Substitute Teachers

Emergency concern

>

Lumberman

Lumberman

Emergency concern
Old 03-03-2018, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I subbed for an inner city core area and surprise, surprise, no class lists. However, I should count my lucky stars because the middle school kids were well behaved for this teacher and were interested in the lesson. In other classes, not so which is why I avoid those jobs for now. So, no way to take roll and there was no class lists in the sub-folder. Fine, I just had them write their name.

Good thing there was a student teacher and he knows the students more, but that does not excuse me from my responsibility. So I asked this adult if there's a roll and he said to ask the grade-level lead and so I did. The leader/chair referred the matter back to the regular teach who was away on PD. There was also a note in the sub-plan to ask the lead teacher if there's any questions. Realizing that I was being given a run-around, I went to the main office and asked for class lists. Good thing that this teacher has a first period conference.

If an emergency happens, and there's no way to track students by subs since there's no rosters, it's gonna be difficult providing EOC lists of anyone missing.

There's something about that inner-city school that makes check and balance obsolete:
1) People in the office don't necessarily have the appropriate information for subs. I would expect that they would provide the subs lists that are updated. I can understand why lists may not always be current.
2) Passing the buck! A real tell-tale sign of bureaucracy.

broomrider

I always
Old 03-03-2018, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

ask in the office for an attendance class list and an extra for my notes to the teacher when I sign in.

Doing so has saved me many times both for taking attendance and for noting behaviors.

I started doing that after subbing for a special ed preschool with no attendance sheet and students who could not pronounce their names understandably. Yikes!!

Not sure that you were being given a deliberate run around, the lead teacher likely doesn't have class lists for another teacher and maybe didn't want to send you to the office to cover for the lack of attendance sheets of a colleague. As a sub, it's impossible to know the politics of a school until you've been there quite a while.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 03-03-2018, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Do you have experiences that in the inner city schools there are often no attendance sheets? Or do you think it's just the issue at that one school? Just curious.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

Current rolls
Old 03-04-2018, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I leave guests with current seating charts and this doubles as a roll. When reporting, guests I had worked with were given access to online attendance via temporary user and password.

I'm glad that your day went well and there was no emergency. I don't know why there's regular staff that seem to give guests a harder time by not providing the basics.
Mikhail is online now   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

You're right...
Old 03-05-2018, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We're a smaller school... what works here might not elsewhere.

I've got a fairly firm policy that I will not accept responsibility for a class if I don't have a list and have been known to stand in the office until I get it. But I've found that no matter who supplies it, it may not be accurate so I usually review it with the class. This works in elementary but gets a bit tougher with middle school as I may know my "homeroom" but have different kids at different times throughout the day.

Frankly, I'm less worried about attendance than an emergency. Knock on wood, I've never had a problem during an emergency/drill--the kids are quick to help and often faster than I would be working from a printed list. During a recent fire drill, they were able to tell me where everyone was by the time I realized we were two short--and I count pretty fast! "Stand still, darnnit!"

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote