Help

The VENT

So...no carpet then?

>

Izzy23

So...no carpet then?
Old 10-30-2019, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Over the summer, the custodian decided my classroom carpet was disgusting and he threw it away. When I came back to school and asked where my carpet was, he told me not to worry -- he had ordered a new one.

So, every couple of weeks, I ask where my carpet is. And he acts surprised, "I don't know. I can't believe it hasn't come yet." Then he blames his supervisor, who is younger than he is, a fact he cannot reconcile.

The kids keep asking about the carpet. It's no fun to sit on the cold tile (especially now that it's snowing and our heat is iffy) and it's annoying and crowded to drag chairs over every time.

So tonight I ask the custodian again. Only this time I say, Should I ask the P? (I'm new to the district and unsure about purchases. I assumed classroom furniture came through the custodian's budget, which is how it worked in my old district.)

When I mention the P, the custodian starts stammering and finally says, Well, yeah, ask him. He's the one who has to pay for it.

Um. What? I didn't know that. I don't think my P has any idea he was supposed to buy me a carpet. And now it's nearly November. What are the damn chances I get a carpet now??

And yes, I already know I can call around to carpet stores and ask for squares or ask for an old remnant. But you know what? I'm not going to do that. I don't have time to do that, or time to arrange pick up, or the ability to carry a heavy carpet around. I had a damn carpet. It was not my decision to throw it away. The district should provide me with one.

But you know, they probably won't.

Izzy23 is online now   Reply With Quote

TheGr8Catsby

Old 10-30-2019, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Was this a personal classroom carpet that was thrown away?
TheGr8Catsby is offline   Reply With Quote

EyeSeeTwo

Old 10-30-2019, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In our district we are not allowed to bring in personally purchased furniture or rugs.

I bought chair cushions at grocery out let two for $4.98, the students purchase them with PB good behavior tickets.

They own them, not me.

They are great for morning circle and at their desks.

Sorry the janitor felt the rug was disgusting, maybe the janitor did not want to wash it?
EyeSeeTwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 10-30-2019, 08:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
Was this a personal classroom carpet that was thrown away?
No, it was a carpet provided by the district.
Izzy23 is online now   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

Just a suggestion...
Old 10-31-2019, 03:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

if you call around carpet stores, or go in person ask if they have any commercial carpet squares. Go to stores, if you can find them, that do commercial jobs not just homes ask if they will give you the squares from broken boxes. Commercial carpet squares have foam on the back they do not slide, the are looped threads so they do not unravel, if something unfortunate happens they can be replaced without replacing the whole thing or depending on "cleaning" the accident. They can be placed side by side and will stay where you put them to form an entire carpeted area. They can also be lifted up and moved so kids can use them in a quiet place to read or do a math game with a partner. If you teach young kids you can move a square or two just a little (arms length) away from the group but still part of the group.

Best thing I did in first grade. I changed my carpet to carpet squares! (However, DH worked in commercial flooring, so easy access to lots of them)

chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 10-31-2019, 03:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That was pretty dumb of him. He should have asked you before he decided to trash it.

Last edited by subasaurus; 10-31-2019 at 04:17 AM..
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Tell the principal...
Old 10-31-2019, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would tell the principal that your classroom does not have carpet. If the other classrooms in your school/grade have carpet, you could tell him you are concerned about not having standard materials at the grade level and potential parent complaints (especially since the kids are having a hard time getting comfortable on the tile).
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 10-31-2019, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I've never heard of a custodian's budget. Definitely go to your P and tell him you need a carpet.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Carpet
Old 10-31-2019, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

How frustrating. I'd be annoyed too. I've never been in a classroom that wasn't carpeted

Sounds a bit like the custodian just did not get around the organising it for you.

I am also a little confused about the custodian being the one responsible for budgeting and purchasing classroom supplies. Seems like it should be an admin responsibility to me. But the custodian should have checked it with your P first.
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote