Help

Second Grade

Math workstations: Debbie Diller

>

coiteach

Math workstations: Debbie Diller
Old 07-19-2013, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is there anyone doing math work stations? I would like to try implementing them this year. Any advice, support, sharing of station ideas, etc. would be appreciated!

coiteach is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-19-2013, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am planning on doing them this year, but I haven't worked it out exactly how yet. Do you use common core? I would love to talk through out the year.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

bradly2

Old 07-20-2013, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I want to do math work stations, as well. However, with 33 students (and the year hasn't even started yet) I am not sure exactly how it is going to look yet or if it is even going to be feasible. I found this blog that looks to be helpful http://www.3rdgradethoughts.com/p/math-rotations.html
bradly2 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-20-2013, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I want to do rotations every day, but know that some days after whole group there will only be one rotation. I am going to shoot for two rotations at least three times a week. That is a total of 8 stations they will do weekly. I saw my new classroom, and I am hoping the 6 computers on a table are still there when I return. If so, I will have a computer station for IXL and some games on topic.

One of the stations I am going to start with is making a 100 day book. Everyday students will do something with the number of the day, sort of review of concepts (I think idea came from the book).

I am also going to start with just about 5 stations that I am going to teach in math the first couple of days, things like race to 100, addition top it, etc. I love the idea of having a list of vocab for students to use posted in the room/station. I also like the ideas of variations of thing students can do at each station.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

MNTeacher24

I am working on
Old 07-20-2013, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

figuring this out as well. I did Math Workshop last year, but want to get more out of it and increase the rigor of their work.

One thing I did was attend my district's PD about using "just right numbers." I love this, because just like how we have kids read just right books, we can have them use just right numbers to differentiate their work. Genius! (BUT SO EASY!) I tried it out at summer school, and I loved it!

MNTeacher24 is offline   Reply With Quote

hopealope

number of the day book
Old 07-20-2013, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I plan on doing a book where each day they need to +10, -10, +100, -100 (we will discuss why that this will be below 0 so they begin to think of negative numbers), odd/even, base ten , tallies, coins, word form etc. Our numbers will be based off of the day of school. I plan on doing this & a word problem as either a center or as a 5 minute math warm up with the class to get them ready to go!
hopealope is offline   Reply With Quote

mmw

just right numbers
Old 07-21-2013, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Can you tell me more about this?
mmw is offline   Reply With Quote

sapphireblue

Just right numbers
Old 07-22-2013, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm curious about the "just right" numbers also.
sapphireblue is offline   Reply With Quote

MNTeacher24

Just Right Numbers
Old 07-22-2013, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Basically I do a mini lesson (and a lot of repeated practice)about choosing numbers that work for you. It is quite similar to how we talk about just right books. If you can solve it in your head, then it is TOO EASY! If you have no idea where to start, then it is TOO HARD! If you can explain your strategy, then it is JUST RIGHT!

A problem may look something like this:

Student A and Student B went to the store.

Student A bought _____ fruit snacks.

Student B bought ______ fruit snacks.

How many fruit snacks did they buy all together?

(4,4) (7, 3) (10, 12) (27, 20) (46, 54) (122, 168) (244, 432)

Students choose their just right numbers and plug them in. This is a great way to differentiate for students.

I also make sure to also include a variety of problems:

A + B = ?
A + ? = C
? + B = C

I have them "read the problems" aka they would say

"A plus B is the same as or equal to something"
"A plus something is the same as or equal to C"
"something plus B is the same or equal to C"

I also use my students' names in the problems and things that are happening in our classroom. So far the kids really love it!
MNTeacher24 is offline   Reply With Quote

coiteach

Common core
Old 07-22-2013, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am in Colorado. Common core standards are in our standards and then some. I would love to keep in contact the year. I am going to try to do 1 station per day. I haven't seen this year's schedule so I don't know for sure of this will work. We start out the year with number sense (counting, place value, forms-standard, extended, word). I will start out with a game that is similar to chutes an ladders for counting for sure. There will also be some activity having to do with ways to make 10 - maybe go fish for 10. Maybe even something as simple as picking a card with a number and writing the different forms of it. I also like guess my number.
I will be looking more closely at the specifics in the next couple of weeks as my start date gets closer.

coiteach is offline   Reply With Quote

wbteach2

Old 07-23-2013, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I am going to use the Math rotations also so would love to bounce ideas off... are you starting off right away with the groups? Our district does grouping with each unit.. pretest group assess regroup so I have the higher kids but want to use the rotations yet as there is a big range with that group. Have you decided if you are doing this everyday: I was kind of thinking three times a week with Friday being fact fluency day and me really assessing how well they are doing. Also am thinking of doing the going green with rocket math that I saw on youtube...
wbteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapnstitch

Math Workshop
Old 07-24-2013, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Here's how I did it in 2nd grade:

First of all the Debbie Diller book is fabulous for this. Get it!

I taught with Investigations but you could do this wit other programs too.
I taught new lessons whole group, with children on carpet working in either their math journals or on white boards depending on the lesson. I would then give them some independent practice, again in math journals or white boards while I walked around. As I checked their work and could see that they could do it, they would work on the independent math sheets from the workbooks. I would hand a packet out and they could either go back to their desks or stay on the rug if they wanted a bit of help. That left me with the ones who needed more instruction or support.
As they finished the children would go get their math baskets which contained games they had been taught to play from Investigations and other places, flash cards , Judy clocks, play money, dice and playing cards. each basket was assigned to 2 people ( math partners). If one child finished before the partner they would play a solitaire type game from the basket. I always had several of those. When their partner was finished, they could play any game in the basket. The baskets varied in the games they had in them and math partners were of similar ability.
I would introduce at least one new game a week and I kept changing the games in and out to avoid boredom.

Other days, if I knew some children needed extra work, I would call them for a lesson and have the others start with math baskets or work in math folders which had extra worksheets in them.

The children also kept unfinished math work in their folders that they would work on during math basket time if needed.

I found lots of great math games on the internet, from PT folks, on TPT and in catalogues.I also used Marcy Cook's Math Tiles in the baskets as well.
Tapnstitch is offline   Reply With Quote