Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

How much longer? (COVID related)

>

reflect

How much longer? (COVID related)
Old 01-09-2021, 08:46 AM

I am so ready to go back to some form of “before.” I know things will probably never go back to life pre-Covid. But I am so ready for the day to not have to wear masks going out to stores or doing outside activities.

Please do not make this political. Wearing masks and social distancing is what we have to do right now. I get it. I accept it. I do not want to be sick. I do not want to get others sick.

I am just curious. How much longer do you think we will be in this for? Is there a light at the end of the tunnel any time soon??

reflect is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 01-09-2021, 08:54 AM

I think it will be towards the end of the year. As more people are vaccinated, hopefully we will see the cases go down. It won't go away, but will probably be more like the flu in spread. Fauci has said 3rd to 4th quarter of the year for this.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 01-09-2021, 09:11 AM

No masks? No for a while. Maybe end of 2021, but I anticipate masks to still be around in early 2022. Why? Even if you get the vaccine you should still wear a mask to protect others, ad you can still carry the virus and give it to someone.

I'm actually worried it will go on longer when I hear about so many refusing the shot.
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Old 01-09-2021, 09:12 AM

I don’t think there is an end to this. I think we’re looking at masks and some form of isolation indefinitely.
Englishish is offline   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 01-09-2021, 09:16 AM

3 weeks to flatten the curve..... bad joke, I know.

Another year or two for COVID and then there will be a new one. I think these types of mandates will continue until people decide they would rather live with risk than bide their time.

amiga13

Old 01-09-2021, 09:20 AM

I also still value Dr. Fauci’s advice. Last week my doctor predicted I’ll get the vaccine in Spring. I am starting to wonder if we’ll ever again be maskless and huggable.

Like you, I am supremely frustrated. Reading PT daily shows me the different levels of precautions being taken. Just this week there was a thread about the best places to vacation in Florida. Posters fly in planes, dine in restaurants, teach f2f, get haircuts, and ride in cars with neighbors; none of these are options in my life and I am astounded/jealous at the levels of freedom some enjoy. I am NOT judging or blaming, we all do what we can to get by. But I do miss fun.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Back to Normal
Old 01-09-2021, 09:20 AM

Dr. Fauci was asked this question last week. He said that things should be largely back to normal by the end of the summer.
travelingfar is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 01-09-2021, 09:31 AM

Although it will take awhile to get back to normal, I think we will. Think about the flu pandemic of 1918. Even without a vaccine, life did go back to normal. Think about the polio epidemic. After the vaccine, life did go back to normal. Many diseases have been controlled or eliminated by the use of vaccines. More concerning is that there may be other pandemics with other viruses. I think the new vaccine mRNA science will be able to make vaccines quicker if we do. Hopefully we will have a better response in place in the future to keep it from getting so bad.

chalkdusty

Old 01-09-2021, 09:31 AM

I hope Dr. Fauci is right, but I tend to have a more pessimistic outlook on life. I have doubts that enough people will get vaccinated to achieve herd immunity.

I think masks and social distancing will be with us well into 2022.
chalkdusty is online now   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 01-09-2021, 10:26 AM

i'm a pretty good optimist (really, it's just that i like to ignore and gloss over reality)

i'm just hoping and praying that next school year will be "normal".

tia is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 01-09-2021, 10:29 AM

I think as teachers get vaccinated, school can be more normal. Maybe they will have the vaccine approved for children by then, too. But I would think as teachers get vaccinated, most of the schools will be able to go back to face to face teaching.

