Help

The VENT

teacher's pay

>

ahawk11

teacher's pay
Old 03-04-2013, 05:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My husband informed me that because we have no kids my income puts us int a different tax bracket. Because of this we have to pay more in taxes therefore technically I only earn about $12,000 a year.

I know I shouldn't vent about being in a higher tax bracket because I know so many are struggling to make ends meet. It just upsets me that the extra taxes we pay is caused by me and not him (from his perspective). He would never ask me to quit but he isn't above making me feel like my job is "just a hobby".

My already low income made my job seem like a joke to him. He doesn't get it or understand how hard I work or how stressful my job is. He thinks I just do "Macaroni Drawings" all day and get to "Play" with kids.

So man-logic says I only get paid 12K a year and my job status is comparable to working at McDonalds. I get about that much respect anyway. Both from him and society. Maybe I will go work at McDonalds. It would be less stressful and I would get free food!

ahawk11 is offline   Reply With Quote

ahawk11

Old 03-04-2013, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote: "If your job was really that hard they would pay you more. Look how much I get paid. Thats exactly how hard my job is."

kahluablast

Old 03-04-2013, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My job does the same thing to us. I have extra taken out of my check, plus we pay a big amount at tax time (because I can't stand having even more taken out).

My dh knows I work hard, but sometimes his comments about how little I make bother me.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

georgieboy88

ahawk11, you have more
Old 03-04-2013, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

trouble than making what appears to be a very low income. I am sorry to say your husband is not being very supportive of you. That is a terrible shame. This job is hard enough to cope with even when you have the support of your spouse. Your story makes me want to cry.
georgieboy88 is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 03-04-2013, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That is unfair. Are you at a private school? I have worked in private schools and the teachers work just as hard as any others, but get paid 4 or 5 times less than those in public schools. At least at the parochial schools.

Your husband should go to work with you one day so he can see what you really do. I guarantee he will be singing a different tune by the end of the day.

jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

angelteacher

Remember, he is comfortable with sharing his
Old 03-04-2013, 08:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

thoughts and feelings with you. You need to be very specific in letting him know how they make you feel. My brother has always been the same with my SIL, but if someone else dares to make a comment about her job, he is the first to defend how hard she works. It is the age-old situation where "I can talk about my wife (child, mother, sister, etc,) but you better not say a word against them." When she recently heard him go off on a neighbor after a negative comment about teachers, she was pleased to hear that he really did notice how hard she worked and how unfair the compensation is for teachers. It was an eye opening experience. When she thanked him, and shared how she had felt all these years when he would make comments to her, he was flabbergasted. He really makes an effort now to be more supportive and less annoying.
I hope you will be pleasantly surprised with a similar experience. Talk to him!
angelteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

binkbonk

Old 03-05-2013, 03:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Start contributing to a 403b account - it lowers your taxable income and he cannot take it when you divorce him!
binkbonk is offline   Reply With Quote

ahawk11

Old 03-05-2013, 05:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Jazzer- I work at a public school, his income is high enough though that over half of my income goes out to pay taxes.

Angle teacher- You are so right. A part I me knows he's only joking and I should laugh it off. I should be thankful that we are open with each other. He knows how much I love my job. It's also important to me to be independent and he respects that. With his job I don't have to work, but I want to.

A 403b is a great idea!

Thanks all for your support and listening to my vent. I appriciate the support. Sometimes it's nice to confirm with others that DH can be a jerk at times. Thanks for the verification!

connieg

oh yes he can
Old 03-05-2013, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

A 403b or a Roth IRA is still a great idea, but I believe he is entitled to half of your savings for retirement. I know a dear friend whose cheating husband came after her as she was close to retirement wanting half of her benefits. Sorry to say, I think these are things you need to think about!
connieg is offline   Reply With Quote

Youthcantknow

that's unfair
Old 03-05-2013, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

This sentence is driving me crazy:
Jazzer- I work at a public school, his income is high enough though that over half of my income goes out to pay taxes.
So here's how I see it.....Suppose your DH makes $150,000 per year and you make $50,000. You pay $27,000 in taxes each year. Since he makes 3x as much as you, you could argue that he makes $150,000-$18,000 and you make $50,000-$9,000. Or that he makes $150,000-$27,000 and you make $50,000 (which is the opposite of what he's arguing to you). Either way, his thinking that taxes are somehow coming all out of your income is ridiculous. You both contribute income, the taxes are what they are, and he reaaally needs to respect your job!

Last edited by Youthcantknow; 03-05-2013 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: forgot to include a title
Youthcantknow is online now   Reply With Quote
IDKHOW

IDKHOW

I don't know...
Old 03-05-2013, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

how I would handle not being able to talk about my job with my spouse. He was a teacher for a while so thankfully he understands. Now that I think about it, most of the close relationships I have are with other teachers who "get it" and have their own stories to tell. Are you close with other teachers? I'm sure that they would at least be sympathetic.

Munchkins

I make twice what my DH makes
Old 03-05-2013, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My DH has a government job, and I've been in a public school for over 25 years. Everything is shared equally. I would never belittle his income because it is half of what I make. We're a team, so it doesn't matter where the money comes from. I'm just grateful we have enough to pay our bills, with some leftover for savings and for some fun.
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

georgieboy88

How about you guys file separately.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

That way you pay more or you keep the refund based on how much you make. He will not be pushed up into a higher bracket either.
georgieboy88 is offline   Reply With Quote

starley

Old 03-07-2013, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I would not be married to someone who had no respect for my life's work. Flat out.....

sorry, but your DH sound like a snob. People who feel this way are the reason teachers are disrespected and not seen as professionals.

I would never allow someone to disrespect me in such a way...oh, I am angry for you. Marriage should be a partnership...
starley is offline   Reply With Quote

FL_teach

Old 03-07-2013, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I couldn't be married to a man who didn't respect me and the job I did. And I'm sorry, but there is no way you only make $12,000 a year after taxes as a public school teacher. Either your husband doesn't understand how taxes work or he is just trying to belittle your job even more.
FL_teach is offline   Reply With Quote

3drummers

Old 03-08-2013, 09:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Well, my little "hobby" became our only source of income when my husband job cancelled their contract after 15 years. He was unemployed for 2 and half years trying to find work. We survived and he eventually found a job in a different line of work where he now makes much less than I do.
Luckily, my job has been stable and I've made step and column increases along the way.
Hopefully, that doesn't happen to you, but it's good to have two sources of income just in case.
3drummers is offline   Reply With Quote