Help

The VENT

Best Parent Stories

>

Aderynbach

Best Parent Stories
Old 12-24-2013, 08:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A comment another poster made on a "bad parent" post got me thinking. Our good parents don't get enough press! Does anyone have any awesome parent stories?
I know this is "The Vent" board, but it might be nice to hear some positive stories too.
The positive story I'm thinking of now happened at conferences this fall. This fall the girls in my class were constantly being unkind to one another, no matter what I did. I was in close communication with several parents over it and each seemed to think I should be able to solve all the emotional problems these girls carried with them.
So, at conferences I was unsurprised when the parents of another little girl in my class brought up the issues. I was prepared with my list of all-the-things-I-am-doing and how we are trying to solve it, but before I could even start, her father (who teaches HS social studies-we are Pre-K-12) said, "I'm glad to know you are addressing it. Kids can be cruel and we can't change their hearts. Don't stress over it. We'll keep talking to our daughter about how to handle it." It was a HUGE relief! I felt supported and wished he could talk with all the other parents in my class!
It was so nice to be surprised by a parent in a positive way! What's your positive parent story?

Aderynbach is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

Great parent
Old 12-24-2013, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have had so many, but here's a story that delights me. I was teaching 4th grade and I had a boy in class who was causing a lot of grief. Back-talked, pretended not to hear, things like that. I had talked to his mother, but nothing changed. Finally, I called his father. I didn't let the boy know that I had done that. You see, Daddy was a sheriff for the county.

Daddy showed up at my classroom door in uniform about 15 minutes later. He looks in, spots his son, and points his finger at him and then points out in the hall. The boy looked a little pale. He went out in the hall and Daddy shut the door. I hear some mumbling going on and a few "yes sir's". The door opens and the boy comes over to where I was standing and says "I'm sorry I wasn't being respectful towards you or to the other students in here." Then he sits down. I look up at the father, he nods, and closes the door.

That was the last bit of trouble I had from the boy all year. He turned into a delight to teach.
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

Ally

Old 12-24-2013, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a note on my fridge from a parent a few years ago. Her son missed his show and tell day and he was upset about it. I assured him it was not a big deal and to just bring it the next day. His mum wrote me a lovely note about making her son feel better and wrote that this was one of the many reasons he loved and respected me. I was so touched...
Ally is online now   Reply With Quote

tmar

Great parents
Old 12-24-2013, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have some wonderful parents this year (and some, not so) but at our class Christmas party this year, I had two moms who handled everything. Every time I would try to go over to help pass out things, or clean up, they would shoo me away. When they left, everything was packed up, clean, and everything was back in place. Sometimes it's just the little things that count..............
tmar is offline   Reply With Quote

goodkarma1

Great parent
Old 12-24-2013, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had had one of the scariest parent conferences the day before. That parent intimidated, harassed, and subtley threatened me. I was meeting with another family the following day about their bright, sweet, and funny daughter. The entire family was there. We went over her data folder and I talked about what a role model the little girl was. Mom and I did most of the talking; it was all very pleasant. As we wrapped up, Dad finally spoke. He told me how blessed they felt to have such a kind and nurturing teacher guiding their daughter through third grade, and how much she loved and respected me! I almost cried! BEST conference EVER!

goodkarma1 is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 12-24-2013, 10:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

One mom came into the classroom after school raising her voice, fussing that I'd deprived her (obese) DS of a sugary snack. The boy was playing me against mom and lied to get a rise out of her. The child's father came to talk to me (and the P) the following week. I knew he tended to be more reasonable. Guess what his first words were? "Can we pray before we start?" He then went on to talk in a very reasonable manner (so opposite of mom!) and we agreed on EVERYTHING mentioned. He's a great man. (How did he get his DW?)
From then on, EVERY communication was addressed to HIM.

When our school moved recently, this mom helped me move all my classroom and was the kindest person you'd want to meet! Another teacher commented that she's never seen mom act in such a nice way.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercury

Liar!
Old 12-24-2013, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I was in a long-term assignment and had a student who refused to work and often disrupted the class. I called home but his single mom worked 2 jobs so it was hard to get in touch with her. It came down to the child failing the class unless he did a packet of makeup work...he could work on it at home, at school when he was done with class work, at lunch. He refused to do it. I told him I was going to call his mom, and he said he didn't care, he'd just tell her I never gave him the packet and she'd believe him over me. I called mom, got her voicemail, and left a message explaining everything I did and what her son said.

Bless her heart, she took off work the next day and came to see me. Her son was so smug at first, and told her in front of me that I never ever gave him any packet AND I'd lost all the work he'd done. I then showed mom his work I'd collected, most of it was incomplete. He then said I didn't give him enough time to do the work. Mom, who'd been silent through all of this, turned to him and said You are a liar! You are lying! I can't believe while I'm working 2 jobs to take care of you you're refusing to do your work at school and then lying to me! You are going to do this packet! Now apologize to this nice lady! He mumbled an apology. This was in the morning and she spent the rest of the day at the school and told me she would make sure he worked on the packet after school. This was on Monday. He turned the packet in on Friday, completely done and nearly 100% correct. He apologized again and never gave me any problems after that.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. S.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What a great post for Christmas Eve!! I have a few...

The lovely parents who said during our conference, "there's just one thing we are concerned about... Suzie gets all checks on behavior, she's really not that good." I laughed out loud. I said she most certainly was good and I wouldn't give checks if she weren't. They gave me a $50. gift card for Christmas and come out of their way to speak to me now that Suzie has moved up.

The parents who sent me a list to fill out at the beginning of the school year of my likes and dislikes and presented me a box of homemade fudge, my favorite office supplies and favorite candy along with a $25. gift card to my favorite store and best of all, a note telling me how glad they were that I was DD's teacher. Their daughter is so sweet and lots of fun as well.

The daughter and mom team who always tell me how much she loves being in my class and how glad they are that I am her teacher. They always thank me for the extra help the child receives.

The parents who send items in immediately upon seeing them on the class wish list.

The mom who says her child will complete the work missed anyway even though she understands that he will receive a failing grade on the project (I didn't give a failing grade, just a C)

There have been many over the years and the notes I receive from them are the best gifts ever. One more, the dad who wrote that he knew his son didn't realize the gift he'd been given, having me as a teacher two years in a row (I moved up a grade). He is moving now and I gave him an extra big hug on the day we left for break.
Mrs. S. is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 12-24-2013, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I really needed this post after my parent issues this year. Thank you.

My first: My first year in the classroom I had a lovely boy but he could be disruptive. I called home and stepmom told me they would "pray for better behavior". Oookkkay. I hung up. Dad called back about 10 minutes later and told me there was a misunderstanding and the only person praying would be his son. All electronics were taken away until behavior improved. Kid was totally unplugged. He was certainly praying! Dad came in for a conference. He was like 6'7' and had to duck down to enter the room. Awesome father. I didn't have problems again.

This year I have a girl I LOVE. She reminds me of me when I was a kid; she won't stop talking. The last straw was when she talked during a lockdown drill. I called home to talk to mom about it and mom said, "I'm surprised it took you so long to call." She has been fantastic. She knows her kid and doesn't make any excuses.

GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Old 12-24-2013, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

So true! There are more great parents than bad. My favorite came after a false accusation on part of a known liar of a child. Went all the way up to superintendent. When it was done, several parents came to me and said they knew I would never do what child accused me of, and community stands behind me.

Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

yellowdaisies

Love this thread!
Old 12-24-2013, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

This year, I had a parent ask me for a class list as well as the names of our specials teachers because she wanted to send gifts for everyone. She and her precious little daughter made ornaments for everyone and put them in little gift bags. I have never seen my class more excited! The little girl picked out a special ornament for me about teachers being angels. Mom then e-mailed me and said that's what I've been to the little girl this year. The little girl has had a lot of problems with other students (she is VERY sweet and sensitive), and mom has been happy about how proactive I've been. Her email really touched me.

