Help

ESL/LEP

What to do with the rest of the class.

>

teachcalkids

What to do with the rest of the class.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I hope someone has some better ideas for this problem than I have. About half my class of 30 first graders needs to be working in Avenues. I am racking my brains about what to do with the other half. Some are struggling readers and not very independent. The only thing I can think of doing is a continuation of the small group work they do in the morning. I only have enough Avenues materials for the students identified as ELL.

teachcalkids is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Maybe
Old 11-28-2011, 10:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

you can check out the Avenues Teacher's Edition. I know that it can be used as the literacy program so the TE has suggestions for centers, writing assignments, art support, work sheets, etc.

You might create a take home book for the students to work on by typing or photocopying main events in the story text and the illustrations. The students can cut and paste the illustrations to match the typed condensation or photocopied text and create a book to take home and practice. They might also draw their own illustrations based on the illustrations in the reader--that takes longer. It's a pain to create, but once it is in your files, you just pull it out each year and run off.

You might ask the students to find words in their readers or little books with a target vowel, consonant, rime, etc. They can rainbow write spelling or word wall words (write the word several times going over the same letters with different colored crayons or markers).
You can teach them a poem and have them illustrate it in their personal readers and read it with a partner--they "read" what they have memorized and eventually recognize the words.

Perhaps you might look at the Daily 5 room--peony, I believe--and see if some of their suggestions for activities will give you ideas. It takes awhile to teach the procedures but is well worth the time.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

elltch

independent work
Old 12-16-2011, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Is this independent work while you are with reading groups? I agree about Daily 5. You can get some good ideas for activities. National Geographic Young Explorer has an online magazine that the students can listen to. You could also order a class set and read it as a whole group first. They can buddy read with each other. For struggling readers, teach them that they can read a book by reading the pictures (CAFE). Just a couple of thoughts...
elltch is offline   Reply With Quote