when we get to the magic number I POP the balloon. Each fact starts with... Did you know that...Sometimes we count backwards, sometimes we change our voices in our countdown for variety.

I also have a huge 100 number chart. With this you can do so MANY activities. One thing that we do is... the Handy Helper writes a special number on a small post - it. No one sees but me. I have two circles and some putty for holding in place. They try to narrow the number down. First person will give a number... say the number is 49. One kid might say 56. Handy says... no the number is lower than 56. We take one circle and cover 56. And so on... does that make sense?

At the end to before we go to our seats. Everyone stands up and we march in place. Our Handy Helper leads us in our cadence and the other kids repeat each line after:

First Grade, First grade, what you say?
We're gonna have some fun today,
We're gonna read and write and spell,
We do these things very well.
Sound off (Handy says)
1, 2 (others say and hold up fingers
Sound off (Handy says)
3, 4 (others say and hold up fingers)
Bring it down now (Handy says)
1,2,3,4 (All say)

Hope this gives you some "fresh" ideas.
Sound off (Handy Helper says)
1, 2, (kid
GoTeachers is offline   Reply With Quote

liberty teach

calendar
Old 01-01-2008, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have access to time/temperature phone number. We call to see what the temperature is, and then show it on the display thermometer. We discuss if it is colder/warmer than the previous day, and also write the correct temperature on a blackline calendar. I made display size dominoes. We write the fact family that goes with the illustrated domino. Instead of adding a penny to our coin cup, I put up a random set of coins that the class needs to count (I kept the sequence that Saxson uses for their coin cup). At a first grade conference a few years back, the presenter gave another activity. Use the date for the day, and see how many different ways the class can display it. A subtraction or addition problem with the date as an answer; coins that add up to that number; expanded notation; Roman numerals; uniform number of a particular sports star; letter of the alphabet, etc. Only one example of each category may be used.
liberty teach is offline   Reply With Quote

mariamc

Calendar
Old 01-01-2008, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Have you tried abbreviations for the days of the week? I velcro them onto the words of the week. Then the calendar person chooses 7 people (they come up one at a time) and say Sun. Sunday. Then the class repeats Sun. Sunday. etc...
I also have put on past, present, future. They have to say complete sentences: Monday WAS the past. Next child comes up: Tuesday (today) IS the future (right now). Next child... Wednesday (tomorrow) WILL BE the past.
If I have a group of students who really are sharp, I have added shapes: Mon. Monday, Cube :Tues, Tuesday, Sphere. and so on.
Hope that helps... good luck!

mariamc is offline   Reply With Quote

lovebug422

Morning Meeting
Old 01-01-2008, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't do calendar anymore - as a whole group activity - I don't know about you guys but it was getting so monotonous, and it seemed like the concepts that we went over day in and day out just weren't cementing into their little brains. I would get so frustrated with my kids who couldn't, say, count by 10's - how could you NOT - I mean, we did it EVERY day during calendar. Probably because they tune me out after the 100th time of doing it (and having done it since PRESCHOOL - ) . I assigned calendar jobs to kids and they "report out" : the date, how many days we've been in school and the weather. All the other calendar activities that have been mentioned I will use during "group activity" time during our Morning Meeting. Morning Meeting consists of the following:

Greeting
Sharing
Group Activity (drives home concepts we're working on, i.e. magic e, digraphs, rhyming words, ABC order, various calendar activities, etc.)
Message (which is also used to drive home different teaching points, maybe in math, maybe DOL, etc.)

Just a thought...
lovebug422 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I do a similiar time with my SpEd
Old 01-01-2008, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

class. I usually do a combination of most of the stuff already mentioned but I don't try to do it all everyday. I change it up to keep it shorter and to keep it more interesting. The reg ed teachers made up a worksheet for it that I borrowed some things from but it doesn't really work since I don't do it the same way each time.

Do any of you do it on the SmartBoard? If you do, can you share? Someone sent me a very good Smart Board project with a lot of these things included but it was not exactly what I wanted.

I was hoping to locate a pre-made Morning Message or Calendar Time to do on the Smart Board. I am pretty good with the computer but just never seem to have the time to put something like that together.
Lottalove is online now   Reply With Quote

christina4062

Here's my calendar routine
Old 01-07-2008, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

http://www.teacherweb.com/mi/central...xplanation.pdf

It's posted on my site!

Hope it helps!
christina4062 is offline   Reply With Quote