I had another mother write me a very sweet Christmas card about how glad they are that their son is in my class (I *love* this little boy, but he is a talker! lol!) and how teaching is a special gift.

I have another little boy who came to our school from another school, where he was retained. He is repeating first grade at our school. At his conference, his mom was just gushing to me about how much he loves school this year when he always hated it before.

I have another little boy who came to our school in October from another school. He is on an IEP and also has issues with behavior. His mom sent me an e-mail a few weeks after he joined our class thanking me for doing such a wonderful job and making him love school again.

Things like this mean a lot to me because I am only a second year teacher, so I sometimes feel like I don't know what I'm doing and I'm making mistakes. I LOVE when parents say positive things!
yellowdaisies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Parent contact is rare
Old 12-24-2013, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Most of our parents avoid contacting the school but last week (the end of our school year), I received a note from the father of one of my Year 4 students. It was written in the most beautiful copperplate writing and, in very formal language (I can't quote because it is at school) told me how grateful he was for my care of his daughter this year, how happy he and his wife are about her progress and maturing this year, and how much they wish their next daughter would also be having me for her class teacher.

He is an elderly (over 60 - this is his second family) Samoan man and obvious had a very formal education in the islands.

I wanted to wave it under my Principal's nose and say "See! Told you!" (I am being moved to library next year, and am not thrilled, to say the least.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

crockpotqueen

Wonderful
Old 12-24-2013, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

This is fantastic. These stories are bringing tears to my eyes. I too have had some positive parents who did similar things. They have no idea how much their simple gestures of common sense and courtesy have touched us.

I had one little girl a couple if yrs ago who had moved a few times and slipped through the cracks. She had learning difficulties for sure..but was just so sweet and polite. Someday, this girl will be the most caring friend, most dedicated worker, most devoted wife and loving parent that you could possibly imagine. Without support, though, she wasn't going to pass.

I got the process going right away for child study. Mom was just simply the most lovely woman. The apple sure didn't fall far from the tree. She heard me tell her some very hard to accept things about her daughter. She did not accuse or get angry. She was sweet and composed and soooooo appreciative of everything I was doing to try to help her daughter. In one of our meetings, she told me her friends and family immediately blamed the teacher (me) and school as soon as she mentioned anything about the difficulty her daughter was having. She said she QUICKLY corrected them and let them know that her teacher and the school were doing everything they could and that she was very happy with everything we were doing.

It turned out that she was eligible for a heavy amount Sped services. She went off to middle school with the help she needed ready and waiting. With such a supportive mom at home, too, I expect this to be a success story.
crockpotqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Claus

Old 12-24-2013, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I have some great parents this year. Here's a couple of excerpts from emails I have gotten this year from a parent. It warms my heart.

You have helped us both so much. We are very blessed to have had the honor of you as her teacher. You care about teaching your students and you make it fun for them at the same time. That's a great mixture of discipline and method. [Name] is a very special little girl and she is our whole world. Thank you for taking time to help her each and every day. God bless you in your daily efforts with all of the children.

We are thankful to have a teacher like you. It is evident that you love what you do. The children can sense that. [Name] is so encouraged to learn by your enthusiasm in the classroom. You are a blessing to everyone you have contact with. Teaching children to love learning sticks with them for their entire lives even into adulthood. I don't feel like we have done anything noteworthy this year for you, but we are here if you need us. Honestly, I want you to let us know if there are things for the classroom that you need. Resources are important for learning. We realize that and so do most all the parents in your room this year. We can't be there, but the least we can do is get you something you need to work with. You are very much appreciated. Thanks can't begin to express our gratitude. Have a great weekend!!!
Mrs.Claus is offline   Reply With Quote

MAMASUZE

Smiling from ear to ear!
Old 12-24-2013, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

These are the kinds of things that we should do more of...

My favorite so far this year........

I had a little girl who could not read when school first started. She had not had anyone to show her how to break words apart, use phonics, or the basics of reading. We struggled the first month of school, then she began to make a turn around. Her parents and I worked closely together. They were willing to do any extra homework with her that I would send home.

I met with mom and dad one afternoon and both cried and told me that they now have a little girl who enjoys coming to school and even talks of being a teacher one day. They said that I get all the credit for the smile on her face and the success that she now feels.
MAMASUZE is offline   Reply With Quote

URMySunshine

One of my favorites...
Old 12-24-2013, 09:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I had a parent one year who got on the phone and was trying to stir up trouble about me to other parents. The parent she called jumped to my defense immediately (I had already taught her daughter) and told her that if she didn't have anything better to do than to get on the phone and try to stir up trouble she needed to join the PTO. They could use people who didn't have anything to do!
URMySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

Lady Teacher

Good parent stories
Old 12-25-2013, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I've had so many through the years. There are two that really stand out. One year I had a little princess. She was a true brat and she got that from her mom. The dad was amazing. One day he came to check on his DD and asked why I was in the classroom working instead of the lounge. I told him I had forgotten my lunch and I didn't have my debit card. He left and came back ten minutes later with lunch for me. He told me I needed my strength to deal with his DD and the rest of the class.

Another parent was amazing. I saw him at a local cafe. He said the best lesson I ever taught his DD and her mother was when I moved her to a private office. Up until then, he wife thought DD walked on water. He said I taught his DD that actions and choices have consequences and that I taught his wife that their DD wasn't perfect. He said they still talk about the lessons she learned in my third grade class and she is in high school now!

One year I had a beautiful little girl who struggled with math. She has no self esteem or confidence about her abilities. Her mom was a single parent and trying so hard to get help for her but didn't want her in my class because she heard that the pace was going to be too fast. She didn't understand that the pacing was different for students that excel. I worked with her every day. By the end of the year she was on grade level. The little girl told me I was her best friend and the mom told me that I taught her that all students could learn and how to be a better parent to both of her kids.

Thanks for this. We do have some pretty amazing parents but it's easy to forget when it feels like so many of them are against us and what we are trying to do.
Lady Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

jmtoad22

Christmas
Old 12-25-2013, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

2 years ago, my husband and I were driving from New Orleans, LA on Christmas Eve to Orlando to visit his family after we had an early dinner with my family. I left my purse at my grandmother's house on accident and did not realize until my grandmother called me in Alabama. I also knew that my room mom that year was also coming to Orlando the day after Christmas. I called her (on Christmas Eve) and she went to my grandmother's house, picked up my purse, and brought it with them when they came! Best room mom ever!
jmtoad22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Angelo

Translator
Old 12-27-2013, 10:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

The vast majority of my parent conferences are "neutral." A few make the whole process fairly painful. But I find I always have a handful that remind me there are still good people out there.

I met with one parent last year who didn't speak a word of English. She stopped by classroom and asked me in (what turned out to be) Korean to please wait for her translator (who was also a cousin or in-law or some such). Of course, she couldn't say, "Please wait for the translator," so it was a very awkward moment with Mom saying the son's name phonetically so I knew which student she was connected with, a great deal of respectful bowing and (I think) thanking me for my patience while she waited for the translator, and I had no no idea what we were doing.

By the time the translator had arrived, I was getting impatient. During our conversation, however (through an intermediary), I learned more about her son, and she seemed astonished at just how good he was at English, despite his ESL status. She had tears in her eyes when I talked about how great he was at communicating satire and other forms of humor into his writing, and she finished by thanking me for committing my life to "teaching and inspiring" (those were the words the translator used) children.

The experience reminded me to always take the time to talk to people and really hear what they have to say, because it can be surprising, and even life-giving!
Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote