Help

Kindergarten

Classroom library

>

emlevrio

Classroom library
Old 08-03-2012, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am about to get my classroom library set up. In K should I organize my books in bins according to genre? What works best? Any ideas?

emlevrio is offline   Reply With Quote

essence253

My books
Old 08-03-2012, 08:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

are organized in bins that are labeled more so by content that genre. I do have fiction and non fiction labels, but others are ABC, Animals, Insects, Numbers, Shapes, Colors.
essence253 is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Classroom Library
Old 08-03-2012, 09:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I copied this from a post I made earler this summer. I hope it helps. Once you organize your library, start out by introducing only one bin at a time to the students. It is also helpful if your labels have a picture to go along with the label. I found most of my images on Google Images.

I reorganized my library two years ago. I have both-leveled books and themed books. I don't think I would just have my library books organized by levels. Children often want to read books that are more difficult and it is okay for them to pick one that is too hard. They can read the pictures. You just don't want them always picking books that are too hard. When I reorganized, I took the books off the shelves and sorted them into baskets on the shelves. It is easier for the students to look through books in a basket. They are able to see the covers of the books because the books are facing them. When I had my books on the shelves before, the spines were facing out so it wasn't easy to see the covers. Having them sorted by themes also makes it easier for them to find books they are interested in.

Each basket has a label. I have a basket for each level: aa (wordless picture books, books with picture and one word), A, B, C, D. I have baskets for the different series like Hello Readers, Sight Word Readers...

I have the rest of my books sorted-fiction/nonfiction. My nonfiction books are sorted-biographies, community and community helpers, social studies-family/friends/feelings, animals-mammals/insects/birds, animals-fish/amphibians/reptiles, plants, science-seasons,space, and dinosaurs. They are kept on shelves in one part of the classroom.

Most of my fiction books are sorted by authors, like Eric Carle, or by character, like Biscuit. I have more than one author or character in a basket. I have baskets for poetry books, fairytales, class favorites, teacher read-alouds, alphabet books, counting books, books about school. I have a basket called Themed Books where I put books related to the current theme we are working on. I have a basket of books about bears and another one with books about dogs. One basket is empty for students to put books that need to be repaired. (It has a little book hospital sign on it.) I have three huge boxes in my closet with books for special holidays and themes, multicultural books, Caldecott winners... that I put in the themed basket throughout the year.

I also have several magazine holders-variety of single copies of different children's magazines like Big Backyard, Sesame Street...

Side Note: Check out Pete the Cat books and watch the videos with the author reading the books on youtube. They were class favorites this year. Be careful-you won't be able to get the song out of your head. Tee Hee!

I work very hard trying to teach the students how to handle and take care of books. I tried numerous systems over the years, but I still have a few misplaced books and lost books at the end of the year. When I first started, I used library pockets/cards. That got too expensive. Then I would write down titles with students' names. (Too time-consuming) When the books were just stored on shelves with spines facing out, the students used paint sticks that had their names on them. They put the stick in the spot when they removed the book so they would know where to return the book. Now my students get a clothespin with their name on it to clip to the basket when they take out the book. I do not let them take home the books at the beginning of the year. I admit that every now and then, I go through the library to put everything back where it belongs because it drives me a little crazy to not be able to find a book. Books I don't want to lose are kept in my teacher's favorites basket.

The baskets are different colors-red, blue, yellow and green. I am thinking about putting colored stickers on the back of the books that matched the basket. I would love to make labels that matched the labels on the baskets, but I have way too many books. I heard about a site-booksource.com where you can scan the bar code on the back of the books to inventory your books. There is a way for students to check out the books. I need to research that more. That might be worthwhile.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

ggg123

Old 08-03-2012, 11:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have never organized my Library. This year I have one rack of books and I plan to change them out every week (leaving a couple of old favorites) with Library Books so they have some "fresh" books. My hats off to those who do the organization systems, though.
ggg123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Eli O.

I use bins
Old 08-04-2012, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

and organize them by themes also-ABC, poetry/music, seasons, animals, math, miscellaneous, word books, and then I usually have a bin of books from my library to go with what we're studying in science /soc, or the current reading theme.

Eli O. is offline   Reply With Quote

DaisyBear

Here is my blog post about my library
Old 08-08-2012, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

http://sprinklestokindergarten.blogs...room%20Library
DaisyBear is offline   Reply With Quote