Help

Substitute Teachers

Student Walk-Outs

>

YayaSub

Student Walk-Outs
Old 03-02-2018, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is anyone dealing with upcoming walkouts at your schools? It sounds like my school has students who are planning two: one 30 minute walkout and one no-show day. I have not heard how the administration plans to deal with it.

YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 03-02-2018, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had a chat with the principal at my school yesterday while we were doing cafe duty. He told me all the area schools were planning for kids to walk out of school on the 14th. At our school, they will gather on the football field, read the names of the 17 dead with a minute of silence after each name, and return to class.

If kids want to do a full day walkout on another day, they will get a minimal disciplinary action (rationale: part of civil disobedience is to own/experience any consequence of your disobedience) but it will not go on the student's record.

Many colleges have already notified schools and students that they will not be concerned by any suspension or other disciplinary action that comes as a result of action students take for this purpose.

Basically, students are not acting in opposition to the school. We all want schools to be safer. Kids are just drawing attention to that need.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote