Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Non-Stop Talking!

>

Judyd3

Non-Stop Talking!
Old 01-05-2015, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have one or two classes who are talking non-stop. It's like whack-a-mole. Once I get one or two quiet, three or four pick up over there. I've written them up, called home, given warnings, separated kids, etc. I'm so tired. Any great suggestions? This is 7th grade and I know that they like to be social and I don't have a problem with that, but sometimes they have to be quiet to learn. Thanks!

Judyd3 is offline   Reply With Quote

kmob

Do you use Dojo?
Old 01-05-2015, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I now use Class Dojo on my projector and allow them to earn things with the points. They know that if they make a certain amount they earn privileges like picking who they sit with, a homework pass, etc... It has helped my 7th graders quite a bit.
kmob is offline   Reply With Quote

teachlove76

me too!
Old 01-08-2015, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This sounds exactly like my 2 sixth grade classes! I have tried raffle tickets for students on task, participating,etc and then I do a raffle on Friday for a prize box. I know this sounds crazy, but I did a mystery student each class. I would choose one student ahead of time and watch them the entire class to see if they were quiet and on task. I would remind students throughout class I had my eye on my mystery person and then announce who it was at the end of class and they would get the prize box. They actually seemed to like this and asked me today when I was going to do it again.I am trying every trick in the box with my classes!
teachlove76 is offline   Reply With Quote

ArtsyFartsyII

Old 01-11-2015, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That's hilarious, I never thought the mystery student trick would work with 6th graders, I figured it was 3rd grade and under. I have this lining up game that the younger kids seem to like, where I wait until they are seated and quiet and then I tell them "if you are wearing orange, you can line up." I try to pick things that only 2-4 students are wearing so it's not a mad rush. Of course I did this with 5th graders last week, and I said "If you are wearing a ponytail, you can line up." and over half the class thought they were being funny and made a fake ponytail with their hand and went and lined up.
ArtsyFartsyII is offline   Reply With Quote

pg

Oh, I would recommend ClassDojo...
Old 01-12-2015, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It really works like magic. I know the situation you are experiencing ~ I always feel overwhelmed and totally hopeless on those days. You have my heart ~ and my encouragement! Please consider giving this a try. As I use this, I always think that the reason that things got so bad was because the people who knew how to act right were starting to feel that there it was pointless, that order could not be maintained ~ so they joined in the revelry. By then, it was a real mess!

I thought middle schoolers would pooh-pooh ClassDojo as being too juvenile, but, oh no! They loved it when I first introduced ~ even having interest in what their avatar looked like and wanting to personalize it.

Daily, at random moments, usually when they are most likely to be rambunctious, I project the class list and allow them to see who's getting points. (I only make points earned visible, not points lost. I really only take away points on VERY BAD days... I think that happened once.)

Then, I have the most fun ~ I just go from group to group and award a point to the person who is being the most well-behaved. Or, and even more fun, I just award points to the people sitting next to the "antsy" ones ~ and staying quiet.

The points might result in a prize or a positive class participation grade! But to tell the truth, I don't think they even care about this... At least not so much.

However you sort this out ~ good luck!

pg is offline   Reply With Quote

Detbenson

Troublemakers
Old 01-18-2015, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi. If you can get 1 or 2 trouble makers to stop then you can get them quiet. 1. Call quiet students to go get a piece of candy. 2. Make an example out of 1-2 students and have them write their name on the board for silent lunch. 3. Tell them you will send them back to their homeroom to do their work (takes the audience away). Good luck!
Detbenson is offline   Reply With Quote

Elmaestro1

Running mouths
Old 01-21-2015, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If they are not doing there work at all, I just talked to them individually and let them know that their chatter box mouth is earning them a D or F in the class. If that does not work figure out a way to embarrass them in front of they peers. Teen hate being embarrass. The embarrassments will stop when their mouths do, even trade. You just sometimes have to be hard with this kids.
Elmaestro1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Elmaestro1

Running mouths
Old 01-21-2015, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If they are not doing there work at all, I just talked to them individually and let them know that their chatter box mouth is earning them a D or F in the class. If that does not work figure out a way to embarrass them in front of their peers. Teens hate being embarrass. The embarrassments will stop when their mouths do, even trade. You just sometimes have to be hard with this kids.
Elmaestro1 is offline   Reply With Quote

sball08

Incentive
Old 02-23-2015, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Have a rewards system put in place for students who are quiet. Once the troublemakers notice that those who are cooperating are receiving some type of reward, then they will want to follow directions. Therefore, keeping quiet during class.
sball08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Trishteaches

My Two Cents
Old 06-26-2015, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

1. Try to figure out why they need to talk...not enough opportunities. Is it for power? Is the class too hard? There is always a reason.
2. Offer choices that would work for you to get them motivated. Do not use threats or punishment as a choice. Choices in class management is a win-win. You can have the power just a so easily as the student.
3. Talk to them aside, away from their peers explain their actions are hurting their peers participation.
4. Provide opportunities for them work together favorably doing work.
5. Provide incentives that are of value to your students...five minutes extra in recess, iPad free time, etc.
6. Give positive feedback/comments on good behavior openly.
7. You can never force a child to behave by embarrassing them, chastising, etc - it does not nurture them nor teach them something of value other than hate or distrust...no teacher wants this. You will have students too afraid to ask you questions for fear of this happening to them...think about it.
8. Kids want to know their teachers care, try to connect with your students, find out who they are...if you show them you care you will have earned some respect.
Anyways, that is my two cents...
Trish

Trishteaches is offline   Reply With Quote