Help

BusyBoard

Policy for work given for vacation

>

Michele10

Policy for work given for vacation
Old 06-29-2015, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am wanting to know what different schools' policies are for giving work to a student before they go on a family vacation during the school year. My school does not allow us to give work all because one family, 10 years ago would get the work and then wouldn't do it. Personally, I would like a student to come back from vacation caught up with his or her work so they aren't doing last weeks and this weeks work at the same time. This is really overwhelming for students especially with students that struggle. What does your school do???

Michele10 is offline   Reply With Quote

cheerio

Old 06-29-2015, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

No work given. They can catch up when they get back. Too much work for teacher to prepare ahead of time and most of the time the kids don't do it anyway. Also it's often hard to just give worksheets because kids are missing the discussions/activities in class.
I would hate to have to prepare homework. We tell the parents who ask to read daily with kid, practice math facts and to keep a journal.
cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 06-29-2015, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Teacher is free to make her own policy. I don't do it because of the non return problem and the fact that there is no guarantee my student actually did the work.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sleddog

Vacation work
Old 06-29-2015, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We don't give work until the student returns. If they missed 5 days of school, they have 5 school days to make up the missed work. We've had too many issues of teachers preparing work and upon return, finding minimal to no work done. It is a policy so parents already know and we rarely get complaints. Parents are happy to have the time to enjoy their vacation without fighting about schoolwork.
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 06-29-2015, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Teacher can set their own policy and admin backs up teacher policy. I don't give it simply because I usually don't know for sure or haven't done the materials prep for what I am doing until the weekend, so I can't give it to them on Friday even if I wanted to.

Vacations are unexcused, so we're also allowed to simply give zeroes but I don't know any teacher that actually does that.

Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

essence253

Old 06-29-2015, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Because vacations are considered unexcused absences, teachers here don't have to give students any makeup work. I very seldon have a parent ask for work for a vacation. We only have to let students make up for excused absences. In those cases students equal time to the time out to make up work.
essence253 is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 06-29-2015, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

At my school, it's at the teacher's discretion. I usually give it; they usually don't do it.

I wish we could call such absences unexcused and give zeros! After all, I can't just take school time off and go on vacation...My students' attendance in general is far worse than mine.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Vacation work
Old 06-29-2015, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Technically, in our district, if a kid is gone for more than 4 days they are supposed to go to the office and fill out an independent work form. Teacher can give work. This way, if they turn the work in, we get paid for kid being in school when they are not.

What usually happens is they don't do the work, don't turn it in and we don't get the State funds.

I have given up on making work packets. I pile the work on their desk when they're gone and tell them to make it up ASAP. if they were on an independent study, I might turn it in to the office.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 06-29-2015, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Really up to the parent. We frequently have kids gone for 2-4 weeks. They travel to their home country. Some parents want a lot of work, some parents want no work. It's hard for me to give them all their work that far ahead.
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 06-29-2015, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We have students do an independent study contract, and then continue bothering them until they turn in the work. It is drilled into parents head's that we get funding for all independent study work so they are pretty good about returning it.

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

Policy
Old 06-29-2015, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

It's up to teachers.
Not a problem into school though.
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Gogogo

Like Keltic Mom
Old 06-29-2015, 09:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Our district allows Independent Study for 5 days or more. As long as they give us 2 weeks notice we have to give it because the school,will get money for those missed days. We can't give to them early and it is due the day they return -- or no money for the school.

Because it has to do with money, the district is very strict about it -- and each day should represent a day's work, not a half hour of homework.

You think students are going to get a week's worth of work done while they are at Disneyland? I spend a few hours putting it together and it almost never gets done. I hate it.

Many packets are given out during the year as we are a "Country Club School," as my principal puts it. Travel and fun first, then school when it can be fit in the schedule.
Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

KAN

Old 06-30-2015, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Teachers are not required to give homework in advance. I never give out work for students going on vacation. They have to get caught up when they return.
KAN is offline   Reply With Quote

mooseweaver

vacations and work . . .
Old 06-30-2015, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I do exactly what "Cheerio" said--ask the kiddos to read, work on some basic math computation, and keep a journal. Only a very few students do these activities. I can't imagine sending a full day's work for every day that the student will be gone . . .yikes! They almost never do the work--what a waste of time!
mooseweaver is offline   Reply With Quote