MS/HS: Do you wait until the bell rings to start? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

MS/HS: Do you wait until the bell rings to start?

>

artladyhere

MS/HS: Do you wait until the bell rings to start?
Old 03-24-2018, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Or do you settle them down before the bell?

I've always let them chat until the bell rings and then I begin.

Yesterday I subbed 7th grade and there was a para in there and she took the reigns and made the kids stop talking and get settled in their seat with almost 2 minutes before the bell was to ring...and then she started telling them to get their work out....what they need to work on and to get started.

artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Lumberman

Lumberman

helpful or overly?
Old 03-24-2018, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It depends right? How do you feel about the para establishing it for you? I wouldn't take it personal and I hope that it didn't rub you off the wrong way. It's nice that someone knows the routine and that all you gotta do is maintain order and momentum.

But to answer your question, I would had waited a few minutes and then take roll. I am usually a bit permissive especially after lunch.

I was in an ESL class last week and students were being loud and there was another EA that yelled at them. I didn't think it was that loud and students were completing the task and were on task. I didn't think it was necessary but since the EA knew them better and their usual, I didn't let it rub off on me.

luv2teach2017

Who's in charge?
Old 03-24-2018, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My question is, why is the para taking charge of the class in the first place? If you are the teacher assigned to the class, isn't it your call how to conduct class?
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 03-24-2018, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm not a sub, but in my school we are required to have an assignment (bell-ringer) for students to begin working on as soon as they enter the classroom. It sets the expectation that they are in the room to work and learn. I close the door and take attendance when the bell rings, but students are all working already. I like it. My middle schoolers can get a bit rowdy if they're left alone without directions while I'm on duty in the hall. I don't like that!

I hope you don't take offense when a para gets on the kids. If the para is a regular to the class, he/she knows the expectations and won't let the kids take advantage of a sub being there. When I used to sub, I appreciated a para's support.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 03-24-2018, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I wait until the bell. I know if I start before the bell it will ring and interrupt me. I let them have that 1 or 2 minutes before the bell rings. Sometimes we sit staring at each other and I just say, "I'll start when the bell rings."

Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 03-24-2018, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

In my view, it's a matter of job description...whose responsibility is it to conduct the class? In my districts, the substitute teacher is held responsible. In that case, it behooves the substitute teacher to be in charge, using their best judgement and professional expertise.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 03-24-2018, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I great them at the door and have what they need to do on the smart board or overhead (yes, one district still uses these).
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 03-24-2018, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We are also required to have a bell ringer for students to work on when they arrive, so they are expected to begin work as soon as they arrive.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Subinnc

Old 03-25-2018, 06:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Most classes I sub in have a warm up or bell ringer that the kids are expected to come in and get started on. I usually give them a minute or two to come in, get settled, socialize under the guise of finding someone to lend them a pencil...then I remind them of what they should be doing and insist they do it.
Subinnc is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

would you feel different
Old 03-25-2018, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Another way of looking at it is what if the person that tried to do the "right" thing were a student? a school volunteer? What if it was another teacher next door? A custodian? A fellow sub who is your bff? What if it's a fellow sub who is not your bff? What if it were the principal? See what I mean?

Everyone has their own agenda.

Last edited by Mikhail; 03-25-2018 at 02:41 PM..
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 03-26-2018, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I welcome help by established staff. It can be helpful when the kids know there's an adult in there that understands the expectations. On the other hand, MOST of the TIME--- it feels like I'm being undermined and useless. I hate that wishy-washy feeling.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 03-27-2018, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have worked with hundreds of paras since I do a lot of special ed, and no two are the same, so I have learned to adjust to their varying styles and do not have any expectations the first 10 or 15 minutes.
I soon adjust to their style, and learn what they want to do and what they want me to do.

It makes no sense for me to take control right away since the paras , relatively speaking, know everything about the students and the routine, while I know nothing.

Usually the paras take care of daily routines such as circle time, opening music, and calendar, and then I will take care of the rest of the day, presenting the lessons that vary from day to day.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

I wait for the bell unless....
Old 03-28-2018, 03:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

...I'm seeing a lot of inappropriate behavior. I'm okay with a para taking control of the class unless she uses it as an excuse to give a negative report about me later - and I think that's happened to me once. I'm less enthusiastic about paras who travel with students simply because I get tired of watching them sitting around playing with their cellphones instead of paying attention to the student they're with. Not that they all do that, by any means, and sometimes they're a tremendous help.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 03-28-2018, 04:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Since there are two issues here...

I wait for the bell... unless the class gets out of hand. Our time and regimentation expectations are, in my opinion, unrealistic. Giving the kids a two-minute breather makes sense to me.

The para discussion is a percentage game. I've worked with some really good ones and some relatively useless ones. I find the best defense is a good offense and I initiate a conversation with any paras to clarify expectations. It is true that paras often know classroom policy/procedure better than I do--I try to tap into that right at the start--it gives me a good sense of what to expect. Most are willing to "team up." Some take the day off. A few will use the opportunity to demonstrate their power... I choose my battles.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 03-28-2018, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I usually wait for the bell, but I will usually ask kids to get into their seats and take out what they need a minute before it rings. That way at least things get settled down a little right when the class is supposed to start.

As for paras, like others here, I find them to be either really helpful or completely useless. Most of the time they are on their phones the whole period and I find that really unprofessional and it makes it harder to ask the kids to stay off their phones when the adults are not setting the example.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote