Help

BusyBoard

New Student-what to ask

>

rachelmpd

New Student-what to ask
Old 02-19-2012, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

When you get a new student half way through the year. what do you give them? Do you give them the first day letter? Not sure what to ask for either.

Instead of bringing in supplies, I asked my students at the beginning of the year for a $25.00 donation. This was to cover the cost of a magazine, their student planners, binders, supplies, and a couple of classroom projects. In October we did a Walk-A-Thon so that we would be able to go on Field Trips. The big trip we are going on in May will be about $40.00 per student. This trip is being paid for partially by what the students made from the Walk-A-Thon and partially by donations that I obtained. The goal was for each student to collect $50.00. I had 11 students hit or surpass that goal and had 23 out of 30 students actually contribute to the Walk (all I asked is that they tried, range was from $1.05-$330.00). Those that did not contribute will be asked to contribute the $40.00 for the bus. I haven't decided what I will do if they don't contribute towards the bus.

I got one student three weeks ago that is on free and reduced lunch on top of no communication from the mother (I had to corner a grandmother after school after a week and a half to get an emergency card), so I doubt anything is coming from them. Now I will get yet another new student on 2/27, how much do I ask (if they can afford anything) from her?

rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

check with the office
Old 02-19-2012, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When we have students with economic hardships, we ask them to send in what they can towards a field trip, and the office covers the rest. If the new student is not economically disadvantaged, I would ask for the $40.00, like the others would be paying.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

7more

New Student
Old 02-19-2012, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We are not allowed to ask students to provide anything. We teachers are expected to cover their cost. From pencils to field trips. I just did my taxes and realized I spent almost $2,000 on my students last year.
7more is offline   Reply With Quote

Roadrunner22

Unspoken thanks
Old 02-20-2012, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm not sure people realize how much we do for our students... so if nobody thanked you recently or told you how much they appreciate all you do.... Please consider this their unspoken words. Thank you for all you do!
Roadrunner22 is offline   Reply With Quote

7more

Thanks!
Old 02-24-2012, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What a nice thing to say.

7more is offline   Reply With Quote