Help

BusyBoard

I don't do classroom jobs! Anyone else?

>

HiHoCherryO

I don't do classroom jobs! Anyone else?
Old 07-29-2013, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I hate classroom jobs.. They have never worked for me, they take up wall space and I just find them an overall pain. If I need a messenger or such i just draw a stick or pick a trustworthy kid. Then all of my 3rd graders tidy the room and books at the end of the day. I am the only teacher in grade 3 team that doesn't have jobs. I'm sure to be in the minority by far here too I am guessing.

HiHoCherryO is offline   Reply With Quote

kerteach2

1 job
Old 07-29-2013, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That's all I have and have ever had, even when I taught K. The Helper of the Day. That kiddo does it all. I # my students, and that's how we know who is up next.
They love it, it's easy, and it's their responsibility to know whose turn it is.
kerteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

prechrswife

Old 07-29-2013, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I didn't do them with my 3rd graders last year. I tried it for awhile, but it didn't work for that group, so we did without. This year I will, though, because this class needs LOTS of structure.
prechrswife is offline   Reply With Quote

QueenBee2011

yep!

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am with you on this one! It had become such a big deal. I did away with all the jobs. I have two people each week who are called Teacher's Assistants. They do any of the jobs there are to do. I use a random number picker that is computer generated. This way, I don't have to pick the children, the computer does and everybody gets a turn.
QueenBee2011 is offline   Reply With Quote

LilMissSEI

No Jobs

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't have classroom jobs either. Over time, certain kids take on certain roles in the classroom, but they are not posted or really referred to as jobs. For example, I pass the lunch tickets to the same student every day to turn in to the cafe manager. I'll send the same student to deliver "star slips" to the office. The same 2 or 3 will set up math tubs. It works for us.

LilMissSEI is offline   Reply With Quote

Citymouse

Old 07-29-2013, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Nope. No jobs! If I need help with something I will just ask if someone is willing to help. I thought about doing it this year, but then thought its just too much work.
Citymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Gr8Profession

2 jobs
Old 07-29-2013, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I post a list of all my students. Each day we move down the list to see who the leader/helper is. The next person on the list is the assistant. The following day the assistant becomes the leader. Any job that needs only 1 person is done by the leader. If you are absent on your leader or assistant day you're out of luck. You'll have to wait until your name comes up again.

This system has been so easy for me and my students seem to love it.
Gr8Profession is offline   Reply With Quote

lynned

No Jobs here
Old 07-29-2013, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I pick a trust worthy student if I need something picked up or pass out papers. I always have a student who is ready to help and eveyone has to help straighten out the room at the end of the day.
lynned is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-29-2013, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have each child's name on a laminated card and I split the cards in half. After doing that, I hole punch the cards and put them on a metal ring. Both sets of cards hang up in front of the classroom. Each day I have two helpers who do whatever is needed.

I also use these names each day to ask myself if either one of them needs something: a child study referral, a phone call home or a few extra minutes.

This system has worked well for years.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

TchMe

No jobs
Old 07-29-2013, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I don't have jobs either- too much to keep up with and sometimes caused too many problems. They became more work for me somehow. Plus I try to use the old trick "I'm looking for a good listener to help me..." (then they all sit up straight and listen) to my advantage.

TchMe is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

nope!
Old 07-29-2013, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have 2 helpers of the week, with their names hanging on the board on cards, and I rotate them each Monday. If one is out, the one who is left can pick a buddy to help them.

anna- I love this idea!
Quote:
I also use these names each day to ask myself if either one of them needs something: a child study referral, a phone call home or a few extra minutes.
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

ragtimecwgrl

Me neither!
Old 07-29-2013, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Special jobs tend to be a reward for being a responsible citizen in my class. I do have a rotating student of the week and they get to be line leader and general helper. I also have a few specialized needs, an audio/visual assistant that knows how to use the doc camera (usually the person who sits by it)and the timer "turner-off-er", also sits by it. There are no rewards for these jobs and it is very low-key. I view the "rotating job" program to be yet another thing for me to manage and for them to whine about if it isn't managed to their expectations! Long live free enterprise =)
ragtimecwgrl is offline   Reply With Quote

tangerine

No classroom job chart here
Old 07-29-2013, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have a student of the day who has earned the privilege. They do the jobs for the day and they get to pick a helper if the task requires two. They also get to sit in a special chair, lead the line, etc.
tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote

Sleddog

No jobs
Old 07-29-2013, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I haven't had classroom jobs in over 10 years. At the start of the year, I talk about us being a team and what we need to do to keep the room functioning.
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsCroak

Old 07-29-2013, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I don't use jobs. I usually go for volunteers. But, if I find someone is amazingly good at a job (like sweeping), I will call on them again to do that job.
MrsCroak is offline   Reply With Quote

goodwork

No Jobs
Old 07-29-2013, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I have a boy and a girl each day. The boy names rotate through one envelope and the girls rotate in another. Last year I had 7 boys and 13 girls, so the boys had a turn more frequently than the girls. Oh well, that's the way it goes. The boy and the girl take turns being the line leader (they figure it out), sit in special chairs during whole group time on the rug (that frees up two more spaces for wiggle room), and do all jobs needed for the day. first Grade
goodwork is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

jobs
Old 07-29-2013, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I agree with you! I tried them several ways before, and they just never seemed to work without being high-maintenance. Sheesh - there's already so much to do - I really don't want one more responsibility to keep up with.

Unfortunately, my P wants everyone to have jobs for their kids. I'm really hoping I can get away with just having 2 kids (1 boy, 1 girl) for the whole week. I'm going to attempt it and see if she goes for it.

Another option I may do is to let the student # be the helper for that day. That means some kids will fall on the weekend, but there's always the next month. I could also let those weekends numbers do it when it gets to a number that we don't have (like 31 - hopefully I don't have 31 kids this year!). Still deciding if that will be easier.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

♥theColts

Old 07-29-2013, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I am with you. I gave up on the job thing several years ago. I tried everything including that dumb job wheel - remember that? All of it was a hassle, honestly. So now I pick volunteers, early finishers, etc. but like a pp said sometimes a certain kid will fall into a habit that I appreciate and therefore encourage.
♥theColts is offline   Reply With Quote

bennyjake

Old 07-29-2013, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Don't work for me either! I teach kinder and I have 1 helper for the day. They get the special painted chair and are the line leader, turn off lights, run errands, etc. Works so much better for me.
bennyjake is offline   Reply With Quote

booklady57

Helper of the day
Old 07-29-2013, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

rotated through the class alphabetically. That person leads the line and does any odd jobs or errands I might have that day. I am horrible at managing to keep track of everything--the jobs chart thing was just too much. Also, I had to manufacture things to do, and make classroom time available for doing them. Haven't done the jobs thing in years, and I am in first grade.
booklady57 is offline   Reply With Quote

kcougar

I'm with you!
Old 07-29-2013, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

No jobs in my room either. I tell my students that we all pitch in as needed. Classroom jobs just end up being more work for me.
kcougar is offline   Reply With Quote

TwistingTeach

Jobs
Old 07-29-2013, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I love for all my students to have classroom jobs, but the jobs board took up too much space and rotating jobs was such a pain. I decided to have my third graders apply for classroom jobs and then I conduct interviews. Once I assign the jobs, they keep the same job for the year. If they want to switch jobs, they have to agree to switch with another child. I am totally hands off and it works really well. I'm going to do it again this year, but with all changes in our curriculum, I'm not going to do the interviews, just the application. It's a bummer though, because the kids are so cute in their interviews. I've had a few come to school in suits for their interviews. One even brought a briefcase with him!
TwistingTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

rillaGurl

Old 07-29-2013, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I don't have individual jobs anymore. Now I have 5 categories of jobs, plus "on vacation," and split my kids into 6 groups. They, as a team, complete whatever their task is. I rotate jobs each week. That has worked best for me.

Edited to add: all of my jobs are cleaning-oriented for the end of the day. Anything like passing out materials, running to the office, etc. during the course of the day is done by whomever is quiet and nearby.

Last edited by rillaGurl; 07-30-2013 at 12:15 AM..
rillaGurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Mom of seven

Wow!
Old 07-29-2013, 08:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Thank you all for the wonderful idea of no chore list! I get so frustrated trying to remember who does what. GR8Profession, I am going to try your idea of posting a list of the students and then going down that list each day for my helper. It will make things so much easier.
This is why I love ProTeacher!!
Mom of seven is offline   Reply With Quote

rubyanne

Old 07-29-2013, 08:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

First year teaching: Every kid gets a job rotate daily
Year 2: Every kid gets a job rotate weekly
Year 3-4: Pick one boy and one girl to be my daily helpers
Year 5: Started out with weekly jobs and switched to choosing by pulling sticks.

