Substitute Teachers

Banned and Muted

>

FunSub1

FunSub1

Banned and Muted
Old 03-21-2018, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was greatly enjoying my time as a substitute in one particular school district. Specifically, in one small elementary school, where I always felt welcome and was greeted regularly by people who seemed very appreciative of the fact that I was willing to go there, when oftentimes they had sub shortages. One lady with a walkie-talkie made it a point to thank me, every single day that I was there. There was also a kindergarten aide who liked working with me, and would always alert me of when new jobs would be posted by her teacher on Aesop. I always worked hard, such as the time that I fit three days of work into two days, when one of the days was cancelled due to the snow. I was always invited to their frequent, massive staff breakfasts. I was there on the last school day before Christmas, and I felt like a member of the team. The principal was also very cordial.

Recently, I was banned from the entire district. The problem is that I work for a sub agency, and they have basically muted me from having any further contact with that school district. So I have no way of finding out why they banned me, unless the district chooses to offer me a reason, which they haven't done so at this time. So, I am forced to leave all of my positive experiences (and contacts/references) behind. If I worked for the school district directly, then I could at least try to contact HR. But I can't risk angering my sub agency, who reminded me that they have to oblige by the school district's wishes, and that the school district has no legal obligation to provide a reason for my ban. Sometimes, especially when working for several school districts under one sub agency, you can't say anything, and you can't find out why.

Speaking of why, I have absolutely no idea, as this ban came completely out of left field. I was never given any negative feedback, or any indications that anything was wrong. Perhaps I ate one too many donuts at one of those staff breakfasts, and somebody, in turn, complained about that.

SubMan

Old 03-21-2018, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

See my reply to the other thread “let go by staffing agency.”

Are you with one staffing agency for all your work? Are their other places where you can sub? I don’t trust what the staffing agency has told you. I would be making discreet inquiries with friendly staff to see what you can find out. I would not put it past a staffing agency to tell you one thing and the district another.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 03-21-2018, 11:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Have you considered talking to a lawyer to see what your rights are?
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

mistaken identity
Old 03-21-2018, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Is this a case of mistaken identity? Good grief.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

could you
Old 03-21-2018, 08:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

call the friendly principal and explain that you haven't deserted that school that you enjoy so much but have been told by your employment agency that you've been banned from the district for unknown reasons.

You might get some sort of information. It's a social call, you've not entered the building so no trespassing--just to let them know you are sorry not to be there anymore.

You might want to ask for a letter of recommendation if the call goes well. It's good to have those things in a file against need.

You'll be taking a chance, because if it's reported to your agency you could be in trouble.

Just a thought, followed by a second thought. I have no idea what I'd do in your situation.

broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 03-22-2018, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Something similar happened to me a year ago. Being treated that way leaves us feeling confused and devastated. I almost quit subbing for good after that. Fortunately, I found another district that treats substitute teachers more fairly.

Others on this Board have also posted about being blocked without warning or explanation. It's part of being at the bottom of the food chain ... we substitute teachers are easy targets because we can be terminated without cause.

Please don't blame yourself. You may just be the innocent victim of district politics or budget cuts. Put it behind you and move on to a place where you are more valued.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 03-22-2018 at 03:20 PM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 03-22-2018, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have been banned from seven of the 77 schools in my three districts, I have a clean record in only one district.

For three of the schools I know why I am banned, and only one is my fault. The one that is my fault is really bad luck.

The other four I have no idea, but I had only positive experiences at all of them.

All it takes is one frivolous complaint that someone blows out of proportion.

It can happen to anyone.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 03-24-2018, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I agree with broomrider. Call the principal. You have nothing to lose.

I have a thought about your problem. If it's true, it's unfair, but perhaps it did happen to you.

In my many years of subbing, I've noticed a truth: subs are not, and never will be, considered the equals of regular teachers. Yes, there are some teachers who are very welcoming. They will urge you to join them for lunch in the staff lounge, and beg you to come to a staff appreciation meal. They will sometimes pour out their hearts to you, and are very sincere. There is absolutely no reason to doubt that they really want you to be with them.

Other teachers (the percentages vary) are not as welcoming. They are friendly to subs and try to be helpful, but don't consider them to be their equals. They'll usually tolerate subs in the staff lounge, but prefer that they don't mix into regular teacher conversations. When I'm in a staff lounge like that, I'll say hello, quietly eat my lunch, and leave.

The honest truth is that subs have to "know their place." It's for that reason that I try to avoid staff appreciation meals. Some teachers invite me from time to time and I sometimes make a brief appearance, but that's it. I see what's going on, and know that deep down, many regular teachers don't want subs with them.

Last year, I was once eating lunch in an empty staff lounge. I asked a parapro who walked in where everybody was, and she said there was a teacher appreciation luncheon going on. Although I probably could have walked in and helped myself, I was never actually invited. For a moment I was hurt, but I got over it quickly. They really didn't want subs there, and that was just the way it was!

Some regular teachers who read this board will probably disagree with me. I'm sure they're very sincere, and they're the ones who always go out of their way to make subs feel welcome. Thank you! The honest truth, however, is that many teachers prefer that subs "know their place."

It's for this reason that I suggest that you avoid any staff appreciation meals in your future subbing assignments. I wonder if a few insecure teachers complained and got you banned. If you're invited to a meal, thank those inviting you, but politely decline.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

You may never know.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I started subbing when I retired early from my regular teaching job. One of the biggest shocks to me has been how two-faced and petty regular teachers can be toward subs, although I really shouldn't have been surprised since I certainly knew they can be that way towards each other.

As a sub, you can be resented by some regular teachers if the kids like you too much. At the same time, they will sometimes believe whatever bogus story kids tell them about how "mean" you were. Sometimes you can get caught in some kind of ugly power struggle between teachers and administrators and you may not ever find out what it was about. This is one of the reasons they don't want you in the staff room: they're afraid you might tattle to administration about what they say. I think you can tell a lot about the overall professionalism of a teacher by how he/she treats substitute teachers. The ones that are petty to subs are probably perfectly willing to throw their coworkers under the bus, too. It is galling, though. I especially love having twenty-somethings who have maybe five years experience talk down to me.

I don't know if you'd find out very much by contacting a principal. I sub for four different districts with a total of 12 schools but, out of 12 schools, only 2 have principals who involve themselves in substitute teacher issues at all. Honestly, in 30+ years of teaching, I only ever had two administrators who had the slightest clue about what was going on in the building.

If you have other districts you can sub for, I'd say just move on and don't worry about it.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

districts
Old 03-31-2018, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

There should be a district sub coordinator you can contact to get to the bottom of this. Usually if there is a problem, they contact YOU and try to discuss what has happened and get your side of the story.
If you were simply cut off, it may just be a technical malfunction.

Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote