Substitute Teachers

central location

>

Lumberman

Lumberman

central location
Old 03-14-2018, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Before I vent a little, I just want to show gratitude for things that went well today: People being safe, keyS (note the capital "s") to rooms, well informed clerks in the office...

So today, I was all over a campus. I barely had time to go to a teacher's regular room because I was doing coverage for two teachers. Would it be too much to ask if teachers who are sharing the same sub write one set of instructions for the sub? And then leave it with a clerk in the main office for the sub to collect.

I know that it's impossible to think and mention everything but consider this as a guide: If a substitute is going to be all over a building (or two sometimes), this adult will need access, keys. And sometimes it's difficult to navigate even if there's a map. If the subs have no access and if custodians are busy, it's probably a feasible idea to leave all the materials and plan in a subfolder in the main office.

mrsd5

Preach it!
Old 03-14-2018, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The key thing really bothers me. Today I was middle school p.e. The girls' locker room must be locked at all times when students are in p.e. Didn't happen. I kept the door locked, but blocked the door open. It did close once, and I had to send a student to get the sub key. Yes, there is only one sub key for the building. UGH! Usually the p.e. teacher leaves her key for me in her mailbox, but with two sick kids, she couldn't make it to school today. It is SO frustrating, especially since I taught in that school for nearly my entire career.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 03-14-2018, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Another one is when you have a roving sub that is covering 2 1/2 hour blocks for a teacher, there is a good chance they are going to need a key because classroom doors are not to be left unlocked. Lunch, computers ( we have no computer lab teachers) yard duty. You name it, it has happened.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 03-15-2018, 05:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In our building, our teachers often don't realize that they are sharing a sub. Or the subjects taught are different, so one set of directions wouldn't work.

I do see how leaving the materials in the main office would be easier for the substitute. However, none of the teachers have keys to the office, so we wouldn't be able to leave them unless it was during regular school hours. Fortunately I typically know ahead of time when I will be out, so that could be arranged However, I would worry about getting plans to the office on those days when I'm making plans outside of school hours because I'm sick.

It's hard to get a plan that works for everybody all the time.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Lumberman

Lumberman

definitely
Old 03-18-2018, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

"hard to get a plan that works for everybody"

I have to agree. There's days when I have had to cover for other teachers in the same building due to the unexpected and I go all over the place with all materials in tow. Not that this matters but I have learned to pack light and sometimes without my bag of tricks. I get that. However there's also regular staff that work closely together.

SubMan

I hear ya
Old 03-18-2018, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
So today, I was all over a campus. I barely had time to go to a teacher's regular room because I was doing coverage for two teachers. Would it be too much to ask if teachers who are sharing the same sub write one set of instructions for the sub? And then leave it with a clerk in the main office for the sub to collect.

I know that it's impossible to think and mention everything but consider this as a guide: If a substitute is going to be all over a building (or two sometimes), this adult will need access, keys. And sometimes it's difficult to navigate even if there's a map. If the subs have no access and if custodians are busy, it's probably a feasible idea to leave all the materials and plan in a subfolder in the main office.
Did you have "coverages" during planning periods? If I have days like that I go to the teacher's room before students arrive to review the plans and to assess if needed materials are ready. One more reason why I arrive 15 minutes before my scheduled time.

They will trust us to teach and manager a classroom of students but not with keys to the rooms. Over the last few years I've been through 5 lock down drills where I could not secure the door, you think they would have learned by now.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 03-18-2018, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
In our building, our teachers often don't realize that they are sharing a sub. Or the subjects taught are different, so one set of directions wouldn't work.

I do see how leaving the materials in the main office would be easier for the substitute. However, none of the teachers have keys to the office, so we wouldn't be able to leave them unless it was during regular school hours. Fortunately I typically know ahead of time when I will be out, so that could be arranged However, I would worry about getting plans to the office on those days when I'm making plans outside of school hours because I'm sick.

It's hard to get a plan that works for everybody all the time.
Not to be contrary but here are some ways subs could get lesson plans in the office when they check in.

1. Drop them off on the way out the door (okay, I know the office is locked when teachers leave late).
2. Drop them off in the morning (okay, I know teachers get there early and the office is locked).
3. Place a table outside the office where they could be dropped off subs can pick them up there.
4. Email them to the school secretary who can print them out for the sub.
5. Create a sub folder which is checked out and returned to the office at the end of the day. Daily plans are added to the folder.
6. Secretary prints out plans that were turned into the principal (requires a dropbox like system).
7. Email them to school secretary if you are home sick.

See easy peasy. I borrowed each and everyone of these ideas from schools where I sub.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Lumberman

Lumberman

regular has no room
Old 03-18-2018, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

"Did you have "coverages" during planning periods?"

The regular teacher I was covering for moves between rooms. She did not have a permanent base she can call her own. But the other teacher that was in the same department has a regular room. So in the set of instructions I was given it had mentioned to cover in Room X. So a sub expects the instruction to be in that room. As you understand, it's a good idea if they're just in the main office. Better yet, because of Aesop, it's much better if they had uploaded things there. Moving between rooms to access the instructions won't be a hassle.

Ima Teacher

Old 03-18-2018, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Secretary has her own morning duties, so printing plans isn't convenient.

We do have sub folders. However, the same issue applies when the office is locked.

There is a table outside the office. It has the visitor sign-in stuff and random other items for visitors. I'd hesitate to leave my sub plans out where the general public and students could access it since these plans do often include confidential student information.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote