too many bb in my room...need ideas...please! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

First Grade

too many bb in my room...need ideas...please!

>

keen44

too many bb in my room...need ideas...please!
Old 08-21-2010, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I have 7 bulletin boards in my classroom (I think it's a lot)! I love cutesy - fun, creative, colorful looking boards (some may say its too much stimulation - but I like it)

Here are the boards I have currently:
-Star of the week
-Words of the week (high freq words) & spelling words displayed on a sm. board
-Daily 5 Choice Board
-Calendar
-Birthday bag bulletin board
- ??
- ??

I don't know what else to do...
One of the boards I have covered with star printed fabric, so I thought I could do something about All Star Work or something along those lines....ideas?

Please, I am running out of any creative juices...what do you all do?!
TIA

keen44 is offline   Reply With Quote

lve2teachyou

Computers
Old 08-21-2010, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you have computers in your classroom? If so, is one of the BB near them? I have a list of websites on one of my BB for students to refer to. You could also do a Science and/or Social Studies BB.
lve2teachyou is offline   Reply With Quote

ryrose

Old 08-21-2010, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I hang some of my pocket charts for classroom jobs and centers on the bulletin boards that are harder to access. I also have a bulletin board with little clothespins and a cute diecut for the children's names where I hang their work. I think I'm titling it "Our Hands Can..." and then I'm using hands for the diecuts and using the clothespins to hold their work. I also have a word wall and a math meeting board (includes a calendar) for Saxon (our district's math program). I have another small bulletin board this year and I may hang our schedule there or pictures of the kids/classroom events, or our bookmarks for the classroom library, or our birthday chart/ tooth chart...haven't decided (too small to do much with it).
ryrose is offline   Reply With Quote

PaulaK

just wondering
Old 08-21-2010, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

do you have windows in your room? If not, you could decorate a BB like a window - the pane, the outside view ex: clouds trees grass birds. attach a little curtian to make it 3-d , it would be very cute and you could change the "view" to match the seasons!
PaulaK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tchur8

Old 08-21-2010, 09:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

How about...
- Early Finishers (I do one that has file folders stapled to it with work sheets they can choose from when finished early with other work) It's usually filled with fun things that they are excited to get to and is related to what we are doing that day/week.

- Student's Awesome Artwork

-Student's Awsome Work/Brag Board (neat, correctly done worksheets)

Tchur8 is offline   Reply With Quote

momtow

Word Wall
Old 08-22-2010, 04:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have a word wall for reading words and another one for math words. I do Daily Five so I have a wall with their reading strategies. I am adding a board with the tier II words from the read aloud stories I read to them to increase their vocab and for them to use in their writing. I wish I had more room to display more of their written and artistic work.
momtow is offline   Reply With Quote

vateach10

word wall
Old 08-22-2010, 04:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have 5 small boards that are close together. I use them as my word wall. Several teachers stretch their bb paper across the parts where they are not connected to make it look like one big board (hope that makes sense)>
vateach10 is offline   Reply With Quote

peanut44

bb
Old 08-22-2010, 04:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

How about waiting until the students arrive and have them make some resources to use (make a set of number word cards with corresponding pictures, same for color word cards). This would give them ownership and they may be more likely to use it. For now, you could start by putting colorful, fadeless bb paper up and cute boarder. That would brighten the room.
peanut44 is offline   Reply With Quote

fionafiona

birthday graph
Old 08-22-2010, 04:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have a birthday graph with the months down the left side and little cupcakes with kids name and birthdate on it. I refer to it often-and kids LOVE seeing their name up there
fionafiona is offline   Reply With Quote

tangerine

Old 08-22-2010, 05:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

You could hang a pocket chart up over one board and use it as a poetry center or whatever else you might like a pocket chart up for. I did that last year, and it was very handy.

I always use one bulletin board for myself, too. I use one near my work space to keep important information I need like my dismissal list, the school's 1/2 day schedule, phone numbers/extensions for the other classrooms, etc.

You could keep one for student work.

tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote

AliTch

Old 08-22-2010, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have a writer's bulletin board to display their work and sparkle words for them to reference to.
AliTch is offline   Reply With Quote

MissButterfly

Old 08-22-2010, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have 7 BBs in my new room, and I wish I had more - they're already full!

I have:
  • Self portraits & photos of the kids (work we did when I had them for the day when they were Kinders)
  • "I am good at" - photos of the kids acting out what they are good, with speech bubbles coming from the pictures
  • 'My Family' pictures they did when I had them as Kinders
  • Parents notices - info about topics we are studying, phonics, extra copies of newsletters, class birthday list etc
  • Star of the week board - two kids from each class are chosen for hard work/good behaviour and rewarded with a school assembly
  • Music area board - a VERY small board, hidden by the bookcase! It has music words on it, and photos of the kids listening to books on CD and music
  • Behaviour/class management stuff - it has our reward scheme, our behaviour system and lists of what groups the kids are in for writing, math and spellings. I also have reminders of who the monitors are that week
  • Role-play board - in my role play area I have a board that has words related to what's in the area (at the moment it's an art studio), photos of the kids working there and any work they produce

After October, parents won't be bringing the kids into the classroom in a morning, so the parent board will become my word tree, where we have the sight words and tricky words we've learnt

Hope those help!
MissButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote

teachjb

Old 08-22-2010, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

One of our state standards is to learn about animals and different characteristics of them. So I have an Animal Spotlight board. I hang pictures of the animal for the week and each day we discuss a fact about the animal and put it up on the board.
teachjb is offline   Reply With Quote

ginaru88

bulletin boards
Old 08-22-2010, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Here are my boards
Helpers
Rules
Word wall
Calendar, attendance chart
Writing workshop posters
ginaru88 is offline   Reply With Quote

tasmith

I have 6.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I have a bulletin board for my behavior charts and stoplight, one for word wall, one for workstation board and library checkout, 2 for reading posters/reading strategy info, and one for math vocabulary.
tasmith is offline   Reply With Quote