Help

First Grade

Word Wall

>

kris1582

Word Wall
Old 01-23-2011, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm having a huge problem getting my firsties to use the word wall when they write. The majority of my students recognize the sight words when they read and they seem to use the ones committed to memory when they write. BUT, they WILL NOT look over to the word wall and COPY the word from the wall!!! Argh!! As we conference throughout writing, if I see a word wall not spelled correctly, I immediately stop the conference and tell them that they have a word wall word not spelled right. They return to their desk and make necessary corrections. Any suggestions on how to get them to become more independent in the use of the word wall???

kris1582 is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

It's a struggle
Old 01-23-2011, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

They are new to this whole world of writing, spelling. etc. The more they write the better they get. I gave up on posting words on the wall so they have a word wall book. It's a blank dictionary I got each of them from starfall. com where they write their word wall words in. Any words they ask me to spell I write it in their book for them. If I find it alread there then they have it. We also use the strategy of if they can't spell a word just write how they think is should be spelled and draw a line under it so we can go back and check when we do the editing process.

Think about it... when you have to spell something and you have another person around don't you ask before you use the dictionary?
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

PaulaK

word walls
Old 01-23-2011, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have the same problem, but I haven't implemented the habit of students being part of the word wall (into the word, let student put it on the wall, play the games etc.) There just isn't enough time in the day for the way I have seen it portrayed in the books I've read. Mostly, we have our writing time and students have to use two or three words from the wall, their neighbor is responsible to checking (peer checking) to see if the words are spelled correctly. Any free writing tho - is still totally misspelled.... maybe a maturity thing?
PaulaK is offline   Reply With Quote

CptVegy

The Wash
Old 01-23-2011, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Each year I talk to my students about how when author's write they always make a first draft, which is usually very messy and full of mistakes because we focus on ideas, not spelling etc. Beginning in January, I teach them how to "wash" the copies. We go through and find all the word wall words and underline them in blue. We find the beginning of all sentences and put them in green (for go) and all punctuation in red (for stop). It doesn't make their writing perfect, and we dont' do it to all pieces, but it does call attention to those skills.
CptVegy is offline   Reply With Quote

NicTy

Try some word wall games
Old 01-23-2011, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We play several word wall games to encourage the use of the word wall. This year, the favorite game is Guess the Word. I give clues like color, number of letters, number of syllables, meaning, opposites, etc.. and the students guess the word. They use half sheets of paper to record the answers. Great practice reading and writing the correct word.

When we have inside break or while waiting for the bus, the students play the game without me. I have four girls on the last bus who play school everyday. They even try to "trick" me. Very cool!

If they use the wall for fun games, they will be more likely to use it during writing.

NicTy is offline   Reply With Quote

chewiefairy

Old 01-24-2011, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Kris, Could you make your word wall manipulative? I know my kiddos enjoy being able to take words off of our word wall (words are hung up with stikki clips) and replacing them when they are done. This sometimes gives them an incentive to go use them by getting just a smidge of a movement break. Or prehaps you could supply a list in their writing folders or whatever your use that is appealing for them to refer to....?
chewiefairy is offline   Reply With Quote