Help

Visual & Performing Arts

What Artists?

>

missd

What Artists?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach third and would really like to improve my art instruction. (We teach our own in a small Catholic school). I would like to focus on certain artists and their styles, having the students try to replicate the style and learn a little bit about each artist. My question is, what artists should I focus on and where would be the best place to start for information I can use to teach myself first? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

missd is offline   Reply With Quote

woodsie79

VanGogh
Old 02-28-2007, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I did a mini-unit on VanGogh last year for his birthday. We discussed his life, how he painted, looked at different examples of his work and then painted our own "Starry Night" pictures.
woodsie79 is offline   Reply With Quote

jeniowa

teaching more art
Old 03-02-2007, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There are so many good artists and periods to name that you will have to decide on who to study. Some ideas though-
*What are you studying in social studies? can you do some cross-curriculum studies?
*Select artists that you are comfortable with. I think it is great that you are tying to incorporate more art, there is not right or wrong artist as long as you are comfortable with the lesson and the kids have fun! *There was a art philosophy started over 10 years ago called Discipline Based Art Education that may help if you want to type it in on a search engine and see what you get. Its goal is to teach: history, studio, appreciation, and production.
* The big ones to use are Leonardo diVinci, Monet, Mary Cassat, George Seurat, Michelagelo, Edgar degas, Albrecht Durer, Vincent van Gogh, Henry Matisse, Edvard Munch, Georgia Okeffe, Pablo Picasso, and the list goes on and on.
Here are a couple of websites you may like. The first one is a great resource for a short summary on famous artists and styles/periods. I hope this helps.

http://www.ibiblio.org/wm

http://www.kinderart.com

http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/

http://www.geocities.com/theartkids/artlessons.html
jeniowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Marilyn B.

Marilyn B.

This site has it all!
Old 03-02-2007, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Go to Sanford's art site, which is called A Lifetime of Color. The section entitled "Study Art" has art elements, principles, schools of art, and famous artists. Be sure to look around at the other sections, as the site is very helpful. Go to http://www.sanford-artedventures.com/study/study.html. Good luck!

missd

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2007, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the great ideas! I feel a bit overwhelmed trying to narrow down where I should start. I appreciate your help in guiding me to the sites. I'm off to browse...!

missd is offline   Reply With Quote
Mrs D

Mrs D

Artists
Old 06-06-2007, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I use Van Gogh, Monet, Seurat, O'Keeffe, and Cezanne in my classes.

MustTeach!

Good Ol' Georgia...
Old 06-06-2007, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

... just don't suggest students study interpretations of O'Keefe's art. You may get some riled up parents on your tail. ;P
MustTeach! is offline   Reply With Quote

josephineg

Drawing With the Right Side of the Brain
Old 06-06-2007, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If you want to teach art (and not imitation/replication of others or art history which are more in line with your post), check out Drawing With The Right Side of the Brain. I am visually highly skilled, but got no support at all for it in 9 years of Catholic school. I'm sad to learn that art is still not being taught there. Maybe you can be first to do so.
josephineg is offline   Reply With Quote

josephineg

Interesting computer art video...
Old 06-12-2007, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Excellent!!
>>
>>500 years of women's portraits in 3 minutes:
>>
http://www.devilducky.com/media/62379/
>>
josephineg is offline   Reply With Quote

SraRey

good resource
Old 06-17-2007, 09:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My favorite book that got me going on famous artists was Teaching Art with Books Kids Love. Starts with elements of art (line, shape, texture, etc.) and moves to principles of art and artistic styles. Each part is based on an example in children's literature, with one main idea and a couple of backups.
With support from this book, I teach about art elements and principles using either a famous "classical" artist or a children's book illustrator. (We go back and forth.) The kids make artwork based on that artist's ideas/method/technique. I try to use a wide variety of media. Some artists I've covered are O'Keeffe (one of my favorites), Van Gogh, Monet, Piet Mondrian, Joan Miro, Andy Warhol (coloring digital photo collages of the kids), Ansel Adams (again, used the digital camera and wandered around campus taking pictures of bits of nature), Seurat, Picasso, Jackson Pollock (messy!), Kandinsky, Frida Kahlo, and probably a few others I'm forgetting. Not all of them every year, and not many women, I'm ashamed to say... I'll have to work on that this year!
Another helpful thing to do is buy calendars focusing on the artist... They go on sale after the new year and you can get great deals! I've talked one bookstore into donating them for free. Pull them apart, laminate, and you've got lots of examples, plus they often have great bios of the artist.
Throw in some music while you're working on the art (Beethoven, Cole Porter, Carlos Santana, whatever...), and you've got it covered!
Good luck!

SraRey is offline   Reply With Quote

linny22

Teach Pop Art!
Old 08-22-2007, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I particularly like modern art, Pop Art to be specific. I think that is a good era for children to learn about. It teachs how everyday items can be art. The kids can even draw their favorite common household items. Jasper Johns, Andy Warhol, Robert Litchenstein (sp?), and David Hockney are some of the greats from that era. Good luck!
linny22 is offline   Reply With Quote