Wanting to move to another school

>

Look4more145

Look4more145

Wanting to move to another school
Old 03-27-2012, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello PT friends,
The time has come again to think about next year. I've been teaching in a private school for 3 years that is about 45 min to 1 hr commute from me. The drive is getting to me, and to be honest the pay is as well.
I am looking into finding a closer school, hopefully one that pays more and I am not sure if I should give my principal the heads up. I've asked 2 close staff members so far, and both have said different things. One stated that the principal would be supportive about it, specially since we are currently in good terms. The other stated not to tell her, especially since they could stop paying me once the school year ends (which has happened to two people in the past, not sure if it was under her though).

What would you do? I know this question comes up often, but I just can't help but ask. I don't want to get stuck with my first full-time job and settle, but I don't want to be unemployed either...

shiloh1220

My words of "wisdom" :)
Old 03-27-2012, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I told my principal in December that I would be seeking out a new job. But my circumstances might be different than yours. It was kind of assumed I'd be looking for work elsewhere given some life changing circumstances. It was also important to me to be upfront with my administrators just out of respect. But I'll say the fact that I have very respectable admins helped me make that decision. I will tell you that as soon as word gets out that you are looking, it is very likely that " the vultures will swarm" for your position. I can't tell you how many 'friends' have approached my team and my principal about taking my place if I leave. Somewhat hurtful when I've been here for 4 yrs and feel now that I'm just a spot to be filled... I hope the best for you and rest assured, what is meant to be, will be.
shiloh1220 is offline   Reply With Quote

renielen

Old 03-27-2012, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
The other stated not to tell her, especially since they could stop paying me once the school year ends (which has happened to two people in the past, not sure if it was under her though).
I agree with this person. Do not tell her! In fact, I would go back to the 2 staff members and tell them that you changed your mind and that you want to stay, etc (continue looking, you don't need everyone to know
that you want to leave...). This may end up hurting you in the long run-unemployment! Be careful who you trust!
renielen is offline   Reply With Quote