Retired Teachers

Question of the week

>

1959mm

Question of the week
Old 04-10-2015, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Family Feud week...

Are you the oldest, middle child, youngest, or only child in your family? Share a favorite memory of your family. It does not have to be about a feud!!!!

1959mm is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 04-10-2015, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There are 2 of us (sisters)and I'm the oldest. We shared a room for many years and would often talk and play when we were supposed to go to sleep. Every time we heard our mom start down the hall we would dive under the blankets and pretend to be asleep
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

jmb

Old 04-10-2015, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My parents would laugh when I would say I was the middle child when there were 4 kids. But in my defense, my youngest brother as born when I was 13 and I felt like I was the "middle" child during my so called formative years. Can't think of a favorite memory, they were all good. I will always remember my dad's sense of humor and quick wit which would often irritate my mom which made all of us laugh more. Poor mom.
jmb is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 04-10-2015, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am the younger -- 2 of us sisters. One thing I really remember is one of my dad's friends reading books to me when he would come to visit. My dad was laid off in the winter so these two guys would get together a couple of times a week to visit. I loved it when Harold visited. He was putty in my 5 year old hands!
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

Literata

I am the oldest
Old 04-10-2015, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

of four. One of my favorite childhood memories is going to sleep to the sound of my dad's trumpet and my mother's piano playing and singing. What a lullabye. We always felt loved. We always felt secure. I wish every child had those gifts.

Literata is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 04-10-2015, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm the youngest of two. I was definitely a daddy's girl from the get-go.

Sitting here thinking about him, I remember telling him I would never get too old to sit in his lap for a cuddle. (and I never did, for as long as he lived )
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolyn

Old 04-10-2015, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am the middle child sandwiched between two boys. I remember snowball fights with them when I was growing up.

By the way, I hate to sound like a grammar freak, but if there are only two of you, you are either an older sister/brother or younger. Oldest/youngest applies to three or more. Not trying to upset anyone. I taught English, so this is a pet peeve of mine.
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote

HenrySam

Old 04-10-2015, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am the 4th in the line of 9 kids but the first girl! My 3 older brothers were so excited that finally they got a girl to do dishes....they forgot I had to grow up to do it!
HenrySam is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

my family
Old 04-10-2015, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am the 4th child of 5.

I remember one day when my two older brothers got everyone and some of the neighborhood kids in a line with all of our "vehicles" (mine was a tricycle) and tied us together so that we formed a chain. They were at the head with their bicycles. My youngest brother was in a red wagon at the end. I think I was about five.

There seemed to be a major struggle to get the train moving, but I do remember that we finally turned the corner out of the driveway before they gave up on getting us to start at the same time and keep going.
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 04-10-2015, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am the middle of three, and only girl, though my older brother is so much older that he left for college when I was two! So, that makes me kind of like an oldest child too. One of my fondest memories with my siblings is when my parents flew my younger brother and me to visit our older brother and SIL. I was 14 and he was 11. We had a blast being away from our parents and took us to so many new and exciting places, including Hershey Park, Washington DC, an Orioles game and on a train ride through Amish Country!

Nancy

BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

Answer of the week
Old 04-11-2015, 04:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I am the oldest, I have a younger brother and sister. They were born when I was 7 and 13. My favorite memory is spending time swimming in the evening when my dad would get home from work. My mom would pack a picnic dinner and we would swim at one of the local lakes. Back in the day there was no A/C so it would be a way to cool down.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

LuBelle

I am Older!
Old 04-11-2015, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have one brother two years younger. I guess we had quite a bit of sibling rivalry. He remembers me wrestling him down on the bed and spitting in his face. When he grew bigger he paid me back by constantly punching me in the arm. My mother had to hire a baby sitter for us until we were teenagers to keep us from killing each other. Later we resolved our differences and formed a pact to torment our babysitters. I remember one night when our neighbor's son was "babysitting" (He was only two years older than ME. So humiliating.) my brother and I decided to torment the sitter. We spent some time telling scary ghost and murderer stories. Then later my brother sneaked into the basement and made some banging noises in the backyard. The babysitter was freaked out! My brother said, "There's someone in the backyard!! Here take my BB gun and investigate." The poor babysitter was scared to death, but he took a flashlight and the BB gun and poked around behind the house for awhile. Meanwhile my little brother and I laughed so hard we were crying! When he returned and saw us laughing he was FURIOUS! Needless to say he never came back to babysit again and my parents gave up on babysitters! My brother and I are still very close even though he lives 1,000 miles away. My SIL recalls the day he asked her to marry him. After she said "Yes", he said, "And my sister has to be in the wedding." That was over 40 years ago. I love my little brother!!
LuBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Childhood memory
Old 04-11-2015, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I am one year older than my brother. As kids we really liked that we were one girl and one boy so we didn't directly compete with each other or get compared too much. Now I sometimes wish I had a sister, too, although I love and get along well with my brother.

A special memory is going everywhere on our bicycles, to school, to stores, to visit friends, and even to church. I think we were the only parishioners whose whole family regularly rode bicycles to Sunday Mass.

Now I see adults on expensive bicycles, but I rarely see kids ride.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

LuBelle
Old 04-11-2015, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Your sibling story made me laugh out loud! I'm still laughing!

BTW, have you ever read the O. Henry story, "The Ransom of Red Chief"?
I think you and your brother would both enjoy it! It will remind you of your pact to torment your babysitters.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

2grade

Old 04-11-2015, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I am #2 of four girls and 2 boys. As #2, I was like Avis to Hertz, always trying harder to keep up with my big sister. We shared tons of chores, a double bed and a room for many years. Growing up, I remember always arguing with my older sister. Now we're best friends.
2grade is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

Two kids
Old 04-11-2015, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

My brother is two years older than I am.

My favorite memory isn't specific. It's just the playing with neighborhood kids that we did all year long. We rode bikes in the summer, caught lightening bugs, and got sprayed when Dad held the water hose. We sled all winter long. So much fun.
Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 04-11-2015, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I was the youngest of two. I have tons of happy childhood memories playing in our backyard. We invented our own games and often made some of our toys. It was a simple "be home before the streetlights came on" kind of life.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

sky22

Family
Old 04-11-2015, 08:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I was the second of 5 children.
Memory: There were tons of kids in our neighborhood and our house happened to have the most play equipment. One of my favorite memories is putting on circuses and plays in our backyard with all the neighborhood kids after we had practiced all week. We would go door to door in the neighborhood to sell tickets for 5 cents and then put the circus or play on for all the neighbors. Then we would use the money to buy treats for the cast party. (Usually kool aid, M & Ms and potato chips. ) Parents and neighbors actually came to our performances!!
sky22 is offline   Reply With Quote

twinsister

Youngest of 7
Old 04-12-2015, 04:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

My mom had 4 children in a row...seven years later my brother...seven years later TWINS. I grew up in a very loud and busy home with lots of family and friends always around me.
My dad was 52 when I was born so he retired while I was still in high school. He and my mother loved to play cards, and it was not unusual to wake up to the smell of bacon, potatoes, and eggs. Mom would be fixing breakfast for their friends who had stayed up all night playing 500.

Although our parents and one brother are gone, we all remain very close. I have been blessed.
twinsister is offline   Reply With Quote

xcaped

Family
Old 04-12-2015, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I have one brother who was 18 months younger. I truly had an idyllic childhood. Its the summers that I most remember. We freely roamed the neighborhood and community on our bikes. We were basically tossed outside after breakfast and left to entertain ourselves. Coming home for lunch was optional but we had to be at the dinner table when the six o:clock whistle blew or else. During the day girls played with girls and boys played with boys. At night everyone played together at some kind of organized game like hide and seek, baseball, kick the can, etc. We all had to be home when the streetlights came on.

My mom often took a carload of kids to the beach, pool, park, playground, and city. I do not remember any other mom doing this. I remember many Sunday beach days with my family. We always stopped for clam cakes on the way and stayed to eat a picnic supper at the local beach park.
xcaped is offline   Reply With Quote