Izzy23

Old 01-09-2021, 10:51 AM

My stepdad is getting vaccinated next week. My mom should get hers soon, too. Then I think life will be closer to normal for them. They have been hiding in their apartment, afraid to venture out, because of the virus. Once they are vaccinated, they can move around without that fear. I am looking forward to seeing my mom whenever I want, knowing that I can no longer pass on a deadly disease to her, because she is immunized against it. Normal life is coming.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

normal
Old 01-09-2021, 11:03 AM

I would say "back to the NEW normal." I am a science geek and have been following all things COVID, virology and epidemiology, and what I am hearing is not all that optimistic. While we will eventually all (although I doubt that) get vaccinated for COVID-19, there are new strains out in the wild that are just as virulent or even more virulent as the virus evolves/mutates. Some of these strains, like the one they first found in the UK, can be combatted with the current vaccines, but others, like the South African variant(s), will possibly require different vaccines.

I would hope that the present vaccine will allow schools and restaurants to open up by the end of summer, but I believe masks and distancing are here to stay for the foreseeable future.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-09-2021, 11:10 AM

I have a hard time seeing an "end." I just had the horrible realization a few weeks ago that school won't be going back to normal, even next year, because children aren't being vaccinated. Unless there is news I'm not up on, children under 12 aren't even in any vaccine trials right now. I know my district has already said they expect masks to still be required next fall. I'm not sure if we will still be doing the quarantining thing or not then; we've been in person for much of this year and the quarantining piece is what's highly disruptive.

The vaccine roll out is also horribly disorganized and there aren't enough doses. At this pace who knows how long it will be before everyone who even wants it gets it. And do we even know how long the vaccine lasts? Do we need new shots next year? In 6 months? What if it's shorter than they think?

Not to mention all of the anti-vaxxers. Even those who maybe lean that way won't get this because it's "too new." That combined with the fact that children aren't getting it makes "herd immunity" seem pretty impossible. If employers started requiring it, and they did things like requiring proof of vaccination to get into certain places (concerts, shows, etc.), I could see that pushing it along, but I don't see that happening in America.

On a personal level, I plan to pursue a somewhat "more normal" life once I get my 2 vaccine doses (which seems like a pipe dream at this point). Yes, there is still risk, but at some point you have to decide what kind of risk is acceptable to you. Of course I will still follow mask mandates in stores and such, but 95% is good enough for me to get out more and see people. And of course I will still be wearing my mask for 8 hours a day at school- ugh.

I also wonder about all of the people who are taking the most extreme precautions and still think even lessening after having the vaccine is "too risky." I don't see these people just being able to "flip a switch" at some point and go back to "normal." I assume that even though things will get better, this virus is now with us forever, just like the flu. There will still be cases and deaths every year, just like the flu. I see a lot of the most cautious people saying, "But cases are still going up!" indefinitely.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 01-09-2021, 11:10 AM

I do think we will get to the other side of things and most of society will get back to "normal." I'm really not sure what the timeline might be, though.

I'm in one of those districts that has been 100% remote since March. I will not be surprised if we are hybrid next fall.

My son asked me today if I think he might be able to go to a baseball game this summer. I really don't think that will be an option. I did tell him "I hope so but I just can't picture it."

Christmas 2019 I gifted him a trip to Cleveland and tickets for an Indians game. He hasn't gotten to cash it in yet.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

reflect

Old 01-09-2021, 11:14 AM

I love reading everyone’s thoughts and opinions on this. I know things vary across the country. I am just ready to be able to enjoy doing outside activities without a mask.

I assume we will be in masks for the rest of the school year. I have actually been teaching face to face since the first day of school. (I know that is crazy to some to even think about. And yes, the virus is still very prevalent in my area with over a 30% positivity rate)

I know this too shall pass. I just hope sooner rather than later.

I hope all of my PT friends are doing well and staying healthy!
reflect is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-09-2021, 11:18 AM

Dh believes spring/summer. I believe the same. In 2022, though, which is a year later than he's thinking He feels the vaccines will fix this quickly, but I am much more skeptical. We are only in the first part of the first group of vaccine giving, and I think many average people won't be getting them until summer or later. And then we have this new variant and I'm not clear if the vaccine works for that as well.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

rana712

I am thinking
Old 01-09-2021, 11:37 AM

for another 2 years. I see the dimmest of lights at the end of the tunnel. I just cannot envision sitting in a restaurant or getting on a plane and going somewhere for pleasure. I may be very pleasantly surprised. I fervently hope so, but know that I will be masking in public indefinitely.
rana712 is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 01-09-2021, 12:14 PM

I’m an optimist. I think if people made it through the 1918 flu and polio, we can get to the other side of this. We’ve had so many advances in medicine since then. Once I am able to receive my vaccine, which probably won’t be until summer, I am planning to get back to normal as much as possible.
hand is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 01-09-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I also wonder about all of the people who are taking the most extreme precautions and still think even lessening after having the vaccine is "too risky." I don't see these people just being able to "flip a switch" at some point and go back to "normal."
I agree. Those who have been in seclusion will find it hard to come out and have fun.

Quote:
ride in cars with neighbors
Amiga, please don't be jealous. It was not a pleasure trip.

There is always going to be a risk, but I like to think we have weighed pros & cons for all choices. We needed a door. It won't fit in our car. Delivery was 2 weeks out. It's cold. In hindsight, we should have rented a truck. Never thought of it.
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 01-09-2021, 12:38 PM

I do think that Covid will be around from now on. But I think with vaccines, we will have fewer cases so hospitals won't be overwhelmed. We will have new treatments, as well. So it will be more like the flu. People die from the flu every year. Many people don't get flu vaccinations. But the majority of people will not get it or won't get a severe case of it. Hopefully, if you do get really sick, the hospitals are equipped to deal with it better.

love_to_learn

Old 01-09-2021, 01:57 PM

I think normal is hard to say, but I feel like I will optimistically be normalish by end of summer 2021 or less optimistically beginning of 2022. But I do wonder about kids and vaccines. Right now I have no plans to send my kids in person unless they are vaccinated, but that could change.

I like masks and hope that even once Covid is under control, people will still wear them if they are sick.

I am happy with strangers staying 6 ft away always, haha!!
love_to_learn is online now   Reply With Quote
happygirl444

happygirl444

Old 01-09-2021, 02:08 PM

I think this could go on for a long, long time. I am worried that if the President Elect rolls out the vaccine as he is proposing--releasing large reserve quantities all at once--then people are not going to have available vaccine for their second dose or will not get their second dose in a timely manner. It just leaves it open for more viral mutations. The vaccine was tested and given under very specific circumstances. We don't know how effective it will be if it is not administered properly. This is my concern. My hope is that we will be back to normal by next Christmas.

WestCoastTch

Covid
Old 01-09-2021, 02:24 PM

Two things:

- I expect it will be six months to a year of schools being in session successfully before a sense of normalcy is within reach. At the rate we’re going in my area, I predict that’s over a year away.

- I saw the Florida thread and I assumed the poster meant she would travel in the future when it is safe. Planning trips is a hobby of mine, and even though it may be 5 years or more away I’ve been working on a travel itinerary to Ireland. I think it is important to have something to look forward to.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 01-09-2021, 03:08 PM

I think things might be getting more back to normal by September at the earliest. I think the vaccine is a light at the end of the tunnel. It's pretty dim right now and the tunnel is really long but the light is there.

What I hope is that people will continue to stay home when they're sick.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 01-09-2021, 04:36 PM

I can live with masks, social distancing, and avoiding large crowds for the most part. What I do dearly hope is that school goes back to normal in the fall. I can't do another year of teaching 5 year olds in desks and with masks. I am so happy to be back in the classroom but it still breaks my heart every day to see all of the things my babies are missing out on, not to mention all of the crucial social skills that we are not able to work on right now.

I do hope that with the vaccine becoming more available society is able to open back up and people can try to recover their businesses. Obviously shutting down dining and gyms and everything has not helped stop the spread, so I hope that what is and isn't allowed is more thought through and scientific rather than the piecemeal we've seen during this whole thing.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote