Help

BusyBoard

Told I wasn't mean enough

>

MizBeetle

Told I wasn't mean enough
Old 09-11-2013, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I seem to have what appears from other posters the growing trend of kids who can not stop talking, can't stay focused, and can not follow directions. I had the class from ---- last year and I just can not think about another year like that.
So today someone I trust told me I wasn't mean enough - I need to get my mean face and voice on. Well surprise to me! I feel like all I do all day long is frown, use my grouchy voice, and everything else in my tool bag. Some of my kids probably wonder if they will ever come up for air. In fact, my face hurts at the end of the day from all the use of those poor muscles.
Guess I need to rethink my meanness factor and make my kids cry.

Not really needing advice.... more of a thinking out loud. Sigh.

MizBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote

LilMissSEI

Growing Trend
Old 09-11-2013, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm starting to think it doesn't matter if I'm nice, mean, or anything in between. My kids are so far from engaged it's scary. They come from a self contained K room, and they already have an established rapport and expectations for what school is all about. My beliefs and management differ greatly from the K teacher's. When they aren't playing with their shoelaces, they are laying on the rug. When they aren't starting conversations with one another while I'm mid-sentence less than 1 foot away, they are playing with one another's bodies. They don't know when I'm talking to them. It doesn't matter if I use a sweet voice, angry voice, quiet voice, loud voice. I'm using WBT strategies and we practice, practice, practice, and there are still just some that sit there. I could leave the room and not return and these kids wouldn't even notice. I swear. I try to go in with positivity every year, but it fades so quickly.

So anyways, I can relate big time. Hang in there.
LilMissSEI is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 09-11-2013, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We were discussing today how awful the students' inattention is. It's just getting worse and worse. They look for every way possible to fiddle with something or sprawl on the desk or talk, anything to keep from attending to lessons, even for a few minutes. It is showing up in standardized test scores; they can't complete the tests. I have begun demanding "attention position" and forcing them to sit up straight and look at me, like little soldiers. I feel like I ride some kids a lot. Sigh.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherMeg

Old 09-11-2013, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

So glad I'm not the only one experiencing this. My kids act the same way. We've been in school for a month and they still talk non-stop and just don't listen to directions Then 5 seconds later are asking "what am I supposed to do?" It drives me crazy. I feel like Im grumpy and fussing at them all day. Ugh.
TeacherMeg is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 09-11-2013, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We've got the same issues, but we were basically told at our back to school staff meeting that most of our consequences for poor behavior and not completing work have been taken away. So now we are afraid the behavior will be even more of a problem.

UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

Readn gal

One idea
Old 09-12-2013, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've taught for 12 years. I felt like I needed a refresher on my classroom discipline, so I read tools for teachers by Fred jones. I loved that book. In the book he actually writes step by step body language and responses for dealing with disruptions. It seemed a bit silly at first, but I tried it and it worked perfectly. Everything he said was a great reminder of what I had done in the past but had not been doing enough of. Now that I have a document camera, I tended to sit at my desk more to model notes,etc. now I'm "working the room" more. I don't know if the kids have changed. It was really me that needed to remember what I used to do before all this technology trapped me at my desk.
Readn gal is offline   Reply With Quote

SnowDays1

To bad
Old 09-12-2013, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

we can't flash around the room at super human speed like their video games. I think that is the issue behind lack of focus. If it doesn't speed by with instant answers they are not interested.
SnowDays1 is offline   Reply With Quote

teach+25

I agree with everyone!
Old 09-12-2013, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

teacherwriter-I tell my kids they have to sit up to signal their brain that they are working!!! If I see a head on the desk I go bananas!!
teach+25 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherfl

Old 09-13-2013, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am feeling the same way. I have started them folding their hands or sitting on them when I am giving directions. They have to play with everything!

It drives be nuts when their heads are down. I tell them that I am tired and would like to lay on my desk, but can't.
teacherfl is offline   Reply With Quote

mmw

I have the...
Old 09-14-2013, 04:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Same issues here. I have thought a lot about it because I have 2 groups in my class of 30 and it has nothing to do with ability.

Group one is very attentive. If I ask them to do something or even if I begin to speak, they are looking at me, ready to go.

Group 2 doesn't even notice me. Often, I have to go to the child and invite them personally to do something.

Have you been in a restaurant or somewhere like that and seen the very young children (I actually saw a 9 month old recently) with their parents phone or even a tablet? It has their total attention and the adults can carry on a conversation or whatever they are doing. It seems to be totally absorbing.

I think that might be the issue. I'm just going to do an informal survey as we have conferences in October and ask a question about how often the children use devices like that to see if it correlates like I think it does. I just need a question that will give me an honest answer!

mmw is offline   Reply With Quote

Ally

Old 09-14-2013, 07:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I am finding my group to be much more inattentive than last year. It seems to be taking a LONG time to learn our classroom procedures. As frustrating at it is...I am going over and over and over them and I am not accepting "almost" (like almost everyone is listening, almost everyone is looking at me) I am making them do it over until everyone is doing what I need them to be doing. Tedious for sure...but I am praying it pays off in a few weeks...

Thank for the book suggestion...I am going to look him up.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher2

Yup
Old 09-14-2013, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I've got "that" class this year! There are several really good kids and I feel sorry for them having to put up with all of the nonsense all of the time. I go home absolutely exhausted most days. During my first year of teaching I was told to observe other teachers who had "great" classroom management. Some of those teachers were downright mean. I found that I adapted some of their behaviors because I was told to use them as a model, but discovered it was awful. It is not who I am. I am not saying I never raise my voice or give "the look", but I cannot pull off nonstop mean all day. I do find it difficult to find that delicate balance between being firm enough while still being kind. I don't always succeed at it either. Consistent procedures seem to be the best insurance for me, but there are those students who cross the line everyday. Hang in there, hopefully it will be better before Thanksgiving.
teacher2 is offline   Reply With Quote