Help

ARCHIVE

Grandparents Day

>

Bsketgrl

Grandparents Day
Old 02-03-2008, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our school is doing a Grandparents Day for the first time. Does anyone have any ideas of activities that would be fun for both the students and their grandparents to do?

Bsketgrl is offline   Reply With Quote

tammynj

Old 02-03-2008, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Just last week, during Catholic Schools Week, we had a Grandparents' Visitation Day. What I did was to have the children make family crests; I incorporated this into a Religion lesson (but I think it could be modified to fit Social Studies easily enough). Before Grandparents' Day, we discussed family crests and the different themes or personality traits some families had overall. We made up a list of about 12 different traits and then matched them with colors. I had drawn up and copied a blank family crest (I made what looked like a shield; in the center, I drew what looked like a ribbon (sort of) - this is where the child placed their family name; I sectioned the shield into quarters (two above the family name, two below). The kids then decided what four traits best personified their family's personalities and values and colored the crest in with those colors. They also added symbols to each section (I showed them one that I made for my family, but they were free to make up whatever symbols they wanted). They outlined all the sections with black or brown marker (this looked really nice) and then we glued each crest to a piece of construction paper and they cut the shield out so that a small, even piece of the colored paper showed all around the shield. They look quite nice, and are now hanging up in our hallway, with a "key" that explains what each color means.

It worked out pretty well, and the grandparents seemed to have fun helping their students. It also worked out b/c the students without a visiting grandparent could also work on their own crest without a problem.

Some other ideas - if it is school-wide, how about a scavenger hunt? In the classroom, maybe students and grandparents could work on math word problems?
tammynj is offline   Reply With Quote

kellihenry

More information
Old 02-03-2008, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Do you have the key you used for the colors and can you give me some examples of the personality traits you used? This sounds so neat and I would like to try it.

Thanks in advance,
Kelli
kellihenry is offline   Reply With Quote

tammynj

Old 02-04-2008, 03:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Okay, here is the "key" to the colors we used and the personality traits each symbolized. I really just guided the kids to some different traits, and they came up with the rest (so you could add or delete a few, as you see fit).

As far as making the shield, I might have googled the image of a blank shield and crafted that into a crest. I think the main thing is to add the "ribbon" in the middle, for the kids to put the family name.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Family Crest glyph (colors).doc (32.5 KB, 35 views)
tammynj is offline   Reply With Quote

Bsketgrl

Grandparents Day
Old 02-05-2008, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the input. It really sounds like a good idea. It's something that everyone can work on together.

Bsketgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
ReadTeach36

ReadTeach36

Grandparents' Day
Old 02-20-2008, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our school does a Grandparents'/Special Friends' Day every year. The special friends helps for those kids who don't have grandparents, or who have grandparents but they live too far away to attend. A few years ago we changed it to the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, and that really increased our attendance. I always have my kids do a reader's theater that fits with our curriculum. The grandparents love seeing their little ones performing, and the kids love it, too. Our PTA also hires a local celebrity to perform for the whole school. One year it was a local children's singer, another year it was a professional story teller.