Help

BusyBoard

Tone

>

riko

Tone
Old 12-21-2020, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

For those of you teaching for awhile, has your tone changed over the years? When I started teaching, we were told to be assertive, let the kids know who was in charge or we would have discipline issues. I developed a good teacher voice and all was fine for awhile. Now, itís all about using a friendly voice in class because parents donít like to hear any tone whatsoever. So Iíve been adapting but my teacher voice tends to sneak in unknowingly when I am disciplining. I try to sound friendly but firm during those times but one parent still criticized me. Have you changed your teacher voice to friendly voice? If so, how did you eradicate the teacher voice?

riko is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

teacher voice
Old 12-21-2020, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My "teacher voice" is really all in the eyes, so people would probably say I do use a sweet/friendly voice. The kids know the difference, though, between the chatty version of said voice and the you-are-on-my-last-nerve-shape-up-now version.

I think parents live in fear nowadays of their children's lives not being perfect. (I know I was guilty of it at times too.) It's like we're so careful to provide all the right things that we forget overcoming some of the wrong ones helps kids grow as well.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

MightyTeach

Old 12-21-2020, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Same tone and same ďstink eyeĒ
MightyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Quieter
Old 12-21-2020, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm known as a "loud teacher", but I actually feel I've quieted down in the last 10 years. I still have a firm and assertive tone, although it's become a better, more effective tone over the years.

I'd say when I'm teaching lessons, I have a less of a "formal" tone now that I have experience and am more comfortable.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Old 12-21-2020, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My tone stays pretty consistent no matter whatís going on. Itís something I found worked for me way back in the beginning and Iíve never changed it. My face does way more talking than my mouth does.

Englishish is offline   Reply With Quote

School Time

Old 12-21-2020, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We are all more gentle than we used to be. There are so many things you can't say any more. We have to make everything positive and happy. But sometimes things aren't positive.

At times, I get annoyed and my voice may show it. I tell kids that even though they love their families, they may get annoyed. Their families love them but sometimes get annoyed. I may not be happy about something but I will always care about them. And if I am unhappy, I will get over it. I think kids do need to learn to deal with things that aren't always positive,
School Time is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-21-2020, 09:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've never been a "yeller." It's just not in my wheelhouse, honestly. But I do use a firm voice. When my current P started a few years ago, she actually did PD on teaching "assertively" and for awhile we had walkthroughs looking for specific things. Some of what I remember is a consistent, even tone and giving direct commands ("sit here" instead of "please sit here" (passive) or "look where everyone else is sitting, where should you be (aggressive).

I haven't changed my tone much for online teaching. In a meeting the other day one of the other teachers mentioned she feels like she can't "call kids out" because their parents are right there. Not me- I do basically the same as in the classroom. I'm fortunate to know though that if a parent were to complain about me, my P would back me up. I've actually got a ton of compliments from parents this year. I think this has opened many of their eyes to how much teachers actually do for their children.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote
AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 12-23-2020, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My tone hasn't really changed. I've always been a straight shooter. As opposed to mean or making out of line comments.

I've always suspected a lot of things we "can't" say now, really were things you never should have said, were emotional responses. Don't get me wrong, I've had students I could not stand. I never got satisfaction out of embarrassing or punishing students. It was never that serious. I got more joy out of the day being over or a day when they were out or the last school day. I think the teachers who made it a "calling" often have these "tones". I know this sound morbid, and I am not a mom, but it always reminds me of when mothers go off the rails and kill their children.

elsa4409

Old 01-05-2021, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm really late on this thread, but something stood out to me.

I hate that saying "Please" is considered passive. I think it models polite behavior. I think if you give it as an imperative, you make it clear that it's not a choice. So many kids speak so rudely to each other and to the teacher. I think we should be modeling how things can be different.
elsa4409 is offline   Reply With Quote