Help

Substitute Teachers

Subbing Art

>

Cetti

Subbing Art
Old 02-27-2018, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have had 2 major student incidences this year and both were in HS art classes (2 different teachers, both are known to be "laid back" to put it nicely). It seems they let the kids cuss (which I have little tolerance for in the classroom, although I cuss outside of school, I tell the kids "there is a time and place for everything and the classroom isn't the time or place for this language.")

Although they do leave lesson plans, it is more like "have students work on finishing up their projects" and some are already finished or finish within 10 minutes, and we all know what that type of free time brings. I have them show and describe to me what they have done, and after verifying I tell them to work on homework or read. Another problem is that the art classroom doesn't seem to follow the same no phone policy in place in the rest of the building. Kids say they are using their phones to look up ideas/inspirations, which is some cases they are, but they do treat it like a free for all.

I have subbed for the other 2 HS Art teachers and had no issues. Kids even ask if they can use their phones to look something up related to their project. Also, more exact plans/timelines are given.

Guess I have answered my own inquiry: Seems it is the teachers not the subject of art that causes so much chaos. Won't be subbing for either one of those teachers again! (PS: The one I had problems with his class at the beginning of the year, I notice the jobs sit on Aesop for a while, so I know it isn't just me).

Thanks for reading. Aahh, I feel better.

Cetti is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 02-27-2018, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

See? I knew we could help!

While Art often tends to be more laid back, it's not limited to it. I asked about a playground rule recently (because a kid had asked me) and the answer was "It depends who is out here on duty."

Maybe we're trying to teach the kids flexibility?
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 02-28-2018, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Art class jobs go so fast when they come up on my app. I'd like to see how it is. I taught a newspaper class and the kids were really self motivated and awesome. I like seeing classes outside of the main general subjects I would never get to teach otherwise.

Last edited by Fractured; 02-28-2018 at 04:34 PM..
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 03-17-2018, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've subbed a lot of MS art and every single time I'm asked if a student can use their phone for inspiration. The next thing I see is a duck-lipped selfie on Snapchat. All.the.time.

Most of the art students are there because they love art and they stay focused the entire hour. They have sketch books to work in if they're done early. Then there are a small percentage of kids in their that don't like art (I guess they think it's an easy A???) and can hardly be motivated. Ugh.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote