Help

Special Education

One Student

>

SpecialAnne

One Student
Old 10-10-2015, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach students that are in pull out math in a middle school environment...actually a 6-12 buiding... anyway... in one math class I have 7 students. Six of them are pretty much neck in neck skill wise...but I have one that is classified with several disabilities...ASD, DCD and ODD....that is lower than the rest... The students are in 7 and 8th grades...but their MAP scores show them at 3-4 grade in math at the highest...my lower student is maybe 2nd grade level...180... I don't have a para...there are lots of off task behavior...I know I should individualize but I just don't think I can give him enough individualized attention to make a huge difference...

What would you do?

SpecialAnne is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemSped13

Old 10-12-2015, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Will he work on the computer independently? Could you give a mini-lesson to all then put him on the computer to work on basic skills while you work with the others? Then when they are working in partners or individually, work with him for another skill building time.

I don't know how much time you have for a class. When I've had a kid who is much lower than the others, I would include them but give them a specific task. Like we're going to work this manually and student X is going to work it on the calculator then we see if everyone's answers match.
ElemSped13 is offline   Reply With Quote