Help

Substitute Teachers

No Life for subs?

>

theatersub

No Life for subs?
Old 03-01-2018, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone ever get the sense that as subs, we are not allowed to have our own lives or make plans outside of school?

Twice this week I've been called by "desperate" secretaries asking me to come in for the whole day when I'd been previously booked for the afternoon. Both times I mentioned having personal things I had been planning to attend to on those free mornings and both time I was ignored and/or pressured into taking a job I don't want to take. The second time the sub coordinator had the nerve to be annoyed with me (I was concerned about the logistics of subbing two half days for two high school teachers I know for a fact have different lunch periods), forgetting that I'm doing her a favor!

I know that as subs we are supposed to be flexible but I feel like I can't make plans anymore without them having to call me in. I already have a bunch of non-work days from illness and grad school interviews so I feel guilty putting more in, but maybe I will just to avoid this in the future.

Does anyone else feel like subs are expected to be at the beck and call of every single school, whether they want to or not?

theatersub is offline   Reply With Quote

Lumberman

Lumberman

You don't own me
Old 03-02-2018, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

"I'm not just one of your many toys..." Don't take them personal. You said your piece so get on. You know the source of their frustration, can't find a sub. Their emergency is not your problem. Next time, don't pick up or better yet let them or a system know in advance when you are not available. Simple.

substeph

Yes!
Old 03-02-2018, 07:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

And it is very stressful!! I've had to put in non work days as well but I've had some medical issues so I can't work everyday and yet it doesn't matter. I think districts are just really low on subs and can not fill the vacancies. They don't care about your plans or whatever you have they just want you in to fill the spot! Very frustrating!

I took this job for flexibility but it isn't very flexible at all
substeph is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

No
Old 03-02-2018, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quite the opposite, actually. I sub so my job fits into the rest of my life, and not the other way around. (But it took me a long time to feel confident with that, and it's still way easier for me to do with the electronic system than an actual person!)

"Appointment" is the magic word. If they call to extend a half day, just say you purposely took the half because of an appointment during the other half. (You don't have to mention that it's an "appointment with yourself" or a flexible errand you simply planned for that time. - There is already something else in your calendar, period.)

And I see nothing wrong with putting a "non-work day" in the system, or simply not answering the phone, either!
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Old 03-02-2018, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Why not just add a non-work day when you don't want a call? Aesop will not show you as an available sub, and you should not get a phone call. Maybe the sub coordinator sounded "annoyed" because she wasted her time calling someone who looked available when they actually had no intention of working then.

I agree with the above, and I do this job specifically for the flexibility and freedom. They know (or should) that many people sub because of other commitments they have. They are used to it.

Whenever I have had a lunch conflict due to two half days, they have always made sure I got my full lunch time, even if someone from the office had to cover for me. You are entitled to that, and I think they would accommodate it when you point it out.

YayaSub is online now   Reply With Quote

c6g

Yes!
Old 03-02-2018, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

In one of my districts, I've stopped accepting most half-day positions. When I'm looking at posted jobs and there are two available at the same school (morning and afternoon), I'll usually do it. If two are posted for schools close to each other, I'll sometimes do it. Otherwise, I usually won't.

The worst is to accept a morning-only job, and then receive a desperate call for an afternoon job at a school several miles away. Subs know the routine: straighten up the room, finish the note, and dash to the next school with very little to time to go to the bathroom, eat lunch, and look over the lesson plan. It would be nice to enter the second school through the door closest to the parking lot, but for security reasons, that's usually not possible anymore. I used to do the two-schools-in-one day routine all the time, but not anymore.
To avoid these desperate phone calls, I'll enter a non-work day when the only choice is a half-day job.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

mommysubs

Yep.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I did a half day for a teacher today in the afternoon. He asked me what school I had come from to be there in the afternoon, assuming that naturally I don't have a life outside of subbing all day, every day. He seemed to think it completely strange when I told him that I was at home with my sick kids this morning (not that it's any of his business). Yes, we "subs" have lives and families outside of 'tutin' around all day every day. Made a lion and leprechaun craft with my kids this morning so they would be forced to sit and rest for at least a little while...
mommysubs is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 03-17-2018, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Even if I haven't cancelled out the day in Aesop and I may be wishy-washy on taking a job, I feel like I can't relax until noon when there won't be any more jobs for the day. Anyone else?
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

My Suggestion
Old 03-18-2018, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Don’t say anything more than, “I’m sorry, but I’m not available today.”

And just repeat it if they pressure you and add, “but I really appreciate that you thought of me!” Or “but I am still available for tomorrow if you would like.”

Remember that secretaries are usually desperate when someone calls off at the last second. It doesn’t excuse their behavior at all, but their frustration is understandable.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

That is the beauty of a phone call vs. Aesop
Old 03-18-2018, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

You can just say that you are "booked" for the other half of the day without explanation. They can't argue if you don't offer an explanation or excuse.

I didn't share if the other half was booked as a spa day, manicure, doctor's appointment or a late lunch...

To me, the best part of being a sub is the freedom of working when you want.

whatever is offline   Reply With Quote