Help

Sixth Grade

Morning Work Ideas?

>

funin6th

Morning Work Ideas?
Old 07-26-2015, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be self contained this year instead of departmentalized and am looking for any ideas for morning work. Students will be coming in for about a 1/2 hour so I need something for the early students to do while waiting to start the day. I really don't want to give a worksheet everyday, what does everyone else do?

funin6th is offline   Reply With Quote

okteach

Old 07-26-2015, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Math Minute,journal, problem of the da, read silently.
okteach is offline   Reply With Quote

kmob

Caught Ya Grammar
Old 07-28-2015, 05:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm a big fan of Caught Ya Grammar
kmob is offline   Reply With Quote

dearduckyduck

Morning Work
Old 07-28-2015, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In my classroom we have about twenty minutes of morning time where students are going to breakfast and arriving at school. I can't give anything that will be graded because I have some students that come in with just minutes to spare.

We do study hall. At the beginning of the year I explain that study hall is basically anything you need to work on that is quiet at your desk. You may read, work on homework, draw, do flash cards with a partner, etc. They do have to have all of their supplies cleaned up and ready to go when the bell rings for their first class at 8:20.

There are some days when it can get a bit loud, and I have to bring them back down. If it gets too rowdy, I will institute silent study hall. They really don't like that, so it usually stays reasonable.
dearduckyduck is offline   Reply With Quote

funin6th

Thank you!
Old 07-28-2015, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

These are great ideas, I really like the idea of a "study hall", where students can have an option, whether they wish to read or catch up on missing work.

funin6th is offline   Reply With Quote

sassymollasi

Band
Old 07-29-2015, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have a period of the day when 1/2 the class goes to band so we also do study hall. Our study hall is at the end of the day so they usually get a start on homework - however, I have had some band students complain because they end up with homework and the others do not.... sigh. It is sort of frustrating. I have tried a lot of things over the years, but study hall seems to work the best, but nothing is perfect.
sassymollasi is offline   Reply With Quote

Inspire.Teach

Morning Work
Old 07-30-2015, 09:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I do Mountain Math which is a program in which the students do the same kinds of problems each week, but they get switched. The repetition is excellent. I will also second the person who said Caught ya Grammar! I used to do this and the kids really enjoyed it!
Inspire.Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

SharkWoman

Tic Tac Tie
Old 08-02-2015, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am in the process of creating a Tic Tac Toe board for students who get finished early. Might work for your time as well. I'm using a science fair board so I can place it on a counter. 9 pockets that will contain activities or task cards. When students complete a Tic Tac Toe, they will get extra credit. I hope this helps.
SharkWoman is offline   Reply With Quote

TRAY22

Quote of Day
Old 09-26-2015, 11:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have the write a "Quote of the Day" that I get from the 365 Days of Wonder book and they have to explain to me what that quote means to them in 2 to 3 sentences. I check for students writing in complete sentences, and some students are practicing working on handwriting since is not taught in class anymore. Also, the students have a Word of the Day as well. They have to write the word, definition from the board. Then write a complete sentence using that word. I'm going to check out Caught ya, Grammar..... sounds like something I can add.
TRAY22 is offline   Reply With Quote

maryw

Mine is structured by the day
Old 10-25-2015, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

It was easier for me to structure morning work by the day of the week, for instance Monday- cursive practice, Tuesday- Quote of the week, Wednesday- independent reading or writing, Thursday- math Friday- catch up.

The structure helps me have things ready each week. Although some days I throw in something different like clean your book box/folders out or review work. And some days I even use the time to have them cut out items that will go in their interactive notebooks so I don't have to waste instructional time on the cut/glue part.

maryw is offline   Reply With Quote