Help

Substitute Teachers

Was I in the right building?

>

mommysubs

Was I in the right building?
Old 03-12-2018, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had an assignment today in the high school which went fine up until the last period. Then I could have sworn I had somehow warped into the elementary school. What high schooler can't be quiet during a movie? Can't be quiet during a quiz??? Can't keep their hands to themselves or follow directions? Can't stop throwing things??? Can't find their way back from the bathroom??? And then the movie was about baby development and this group would laugh hysterically every time a baby cried or got hurt. Is this the next generation who will be in charge of the world while my kids are growing up? Anyway, I had to send a few to the office and literally almost yell at the whole class. Yep...felt like I was lost in the 5th grade somewhere...definitely not with a bunch of seniors getting ready to graduate... I felt like a total failure after that class and then I came home to my toddlers acting the same way....ugh....

mommysubs is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Ugh!
Old 03-12-2018, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I hate when one class can ruin a day. At least it was last period. It seems that at my middle school, the last class of the day is the worst, no matter which class. Even the good kids turn into kindergartners or worse. At least I only come home to a cat, a dog, and a hubby.
mrsd5 is online now   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 03-12-2018, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Ugh, sometimes I wonder if there’s any hope at all for this upcoming generation, for a variety of reasons. There is definitely a trend toward extended adolescence, and while I don’t expect high school seniors to be fully mature, today’s kids are very much delayed in their emotional/social maturation.

DH and I see it in our own kids, who are 18 and 20, and act as we did when we were 16 and 18. God help us all.

ETA: I should add that there are kids (including my own, on occasion) that poke their heads up and let you know they have at least two neurons and a working synapse.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

mommysubs

Old 03-12-2018, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback and letting me vent.
Here's to hoping for a better day tomorrow....at the high school and at home with the little ones after! For now I'm going to complete a sudoku, breathe, and think of the beauty of the upcoming spring...
mommysubs is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Group Dynamics
Old 03-13-2018, 02:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

There are people who study that sort of thing... but I sometimes think the kids just need a release. I'm not sure what "triggers" it... but have had classes go seemingly out of control. I think sometimes you just have to go with it--at least to some extent. The group may just need a break. Personally, I think our scheduling and expectation of student behavior at school is unrealistic. Recesses are too short, kids in high school have three minutes to get from one class to the next...

One other thought is that once the group is "gone," it's nearly impossible to get it back, so it's really not so much a failure--it just is. "As long as nobody gets hurt and nothing gets broken..."

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote