Help

The VENT

Reassignment

>

lolamae

Reassignment
Old 07-17-2012, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm beginning my first year of teaching in the fall. I was excited for the school year to start until I was reassigned to a different grade level and subject. For those of you that this has happened to, how do you get passed the "resentment" feeling? Any advice or words of encouragement will be appreciated.

lolamae is offline   Reply With Quote

essence253

First year
Old 07-17-2012, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I first began my career, I interviewed for a 3rd grade position. When I came to tour the building and get my key, I was informed that I would be teaching 5th grade . Left the building to study the 5th grade curriculum over the simmer. On the first day of in-service, the P informed me that I would be teaching 6th grade.
How do you get over the resentment? Go in your classroom and teach your fanny off. Show your admin that you can teach any grade assigned. Don't let this rattle you.
essence253 is offline   Reply With Quote

EarthMonkey

Old 07-17-2012, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I got my grade level and school changed two weeks before starting teaching my first year. I think it is very common. If the principal has to put someone who is brand new to a grade in a specific grade and one of the people they have to pick from is basically brand new to any grade that person will have grades switched before those who have taught well in another grade for years.

I would just start checking out the stuff for the grade you will now be teaching. I also would ask the principal what room I will have and when I can go in to see what is there and start organizing. If you are feeling resentful do not show it to the other staff and principal.

I have found that I like pretty much any grade I am teaching. After several years I have figured out the grades I thought I would like best when starting are not the ones I do like best. This may introduce you to a grade you really like; but do not know it yet.
EarthMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 07-17-2012, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This kind of thing happens all that time, so don't feel like you got some kind of unusual deal. Be aware that your level/subject could get changed again before the school year starts. You may show up and be told it's something different, again.

As teachers, flexibility is key. You will constantly have things shift under you, even once the school year starts. Things happen, like: you'll get new students with no notice, curriculum change in the middle of the year, an assembly planned doesn't happen at the last minute and you've got to fill in an extra hour of teaching that you hadn't planned for, etc. It's just nonstop.

Just go with the flow and keep smiling. Fake being happy about the changes, and you might find yourself surprised and liking the new assignment more than you thought.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

hawaii86

you are needed
Old 07-18-2012, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have been moved to a different grade 4 times now. I could choose to be upset or I could look at it from another viewpoint. I have come to realize that when I have been moved to a new grade, it is because a student in that grade needed me. The year of my first move, I had a student have a seizure in class. I had been trained and knew how to keep him safe. The next move I had a student who was cutting herself. She felt safe enough with me to tell me and we got her help. So, instead of being upset, know that one of those students in your new assignment needs YOU and that is why you are going there.
He or she is lucky to have you.

hawaii86 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsMTexas

Been there, done that
Old 07-18-2012, 07:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My first four years of teaching I was moved four times. 3rd grade, 4th grade, 2nd grade then back to 3rd. This past move was actually the worst for me. I can relate with the resentment. I had some serious issues getting motivated this year and trying not to be angry. The way I have dealt with all my moves is to be a little angry/disappointed at first. It's ok and normal to feel that way. But don't let it get you down. Talk to people on your team and ask for help. It's hard for something to change last minute, but unfortunately in this career it happens alot!
MrsMTexas is offline   Reply With Quote

rhubarb

Welcome to PT
Old 07-18-2012, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You will like all of the fine people here and will find advice and support. This is your first teaching job- congratulations! In this economy, feel very lucky! All the previous posters are correct- you put on your smile, look happy and do a good job. Your new grade partner(s) is/are your new besties.

My first year (after many years of subbing) was half time grade five that turned to half time grade one and then a month in was half time grade one/half time grade six! I thought I would prefer grade one but ending up liking six better!

In time you will garner your tenure (if your state/province has it) and you grow in seniority. That is when you are more likely to end up where you want. I LOVE grade three best but was bumped to fourth a few years ago as someone has seniority over me. I did it and I waited for third to come up and got it.

You will be fine. Smile! It won't be easy (the first couple years) but changing things up keeps life interesting.
rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote

76lake

Welcome to PT!
Old 07-18-2012, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I had originally interviewed for a 2nd grade position at my school and ended up in 4th. I was certainly more than a little nervous and overwhelmed at the prospect, but ended up loving it. At the time, I thought I could only handle little ones and never would have applied for a 4th grade spot. Looking back, it was one of those things that happened for the better.

PT is also a great way to get ideas and support. Check out the specific grade levels and Busyboard.
76lake is offline   Reply With Quote

LMS forever

All the time
Old 07-18-2012, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I had a teacher in my school hired to teach 1st grade. She was a first year teacher went out and bought classroom decorations, etc, and decorated her room. The day before classes started, they changed her to 4th grade. Not many of her decorations worked with the older students.
Try this one.
I knew a teacher who taught 4th grade. It was her second year. Her first class was tough to say the least. Well the third week of September, she was changed to 6th grade. She had many of the same students from her first year who were so difficult. She spent all day that Saturday moving all her classroom decorations, etc. to the new 6th grade room. She also spent a lot of the day crying. Monday morning she was ready to welcome her 6th grade class. All went well. Fourth grade parents began complaining. On Tuesday, the teacher was MOVED BACK to 4th grade. The district hired a new teacher for the 6th grade room. The teacher was not upset about the second move. There seems to be no guarantee of where you will be from one day to the next.
My contract says "Teacher" no job assignment. I will be a LMS this year and hopefully until I retire in about 12 years.
LMS forever is offline   Reply With Quote

survivor6th

Old 07-18-2012, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

two years ago I was moved from 6th grade reading/la to 6th grade math. I had been teaching reading/la for about 15 years. I was in shock at first, but realized I enjoyed teaching math. I love teaching reading and am now happy to be back, but it was a great experience and taught me that it doesnt matter what the subject is, I just enjoy being with and teaching kids.

survivor6th is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

Smile and nod.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Congrats on your new position.

This is par for the course, but I understand it is upsetting. I am a chronic planner. When this happened to me, I got very anxious but I made it work. The PP were right... go in and rock the house. There are some grade levels I would only agree to teach if it were that or being jobless, but if forced, I would be professional and own the assignment I was in.

Best of luck.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

lolamae

Many thanks!
Old 07-18-2012, 11:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Thank you for all the replies. I feel better about the reassignment today and like some of you said, at least it wasn't 2 weeks before school started. I've got plenty of time to look at the new subject and be ready to go.
lolamae is offline   Reply With Quote

3drummers

Old 07-18-2012, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

A few years back a new teacher was hired and began the year teaching first. A couple weeks went by and she was loving it. Unfortunately, the student numbers weren't there and she was going to be let go. Luckily, she also had a credential that qualified her to teach middle school English. She still had a job, but had to move schools, grade level and curriculum AFTER she started the year. She eventually was able to go back to elementary a few years later but it was a rough start.
This type of thing happens all the time.
My first full time year after job sharing, I was going to be teaching first. I prepped over a month of off track time (year round school at the time). Came back to find out I would be teaching fifth and had 4 weeks to re-prepare.
3drummers is offline   Reply With Quote

nicksgirl

Been there
Old 07-18-2012, 09:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I get reassigned pretty much every year because of all the certifications that I hold. I'm told one grade at the end of the year, a different one when we c ome back, and by the September spapshot I'm liable to be anywhere. Unfortunately it just comes with the territory of teaching.
nicksgirl is offline   Reply With Quote