Help

Kindergarten

Daily 5

>

mushell829

Daily 5
Old 07-11-2012, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I would love to try Daily 5 this year but I am not sure how to set this up with kinders. If anyone uses it could you please share your ideas. I would like to get started planning as soon as I can. Thank you!

mushell829 is offline   Reply With Quote

jacque/Wa/K-1

Old 07-11-2012, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have parent help to man each of three D5 areas, then my assistant does another and I do another. I can hit the ground running with parents there, but in your circumstances, you will go very slowly, introducing whichever one makes the most sense to you an your kiddos. I still intro Read to Self first and the first thing is that I have them decorate their book bags---my chairs are made so that these hang easily off a handle in the back of the chairs. Some people use boxes...

Follow how the book intros each section, you will do lots of modeling and you will give them just snippets of time at first to "practice" and you will bring them right back at the hint of someone not doing what they should be doing. You will talk a great deal about building stamina and you can use a graph---yahoo has a D5 group too and lots of people have added graphic organizers to the files. The yahoo group is free and lots of good info.

Once you get going you will find you are working smarter, not harder. I do a four day rotation and only one round per day, others do three, some do all five. I do all five but just one time per day --we don't rotate to another section until the next day. Not sure that makes sense.

I also don't let my students choose in kindergarten---I tried it and it wasted too much time no matter how I revised it. In the end I figure my students get to make many, many choices during the day so I could live with me choosing their group/rotation. I do not ability group and I do change the groups often.

More later, off to a meeting....
jacque/Wa/K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

DaisyBear

My blog
Old 07-11-2012, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

has a lot of daily 5 goodies and how to start it information.

http://sprinklestokindergarten.blogspot.com/
DaisyBear is offline   Reply With Quote

mushell829

Old 07-11-2012, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you what a wealth of info. I really aprreciate the posts to help me.
mushell829 is offline   Reply With Quote