Help

Special Education

BD/ED self contained

>

Newbielibro

BD/ED self contained
Old 09-24-2015, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have an interview on Monday for a BD/ED self contained elementary position. It is intermediate, which I enjoy. At some schools I might not consider this due to management styles but this is a district I have been subbing in and really enjoy. I also heard they are moving to integrating more access to academics this year for all sped students, which is important to me. I really enjoy working with a wide variety of students and content so that is one consideration to find out more about.

One thing I want to know is how likely I am to do take downs to get kneed punched in the abdomen and with what frequency. Generally speaking, I am no stranger to physical aggression and it doesn't worry me but I am supposed to start another round of IVF soon because I have infertility. When doing IVF my ovaries get all swollen and tender and big. And then if/when we get an embyo to implant I am going to be more cautious during the 2 week wait. Of course I don't want to mention any of this during an interview. Is this something I should be concerned about at all?

What are some good questions to ask?

Newbielibro is offline   Reply With Quote

Autumnleaf

Old 09-25-2015, 01:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi,
I currently teach a self-contained ed/ bd class . It's my first year in this kind of program. Last year was my first year teaching and I taught life skills in a different district . I won't lie it's challenging but this class got me into a great district. I teach K-3 and all my students are on grade level, so I'm teaching four grade curriculums simanteously. We do a lot of small group/ centers and rotate. Behavior managment and choice is big for my students, they are needing lots extrinsic rewards to be successful,while we teach them social / coping skills.
Questions I would ask are the staffing ratios and trainings. I have nine students and two full time TAs . Since we all trained in restrictive interventions and holds if needed , my two TAs usually do a restrictive intervention , while I continue to teach. Not to say that , I never do but it could help you in your IVF process ,if you are staffed. As far as getting hit, we can tell triggers and when students are beginning to escalate , so that we can intervene .I would ask about resources available , how involved is the school social worker involved in the program? If possible , see if you could tour the room. My room has a bathroom and timeout room with attached to the classroom, so that eliminates some issues with needing to go into the hall.
Autumnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 09-25-2015, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

when I took an ed/bd job like that I got pregnant in September. I, too, had been going through fertility treatments. Anyway, If you are trying to get pregnant I feel this is a really bad job to have.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Newbielibro

Old 09-25-2015, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the advice autumnleaf! I generally do well with such students when I get an opportunity to build rapport and I have some good ways to teach a variety of social skills and coping mechanisms. I have worked with a variety of clients with various intense behavior issues and tend to quite enjoy that especially when combined with academic content. I am subbing in this district but not in this building yet though so far I have been enjoying the other buildings. I will have to find out more about it and see how such things go-- it really will likely come down to support and fit with the building.
Prekteach13

Prekteach13

Old 09-26-2015, 02:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I will add that even if you have great strategies and know what you are doing, teaching ED while pregnant is HARD. I'm 7 months and when I have students who have a bad day and end up punching me or kicking me, sometimes just in the midst of their tantrums, I go home and just wait to feel the baby kick. I'm not saying it's not doable, but I greatly wish I had a different position just to finish out my pregnancy

SpecialAnne

Old 09-26-2015, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hoping I am not too late...

I would ask about what de-escalation systems are in place? You always have to be concerned because you just never know.

I would ask what support should you expect from admin too
SpecialAnne is offline   Reply With Quote

Newbielibro

Old 10-13-2015, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I want to thank everyone for the great suggestions, at the interview they commented on my knowledgeable questions. I thought it went well but they didn't offer me the position or any feedback. Oh well.