Help

Substitute Teachers

sub jobs other than teacher

>

substeph

sub jobs other than teacher
Old 03-10-2018, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone ever picked up a sub job other than teaching? I saw some clerical absences and some library aides, paras, etc. I'm thinking about taking one just to get a break from being "on" all day long. It's very exhausting. Has any sub on here ever done this for a break? Just wondering.....feeling tired

substeph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 03-10-2018, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do Library Aide and Resource Assistant. I sometimes just need the break from being respondsible for a whole class. They pay about $2 per hour less than classroom subbing.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 03-10-2018, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I’ve never seen sub jobs in my district for clerical or library aides. Paras, yes, but no way am I taking one of those jobs. The district is always asking teacher subs to “please consider taking some of the para positions once in a while, as they are so difficult to fill”. Uh-huh. Not many teacher subs are willing to work for $49 a day. Yeesh, they don’t even pay the regular paras near what they’re worth.

<Mooba steps down off her soapbox> To answer your question, I once accepted a two-day job (verbal request) from a para b/c I thought she was a teacher. Since I had already agreed to do it, I honored the request, but I politely told her it just wasn’t worth it to me to take those jobs in the future. The para jobs pay less than half of what I make as a teacher sub, and have almost as much teaching responsibility as the teacher jobs. The good paras are worth their weight in gold.

Clerical or library aide might not be a bad gig, just for a little break.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

Old 03-10-2018, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you had signed up to temp for positions then I would expect that you'd get assignments beyond teaching. I know of supplies that had covered as custodians but when I had subbed I just wanted the assignments from middle to high school minus PE and the practical arts. The rates must vary naturally.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

mkesub

Old 03-11-2018, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've taken a job as the secretary/receptionist at a small school. I took it because I know the school very well. I know the staff & students and the person whose job I was filling in for. It was a nice break for the day. Mainly I buzzed people in at the door, answered the phone and transferred the calls if needed, and dealt with kids who were sent down for band aids or ice packs, or who needed to go home early. It was a little chaotic at the beginning and end of the day, and very relaxing and quiet during the time between.

mkesub is online now   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Check carefully
Old 03-11-2018, 10:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

some of the aide positions are one to ones for severely impaired or behavior problem students. While there is nothing wrong with the positions, they can be stressful or physically demanding for less pay which pretty much defeats the less exhausting search.

Some districts will pay teacher sub rates for aide work. It is good to be sure what the requirements and pay are before you click.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Interesting question...
Old 03-12-2018, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Our previous superintendent warned me that it was her goal to see that I had a crack at every job at school. The day she warned me, I ended up driving special ed kids home in the school van. I have volunteer-assisted the custodian. But what I've found (we're a relatively small school, I know the kids, they know me) is that every job is teaching job, really.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Cetti

Old 03-14-2018, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

At one of the districts I work at you make the teacher sub pay for the day even if you sub for a para. So it is nice to change it up once in a while. However, they do get less breaks. I have seen jobs for nurse and secretary a handful of times but never took them.
Cetti is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 03-14-2018, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I probably would to break up the monotony, but the pay isn't worth it compared to teaching.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote