Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

HELP! art room classroom management

>

artgal87

HELP! art room classroom management
Old 08-16-2009, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been teaching elementary art for 13 years & was just transferred to a middle school (due to budget cuts-ugh!). I would appreciate any help in the area of rules that you post in the classroom and discipline/classroom management plans. Any information is appreciated!

artgal87 is offline   Reply With Quote

sassymollasi

Lol
Old 08-18-2009, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had to laugh cuz I think if you taught art for 13 years you are probably better than anyone here with management plans. I have a self contained classroom, no art teacher and hate/love it cuz the management is so difficult. You will be fine, if you can get them to clean up and take care of art materials!
sassymollasi is offline   Reply With Quote

artgal87

Old 08-18-2009, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

thanks for the reply. just wondering if anyone had anything specific that worked. my plans are much too "babyish" for ms. sorry you don't have an art teacher. everyone should!

sassymollasi

Old 08-18-2009, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I know! How cool would it be to have an art teacher? I love doing art, think it is sooo important, but man it is HARD! Respect!

What subject are you going to teach?
Anyway, the fewer rules the better - By MS they know right vs. wrong. Something like "be respectful and responible" covers it.

Sense of humor is so important, but so is consistancy - they are going through a TUFF period in life and need familiar.
sassymollasi is offline   Reply With Quote

jeniowa

Old 08-19-2009, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have taught ms art for 16 yrs and I would suggest that you start with a syllabus that states your classroom expectations and how you can be contacted (parents). My rules are simple but cover everything- Be respectful, clean up after your self, no throwing anything, and be prepared for class. I go in depth on each of these the first day (but not too long or you loose them) and for the first two weeks really enforce the rules. Decide how much talking you will allow (my feelings are that MS students are going to talk and I'm not going to fight it but I will regulate it) and let them know what it acceptable. You may also want to include a signal that lets them know when things are too loud, it could be the lights flicker, you count down from three or you raise your hand. If I have an troublesome class I will limit their movement around the room. For example, I will hand out supplies or have buckets on the table (watch the supplies, MSers are great at making nuisance items out of nothing) or I have a table leader that gets the paper/supplies. I also number my tables (you can use colors) and I will call off what tables that are cleaning up first and I dismiss by what table is the quietest or most prepared to go (competition).
As far as consequences I give warnings, then I will talk with them privately (do not "embarrass" them in front of their friends), if this does not work I will usually mandate an informal detention (they come in early in the morning and work) and if this does not work I will call home/email and inform the parents of what is going on.
Hope this helps some. I enjoy middle schoolers and I bet you will too.

jeniowa is offline   Reply With Quote

artgal87

Old 08-21-2009, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

thanks! i'm teaching art- 7th & 8th graders. i kept the rules simple (found some online from other ms art teachers). had kids yesterday & today. went pretty well...

artgal87

Old 08-21-2009, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

thanks for the reply. i did the syllabus & behavior "contract." thank you so much for the tips- they really helped!!! it's a pretty rough school (VERY urban). i'm doing the best i can & am definitely trying to model a positive attitude. parent involvement extremely low. thanks again so much- it's great to hear /brainstorm about what other teachers do!

GrammarGoddes

Old 09-07-2009, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I taught 7th- and 8th-grade Art for a few years, and I always started with a seatwork project like line drawing or gradation scales. A classroom radio was a great tool; if they worked quietly, we kept it on and they could listen, but if they got noisy, it went off. Great incentive to keep listening for their favorite songs on the local pop station! I also sat down and worked right alongside them in the beginning, and they were usually awed into silence when this happened. One of my favorite starter lessons was setting up still life centerpieces, giving the kids paper, and then handing them paper bags and having them put the paper INSIDE the bag and draw "blind" while they looked at the still life. This emphasized the need to connect their eyes to their hands, to be free and open with movement, to not rely on the eraser, and they were always excited to finish and uncover the final product.
GrammarGoddes is offline   Reply With Quote