Help

Substitute Teachers

Venting a little frustations.

>

RedRabbit

Venting a little frustations.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I mostly sub elementary. I keep finding myself in this situation. Where the kids just bombard me me with students just telling me what to do, how to do it, and what I am doing wrong consistently.

Yes, I read the lesson plan. I try my best to stick to the time tables in the lesson plan. I consistently get told by the students, we should be lining up for lunch, recess, specials even when its 10 to 15 minutes before the time we need to go. Trust me students, I will not just forget to walk you down to lunch, recces, or specials.

Those little classroom procedures where the teacher does not mentioned in the plan, but somehow I supposed to know. I get told by the students, and since they are not in the plan, I have no idea if I should be doing them or just ignore it.

I have been told by the student that I should go easy on other students because of x, y, and z.

A lot of times its just not 1 student, but many that tell me this same information.

Yes, this at times can be helpful. During a fire drill I typically have no idea where the students need to go for their specific place to stand. Most evacuation maps just have an arrow pointing out of the building.

Anyway sorry for venting, any tips of dealing with this situation.

RedRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
camulod
Old 03-06-2018, 02:12 PM
This message has been deleted by camulod. Reason: too much info

mooba1

Old 03-06-2018, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Ditto what camulod said, and even if it’s 3rd, 4th, or 5th grade, I use the “Do I look like (insert teacher’s name)? I say it very matter-of-factly, without being snarky. It works every time, and shuts down that line of conversation.

Holding up your hand in the stop sign position gives the clear signal you are not going to entertain any conversation b/c you’re busy. Your body language needs to match your non-verbal signals.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Work with it...
Old 03-07-2018, 03:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had to bite my tongue recently when kids were unpacking and getting ready for the day. One rather precocious young lady came up to me and said, "You're our sub?! I know, Mr. B. You'll be the teacher and I'll be the student, right?" She remembered! So did I--she's that self-appointed teacher's assistant that seems to exist in every class.

Since I subscribe to the "shared classroom management" theory I do take a lot of this in stride, but the kids know how the roles work when I'm their sub. I start with the assumption they are trying to be helpful... and when they start overdoing it, I question whether or not they are losing confidence in my leadership.

In extreme cases, we may stop for three minutes and talk about it--particularly if their "suggestions" are interfering with the tasks at hand. I also start the day making it very clear that there will be some small differences in their day but I do have instructions, etc. which I am responsible for following. Depending on the class, I may go so far as to say, "When I need your help, I'll ask." (And then ask a few times just to make the point--even if I think I know. ) That allows me to redirect "suggestions" by noting that I'm okay and didn't ask for help.

Sometimes I simply thank them for their suggestion and ignore it.

"Thanks for the reminder that we have to line up for lunch soon. I'm sure that means when the time comes you know how important it is to line up quickly and quietly."

I think the key is to be confident even if you're uncertain.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 03-07-2018, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sometimes I will kindly say, "Let me read you what your teacher wrote." Then I read the sentence in the plans and say that that is what we are doing today and they will go back to the routine tomorrow. Rarely I will give in and do the thing that they were supposed to do. Depends on the class.

However, I understand the bombardment: "You skipped this, that's not how we do it, we have to do it this way." And the kids are coming up to you to tell you and then they're tattling and you want to go home even though it's only 9 am. Those are the days we should get bonus pay.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

same as the others :)
Old 03-08-2018, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I sub for K-4th and am always amused that there are those "know it alls" in every class, even with the little ones!

I think a lot of it is that children take comfort in routine, and some get really rattled if the routine changes even a little bit (just your being there is a change in routine). I agree with the others who've posted. Just smile, hold up the lesson plan, and assure the kids that you are following their teacher's instructions. End of story. I always ask "Whose instructions should I follow? Yours or your teacher's?" Of course, that generally ends the conversation.

For me the key is finding the humor in it. Despite all their big talk, they're still only children, after all.

luv2teach2017 is online now   Reply With Quote

Here4TheCake

Old 03-08-2018, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've personally found, especially with 1st graders, that the know-it-all girl is usually the one causing the most problems throughout the day.
Here4TheCake is offline   Reply With Quote