This year I am going to pull sticks as I need helpers. I just don't have time for anything else and I am tired of training kids each week to do do their job. My friend does classroom economy which works well for her but she teaches an older grade.

One teacher I know picks a stick as her "secret student". If that student lines up quietly that student gets to be line leader. If not she pulls a different stick and if that person is quiet they get the job. I might try this for the line leader job.
rubyanne is online now   Reply With Quote

sparky123

One helper daily
Old 07-29-2013, 08:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I go in ABC order and if that person is not present when the bell rings, I move on to the next person. Amazing how fast kids learn the order and how they are on time when it's their day. During the day we are all responsible for maintaining the classroom.
sparky123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tessa_Rue

Old 07-29-2013, 08:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I've only had the helper of the day, and they do everything. (Kinder)

I was thinking about doing jobs this year (2nd) but just changing at the marking period...I'll have to consider whether or not I want to bother with it.
Tessa_Rue is offline   Reply With Quote

EllaKate

Old 07-29-2013, 08:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I have two jobs...2 students are responsible for the lunch wagon for the week and the other person is my helper (run to office, another classroom for something, etc). The "helper" is my student of the week so that makes it easy. The lunch helpers I rotate.
EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

willika13

Jobs
Old 07-29-2013, 09:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I usually rotate managers (a girl and a boy)each week. This year because I'm teaching a lower grade, I'll select a boy and a girl manager daily. During the first month of school I'll have individual jobs so that they can learn the roles of "classroom manager" (but no charts).
willika13 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachandBowl

Old 07-29-2013, 09:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I long term subbed in a kindergarten and I couldn't stand the jobs. I always hated it because I always had to remind myself whose job it was to pass out papers or who was the light person, etc for the week. I was known to constantly be asking "who is the _____ this week??"

So no jobs in my classroom. It's great to see so many other people who feel the same, I feel like Im the only one sometimes.
TeachandBowl is offline   Reply With Quote

NJteachfirst

Jobs
Old 07-29-2013, 09:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I have two stuffed garden gloves with eyes and a smile. Those are the helping hands and they do everything for the day. Their last job is to move it to the next desks.
NJteachfirst is offline   Reply With Quote

blessedx3

No jobs!
Old 07-29-2013, 10:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

Since the kids all have a class number, Monday #1 will do anything I need done. Tuesday is #2's turn to do anything I need done, etc. Much simpler and easier and no need to take up precious bulletin board space and time dealing with who has what job!
blessedx3 is offline   Reply With Quote

LovSavTeach

Not my cup of tea either
Old 07-29-2013, 10:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

Classroom jobs always drove me crazy. Trying to keep track of whose job it was, changing them regularly, the crazy chart, and absences (even with a fill in helper job). I usually ask for volunteers, pick a stick, or choose a student who really needs the job right then. I'm with you about being in the minority though. Last year partway through the year the principal gave me one week to get a chore chart up and running with a job for every student each week. The other teachers did it so I should too. It was miserable the rest of the year because it wasn't my style. Whatever you choose make sure it is something that you can live with comfortably for the year.
LovSavTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 07-30-2013, 02:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

As a sub, I actually like rooms that don't have a job chart. I don't have to figure out the system for changing them, or disappoint kids who thought their turn was coming up by not changing them. I can reward someone who has followed instructions with line-leader status, or choose someone to pass out papers just because I sense he or she needs a chance to move around.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

jobs
Old 07-30-2013, 04:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

I pick 2 helpers each day and they do all the "jobs" for the day.
Much easier and less time consuming for me.
2nd Grade.
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

mmw

1 job and table captains
Old 07-30-2013, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

I have the student of the day, who does everything and 6 table captains per week, all on a rotating basis.

Late last year, I discovered accidentally that there were a few jobs that I invented that were great for a homeworkopoly reward. I have forgotten all but one for now and that one is to write page numbers when need be on the white board!
mmw is offline   Reply With Quote

lasflores

No jobs here
Old 07-30-2013, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

I tried it my first year more than ten years ago. Haven't had jobs since. I pick randomly or on responsible students.
lasflores is offline   Reply With Quote

alb26

Helpers
Old 07-30-2013, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

We walk in lime order... My first two in lime are helpers for the day. First is line leader and messenger for the day. Second is door holder. Both help with odd jobs during the day. The following day whoever was second is now first. If your absent we just keep the line rotating around. It also helps that no one is ever stuck in the back of the line all year. Works better! I used to have kids "apply" for the jobs that they wanted. It was fun, but a lot to manage!
alb26 is offline   Reply With Quote

angelajw

jobs
Old 07-30-2013, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

I have a helper of the week to do all the jobs and be the line leader. Be first in line is a very big deal in first grade. The second person in line holds the door.
angelajw is offline   Reply With Quote

JuLee

No job chart either!
Old 07-30-2013, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

I have never used a job chart. Too much work for me.

I take a picture of each student and put them in random order in a picture rolodex (it is old and I don't think they make them anymore). Whichever student's picture is showing is the Helper of the Day. That students does it all. If they need help with a task, then the Helper of the Day from the day before helps. I work with the kids all year on leadership skills so that eventually the Helper lines up the kids, takes us through the halls, leads the fact practice correction (we use Saxon math), and becomes the go-to person in the classroom.

The kids really work hard at being able to redirect their classmates in a "friendly reminder" way. Also, it is interesting to see which kids struggle with being the "leader". Some have a tendency to be heavy-handed. Some students struggle with redirecting friends who won't listen. This gives us a great opportunity as a class to work on these skills and talk about being respectful and a good leader.

At the end of the day, we pick a cheer from our cheer bucket. We thank our Helper and then reveal the next day's Helper. It is always a surprise, even for me, because I take care to not look when I put the pics in. When I come to the end of the pics I take them all out, mix them up and put them back in.

When I have a guest teacher, the Helper knows that I rely on them to step up to the plate. I am always surprised at the kids who mess around in class and make me think "oh dear" but when they are Helper they show a grace and leadership that I didn't realize they had. I am impressed.

Helper of the Day always gives me insight into my students.
JuLee is offline   Reply With Quote

beagles2

Old 07-30-2013, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

Everyone in my class has a job and I've always done it that way. I love it, the kids love it, and it works for me. I have perfected it so that it's quick and easy, doesn't take up a lot of space, and we switch jobs every week. I teach 3rd, so that helps, because we work a lot on responsibility. It might not work as well in lower grades.

But I think teachers should have freedom to do whatever works for them without pressure from others.

So if you're happy with the way things run in your class, just keep doing what you're doing!

Last edited by beagles2; 07-30-2013 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: added text
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

zupiter

Love jobs
Old 07-30-2013, 06:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

I have enough jobs for each student in the classroom. I teach upper elementary.
I feel that they need to take part in helping with the chores. Teaches responsibility. Otherwise, it is always the volunteers doing all of the work and I don't think that is fair. It also helps me with daily tasks.
Like others posted...do what works for you.
zupiter is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 07-30-2013, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

I tried having jobs, but I couldn't keep up with it.
I now draw a stick each morning and that person does whatever needs to be done.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

jobs
Old 07-30-2013, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

I teach 3rd and I don't do jobs. I did them my first year teaching and it became to much of a hassle to remember to rotate them and remember who had which job each week.

We have to be in ABC order when to go to specials and lunch so there can't be a specified line leader each week.

When I need errands run or help in the classroom my students know that I will chose the ones who have been on task and doing what they were supposed to all day. It actually helps with behavior some as well.
Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

2sankofa

Old 07-30-2013, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

I HATE having jobs. If I need something done, I just ask. I did this when I taught 3rd and after 12 years, I do it in 6th.
2sankofa is offline   Reply With Quote

lemonlove

It's ok
Old 07-30-2013, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

Everyone has to run their classroom the way it works for them. No apologizes. I use jobs in my room because it does work for me. That's me. That is one thing that I love about teaching. We each share our strengths to the benefit of our students & our schools.
lemonlove is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 07-30-2013, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

I don't do a job board either. I have a student of the day instead who gets to be my helper, and gets the big chair. It's a much easier method then keeping track of jobs. I also started with student number 27, then 26, then 25 and worked my way up the roster, backwards, instead of ABC order. I actually had a parent thank me this year for doing that. She told me, that she'd told her daughter that one day she'd have a teacher who started at the end of the alphabet. Happy that it made a mom and child happy, and didn't cost me a thing! Best wishes for a great school year!
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

kmgrade4

Student of the Week
Old 07-30-2013, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

My student of the week is the line leader, paper passer, messenger, and does any other job necessary. If I need 2 people for a job, that student picks the other helper. Seems to work for me in 4th.
kmgrade4 is offline   Reply With Quote

KrisKElem

No jobs for me
Old 07-30-2013, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

I have team captains who do a lot for me, I choose a student of the week to be the messenger and line leader.
KrisKElem is offline   Reply With Quote