Help

Retired Teachers

Ending my first year

>

sky22

Ending my first year
Old 04-07-2015, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am in the final months of my first year of retirement. Notice, my calendar/fiscal year is still on school time. This is my first year of not teaching after 35 years in the classroom. I just read the post of Oddsock's and realized it would have helped me more with the transition if I had come on this board more often. It has been an adjustment and was made more difficult because we moved to a new town where I don't know anyone. I am adjusting and some days it feels glorious and others I feel purposeless. There were some wonderfully reassuring posts on the thread and it helps to know that this is a process of discovering who we are without being a teacher.

So, thanks to those that were so reassuring on that thread.

sky22 is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 04-07-2015, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It sounds like normal emotions after leaving teaching for sure. Add to that a move where you don't know anyone. That is exciting, but could also get pretty depressing.

Do hang out here more! We would love to chat with you!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr Sensai

Old 04-07-2015, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm in a new town/country (though lived here in the past) and it gives me an excuse to go out and be friendly to the locals. I spent one day last week hanging out at a local cafe and attempting to speak the local language all while getting free water. 2 hours well spent in my book.

Maybe since you have free time now you can explore the local area. See what services the local area has to offer. Check out the local library too.
Mr Sensai is offline   Reply With Quote

connieg

school year
Old 04-08-2015, 03:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I smiled at your mention of still being on the school year calendar. I pondered how long it takes us to start measuring life using August to July as our time measurement?

I think it is important for all retirees to keep trying new things. The things we rely on sometimes evaporate and we need to keep evolving. I agree that the library and even the senior centers can be a great resource. I just finished intro to ballroom dancing at the local center!
connieg is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolyn

Old 04-08-2015, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I know how you feel. This is my first year of retirement, also, and I have thought some of the same thoughts as you and others here. It is funny how I am thinking it's spring break, even though my life is full of spring break. I guess it's because my school friends are on it now, and I'm happy for them.

As I reflect upon my first year of retirement, I think of what a whirlwind it has been for me. In August and September I was in a cast and boot because of a broken ankle. In October I was free of that, and finally began to pursue my leisurely dreams. We have been on a few day trips to the zoo and the Biltmore House in Asheville, NC. We've been on a few cruises to the Caribbean.

For those of you contemplating retirement and will be retiring, I hope your beginning is much happier than mine was.

Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote

canteach

Wow!
Old 04-08-2015, 06:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

A whole year already. Time sure flies. I am still on the maiden voyage till June.
Glad you made your way here. Love to hear what all my fellow retirees are doing with their newfound freedom. Keep us posted on how year #2 is going.
canteach is offline   Reply With Quote

GHVFAN

sky22
Old 04-08-2015, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I remember those feelings well during my first year of retirement. This year has been much better.

Please visit our board more often.
GHVFAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

sky22
Old 04-08-2015, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I also encourage you to visit this board more often. It really, really is helpful in finding kindred spirits.
Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

sky22

Thanks
Old 04-08-2015, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank you all for the positive thoughts and the affirmation that I am not alone in the give and take of my feelings towards my new life. I will plan to visit more often as many suggested. Appreciate your words, support and thoughts.
sky22 is offline   Reply With Quote

LaVerne

With you!
Old 04-09-2015, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

With you....sky22....with you. My feelings exactly. New town for me as well. Husband still working. Had some medical stuff this first year so whatever I've started, I've had to pull back on. Just with you in many ways! Floating...floating....floating .....which is better than the stress of my past few years. But that purposeless feeling persists.

LaVerne is offline   Reply With Quote

2grade

Old 04-09-2015, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I hear you, Sky22. Many of us have the same feelings. You left the stress of teaching behind but moving to a new town can be stressful, too. Please give yourself some credit for making it thus far.
Retirement is a journey that may include some missteps. Enjoy the "glorious days" but don't discount those "purposeless ones". Without them, those glorious days might seem just ordinary.
2grade is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Can you
Old 04-10-2015, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Join some groups who share similar interests with you? Look into what your senior center has to offer? Take up a new hobby or activity? Become a member of a health club? Is there a church or temple you may wish to attend? All ways to meet possible new friends since you are new to your area. That would be important to me if I ever moved.

I know here in CA I have greatly enjoyed getting involved in my local division of the California Retired Teachers Association which is not connected to any Union but just for retired educators. Also known as CalRTA. I've made friends with people who taught in a neighboring district whom I would never have met but for this group. Lots of fun activities as we are an active group.

Good luck as you find the joys of retirement!
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 04-10-2015, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
I am adjusting and some days it feels glorious and others I feel purposeless.
I struggled with this the first year of retirement. If I didn't accomplish a huge list of tasks I felt anxiety. I had a group of friends who retired with me and one of the gals walked me through the purposeless days. Now I have one day after another like that and it's no problem. I've managed to find some volunteer work that I feel passionate about and that has certainly helped. Hang in there and enjoy the slower pace.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote