Help

Kindergarten

Classroom Pet for Kinder

>

BusyBee30

Classroom Pet for Kinder
Old 07-25-2012, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Have you had a classroom pet while teaching Kinder? If so, what pet did you have? I'm really excited about my first year teaching kindergarten and would love to have a classroom pet for my kids... still trying to decide which kind of pet would be best.

BusyBee30 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachinTX

Guinea Pigs and Fish
Old 07-25-2012, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have 2 guinea pigs, which the kid love, and a Beta fish.
teachinTX is offline   Reply With Quote

lanadan

I have had all at the same time ....
Old 07-25-2012, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

a rabbit (lots of work), a rat (bit a teacher who stood too close to the cage) and a guinea pig (also lots of work).
The kids really enjoyed them and my supervisors loved how much hands on science this brought into the classroom.
I don't have any now but I am looking for something that would be easier to care for.
lanadan is offline   Reply With Quote

KTeach_IN

Old 07-25-2012, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have a frog. I got it several years ago, from Brookstone I think. It is in a small plastic (tank?) with a lid. It has some kind of plant that helps keep the water clean. We feed it twice a week, super easy. The kids really enjoy it. We got it as a frog, not a tadpole. I tried tadpoles one year, but had a hard time with them.
KTeach_IN is offline   Reply With Quote

phoenixsmom

Class pet
Old 07-25-2012, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had a beta and 2 hermit crabs. They weren't hard to care for.

phoenixsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

jacque/Wa/K-1

Old 07-25-2012, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We are not allowed any pets, not even the gel ant farms which were super easy and no chance of ants escaping....

We were told too many students are allergic, too messy, hassles with finding appropriate care for holidays/vacations, etc..............so, I haven't any pets. But we do have animals 2X2 so we get to bring in fish for that and snails, and worms....oh and pill bugs. At least it's something....I miss the blue gel antfarms though the ants used the gel as food and water and their tunnels were SO elaborate and interesting. I still did it one year beyond the ban but my librarian 'reminded' me that they were outlawed and I feared he would report me.....oh wellllll
jacque/Wa/K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

dee3

Class Pet
Old 07-25-2012, 07:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would say go for something that never bites like fish. You never know if some animals will bite, and you may be held liable if it ever happens. So, I would go with a fish.
dee3 is offline   Reply With Quote

kiki056

Old 07-25-2012, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The teacher before me had a turtle, which she left behind, but she didn't clean the tank very well and it was disgusting and full of algae. I decided that being a new teacher, I didn't need the extra work so I gave it away to a teacher at another school who was thrilled to have it.

Then, I decided to get a beta. I'd had them before, and found them easy to take care of, but I didn't want to invest in a fancy tank with a heater so I just got a plastic one. The problem is that it gets really cold here in the winter and the school cooled down too much at night. Needless to say, the fish only lasted a week. Luckily I was the one who discovered it floating lol. After that, I decided that I had no problem being petless!
kiki056 is offline   Reply With Quote

DaisyBear

I have
Old 07-25-2012, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

a hedgehog (Penelope) and a guinea pig (Moe). They are both lots of fun to have!
DaisyBear is offline   Reply With Quote

mushell829

Old 07-26-2012, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have had a betaand hermit crabs in Kinder. I have also had a bearded dragon (if you are not opposed to feeding crickets) and a hamster in 4th. grade. I just find the beta the easiest and the kids love it.

mushell829 is offline   Reply With Quote

GoldiTeaches

Pet
Old 07-30-2012, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have had fish in the past, both betas and regular fish tanks. I just got tired of scooping out dead fish and buying new ones all the time. A beta really is a great pet but fish do die...often. Our first beta was named Optimus Prime and the second was Bumblebee.

I have two Russian Tortoises, which I love. Land tortoises are very easy to care for (I have had water turtles as personal pets and those cages get nasty and stinky FAST!). We don't really take the tortoises out a lot but when we do everyone has to wash their hands or use hand sanitizer. Mostly the kids just love to watch them eat and bask under the heat lamp (they get in very funny positions!). They don't eat any bugs either.

Before you get anything check with your P to see what's allowed. Also think ahead about the weather in your area, if the air/heat is left on in the evening or over weekends, and what you will do with them on the weekends and over longer holiday breaks.
GoldiTeaches is offline   Reply With Quote

Silas

Old 07-30-2012, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have gerbils and they are super easy to take care of. I don't take them out or let the children handle them. They live in a glass aquarium. They are for the children to observe and they can write about them. They do better in pairs, but if you do that - just make sure they are the same sex or you will be having babies!!
Silas is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Old 07-31-2012, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

In my class we have a pet Beta Fish named Phineas. I've had him for 2 1/2 years. We were super lucky to hatch chicken eggs into baby chicks the last 2 years. We tend to the eggs for 1 week and the baby chicks for 1 week before the Farmer picks them up. It is my favorite part of our school year!
WordFountain is online now   Reply With Quote