Help

BusyBoard

Mastered facts- Now What

>

Roadrunner22

Mastered facts- Now What
Old 02-08-2012, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student who is close to passing his time test requirements for all the basic operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. He scored 100% three weeks in a row for each and can complete them within the 3 second time limit. I can't think of a good reason to really have to do them any faster.... so where should I go with him from here? Obviously, he's mastered them, so now what?

This is a second grader. I don't think it's necessarily developmentally appropriate to mix the operations. I've toyed with this idea, too, but I question the purpose of that "drill." I could let him use the time for higher level skills... but need some ideas. Please do share!

Roadrunner22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Overlightnes

Old 02-08-2012, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If the student is gifted, developmentally appropriate practice is to accelerate the curriculum. Computation is clearly not an issue. Mixing the operations will probably not add a challenge. The best course of action is to move into the third grade curriculum if he is mastered the 2nd grade curriculum.
Overlightnes is offline   Reply With Quote