Help

Kindergarten

Looking for new reading games...

>

reeses14

Looking for new reading games...
Old 02-17-2012, 04:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

for groups of 4-5 students. Ways to review sight words, letters, writing, etc...

Bored with what we always do!!!

We play Reading Towers (stack cups as we read words), "Oops" - if you draw it you lose your cards, etc....

Help! Thanks!

reeses14 is offline   Reply With Quote

DaisyBear

I created this
Old 02-17-2012, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I hope it's useful for you, but I understand if it's not worth anything. I am new to K.

http://www.teacherweb.com/TX/Copperf...ord-Racers.pdf

http://www.teacherweb.com/TX/Copperf..._and_am_we.pdf

Erica
DaisyBear is offline   Reply With Quote

ThankaTchr

DaisyBear those are great....I made word fam
Old 02-17-2012, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

magnets a few years back and brought them out this quarter and my bus riders started palying with them while waiting to be excused (their spot is next to a file cabinet) so I gave them the whole drawer which had word fams we haven't gotten to yet and they went crazy reading and matching. The card on top is -id or -un or -at etc. Then they find all the cards that rhyme in that family and make a column. We ran out of file cabinet space

-We also do Roll it Read it Write it from another poster here- from last year-just do a search.

-You can also do Post it Sight Words- Whatever book they are reading, when they find a SW they write it down on a large post it and when it's full of words it goes on the wall (or our blinds)

-My team mate has them 'txt' it to him. He made cell fons from clip art then laminated them-so when the kids find words they write with crayon on them! Then later he can celebrate the good readers. Then someone's job is to 'delete' all the words with a kleenex
ThankaTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

happykids

Old 02-18-2012, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Check out the Florida Reading center site.

It will have more than you need!
happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

URMySunshine

Sight Word ideas
Old 02-18-2012, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

• Roll and record graph where students toss a cube with words on it and graph the word it lands on.
  • I use the same cube to toss and students use cookie sheets and magnetic letters to make the word (I made my own reusable cube by covering a cube box with paper then using clear shipping tape to make 'pockets'.)
  • Word Lotto game where students pull letter tiles to make the words.
  • Cut and paste letters to make the words
  • Chain links where students cut the strips and make a chain putting them in ABC order.
  • Using letter stamps that I got from Lakeshore, students stamp their words into Playdough.
  • Rainbow Write words
  • Play Sparkle: students take turns saying one letter in a given word. When a word is spelled completely, the next child says 'sparkle' and the following child has to sit down. Last one standing is the winner.
  • I have a similar game to Oops but it is called Crash and the cards are on car cards.
Could you explain Reading Towers a little more? Sounds fun!

URMySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

suzyteach

I'm going to do this next week
Old 02-18-2012, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

the kids will work in partners - I'll have three levels according to the reading skills of the students involved.

I printed out letters/sounds (including the digraphs we've learned), and words in big font, and glued them to 4.5" x 6" (half sheets of 9" x 12" construction paper) sheets of paper and laminated them.

I'll put all 26 letters, plus digraphs on the floor in a path, and the kids who need to review these will walk through the path (not on the papers, but beside them). One partner will say the letter name, the other will say the sound it makes. 3 sets of partners can go at one time, beginning at different parts of the path. When they get back to where they started, they change jobs.

The middle group will do a similar activity, but with CVC words and sight words. One will read the word, the other will spell it out.

The higher group will read harder words with long vowel sounds, with either silent 'e's or two vowels together ('oa', 'ee', etc.).

I'm hoping the kids will enjoy. I have about 30 words/sounds per level, and I hope it will take 15 minutes to complete.
suzyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Mugs

Old 02-19-2012, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm old to kindergarten - Thanks DaisyBear! I love the ideas! You got anything more that you're willing to share?? :-)
Mugs is offline   Reply With Quote

usechalk

Old 02-19-2012, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Try Samson's Classroom. They have great games and lessons. My kids know tons of sight words, and the spelling program is great too!
usechalk is offline   Reply With Quote

DaisyBear

Mugs
Old 02-19-2012, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

You can check my site! I have lots poster there and I am going to add a few more this week!

http://www.teacherweb.com/TX/Copperf...der/apt13.aspx
DaisyBear is offline   Reply With Quote