Help

BusyBoard

Saxon Math 3rd Grade

>

zoerba

Saxon Math 3rd Grade
Old 07-25-2013, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We have been using Math Expressions for several years, but next year we are switching to Saxon math with the kits. I am a bit nervous and confused on how to set everything up. There are no workbooks, just worksheets. For anyone who has experience with Saxon - how are you supposed to organize the worksheets? What is the best way to organize materials and distribution/collection of materials? How does homework work? And - do you have any major tips or suggestions? I feel so unprepared for next year!

zoerba is offline   Reply With Quote

middlemac

You will love it!
Old 07-25-2013, 09:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I taught it for years and loved it! I taught 3rd grade, too. I moved to a school who had used it for 1 year...we were an at risk school. I did it exactly the way it was supposed to be done...at times I questioned ..why am I doing this...but....my kids learned and loved math. Organization...I put in files..... I did it in a couple of hours. I collected homework and facts in separate baskets when they first arrived in the morning. I had a basket for each subject. This included one for math facts and 1 for math homework. I gave each student a number. They put in upper right corner of paper and they turned it into basket in numerical order. (# 1 on top. It was ABC order too.) I had a check list with their names. I had a student helper use the check list and mark off each day. They checked each morning who hadn"t turned in their homework and checked to see if the papers were in order. I just checked them quickly and put in grade book. I used the checklists to keep track who needed to turn in homework. They only had 1 extra day to turn in late homework. Then it was a zero. If it is still the same....you teach ....then do guided practice...then grade with kids...I set my classroom up in a double u....I walked in between the desks...and then went around and made sure the kids had worked the problems correctly. That is important because that is what they use to look at when doing independent work. The format...the 1st 2 problems are what you taught that day. The others are review. They then take home the same paper and do home work on the back. The problems are the same on back but with different facts. They do the same for math facts. In class do one side...do the back for home work. They end up loving math and are successful. It is important to count the home work as a grade and make sure you follow up on that. They have to do the work each day. It will get easier for them. I counted home work as 25% of grade and tests 75%. I used Homeworkopoly....it was fun for them. Our state assessment scores...zoomed... If you read the scripts....you will soon see how it is organized. Depending on your state... we had to supplement with Problem Solver. Any math series you will have to supplement something. I also started doing multiplication facts earlier...because our state they needed to really know them by state assessment. They may have changed that now. Hope this helps and good luck!
middlemac is offline   Reply With Quote

mommaharding

Saxon
Old 07-26-2013, 12:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You'll love Saxon. There will be a learning curve for the students because of the spiraling. This will be our first year not using Saxon. We are SAD! It is well organized and so easy to plan and prep for a sub. Our super changed us to Bridges to go "deep" but we will definitely miss Saxon and the great spiraling.

Our Saxon came with a stack of wheeled file boxes with numbered file folders to correspond to the lesson numbers. If you got those, you just open the boxed worksheets which are in order from Lesson 100-140?. You just split them into the lessons and they are ready to go! (Or if you are cramped for time, just use them straight out of the box. Box 1 should have Lessons 1-40. They are in order. The flat boxes have the display posters and student Math Meeting sheets.

There is a set of bulletin board templates that are pre-laminated that you will need to cut apart. These are used for the daily "Math Meeting." You will need to devote a sizeable chunk of a bulletin board to use for this each day. I have a Promethean Board, so I made a Math Meeting Template and pre-typed in the daily info for the lessons. I'm assuming Saxon has updated for CCSS. If not, I could email you some files with my template for the Math Meeting for Promethean Board that I used with ActivInspire if you have one.

The Math Meeting part comes with a blank daily Math Meeting worksheet. I have used this sheet some years for the students to prework the specified areas on their own before we did the problems as a group. You will have a student of the day as Leader. There are "Student of the Day" stickers. I used to have this person be my line leader also. The math meeting is totally scripted and goes in the same order each day.

Each day there is a fact drill section. The fact worksheet drills are included. They are usually timed for 1 or 2 minutes. I would put an online digital time up projected. We would check these together in class. (Last year I did switch to multiplication much earlier in the year. In order to complete the common core multiplication goals, I would speed up introduction of the tables so that mastery will be more complete. When I did this, I dropped the addition facts much sooner than specified.

The New Concept is your skill instruction for the day. At the beginning of the Teacher's Guide, it will tell if you need to prep any materials for each day. Just follow the script for instruction.

Then I scanned each days side A paper into my board. We worked that side together. Side B is to be done for homework, but some days I had the students do it independently in class.

There are 5 lessons and then an assessment. (No assessment until Lesson 10.) For example, Lesson 11, 12, 13, 14, 15-1, 15-2. 15-2 would be your assessment lesson. Some weeks we had to use the problem solving lessons on an additional day because of time. They were good assessment word problem practice.

Good luck with Saxon! We loved it and it is easy to implement.
mommaharding is offline   Reply With Quote

g8torteacher

Saxon
Old 07-26-2013, 04:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with others--you will love it I thought having a scripted lesson would be awkward, but once I did it a few times I was comfortable with it. It is very organized and research based. I taught it in third grade for 3 years and wish I could go back to it. All of my students did so well in math and I credit Saxon for this. Our 4th grade teacher said that my students were well prepared for 4th grade math.
g8torteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mmw

Jealous!
Old 07-26-2013, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I taught Saxon for many years and now we have something else, and it so inferior. I miss Saxon so very much. The set up comes at the beginning of the year and it's done. I've used 5th graders and up to do the set up for me, but since it's your first time, you may want to do it yourself.

I'm so jealous! Sometimes, I actually get tears in my eyes I miss it so.

mmw is offline   Reply With Quote

zoerba

Old 07-31-2013, 10:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you, everyone! I am even more excited to dive into Saxon math! You have given me some fantastic ideas. I will be sure to pass them on to my team members too.
zoerba is offline   Reply With Quote