Help

Substitute Teachers

I'm done!

>

c6g

I'm done!
Old 03-15-2018, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

No, I'm still subbing. I'm referring to students who decide they're finished with an assignment, and immediately announce it proudly to the teacher and anyone else who will listen.

I had it happen to me again yesterday in a fourth grade classroom. The quality of their informational writing samples wasn't very impressive, but one by one, they were out of their seats to let me know they had finished. Suggestions about rereading and adding more details were nothing but annoyances to them.

A few days ago, I distributed a short science assignment, and some raced through it as quickly as possible. This was followed by shouts of "I'm done. What should I do now?"

This seems to be happening more and more, and I'm sure it annoys regular teachers too.

c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 03-15-2018, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have a board full of "I'm Done" activities.

I tell them that they are never "done". I just let them leave at some point.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Maybe not...
Old 03-16-2018, 04:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I often "change" the classroom routine and require that students show me their work before putting it in the pass in basket. (Some teachers use this system, so it's not a change.) The subtle message is that I will help you decide whether or not you are finished.

Rarely do I say, "Okay." My favorite response is, "Is this your best work?" or "Are you really proud of what you've done here?" Most say, "Yes," but not all. Some kids will silently take it back to work some more. Other variations are "Will Ms. Regular Teacher like this?"

I make also make some suggestions."You forgot to put your name on the paper." or "Can you expand on this?" "Here's an idea..." "Hey, you didn't answer question three..."

We've created this by valuing completion over quality. I've occasionally tried to get a kid to understand that learning is a process, not an event.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote