Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Co-Teaching

>

colormegreen

Co-Teaching
Old 11-11-2015, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What is your idea of co-teaching in Middle School with a Special Ed teacher?

colormegreen is offline   Reply With Quote

beachygrl

Co-teaching
Old 11-11-2015, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Co-teaching can take many forms. I was the SpEd teacher in a Co-Teach situation for 3 years. I followed a group of students to their academic classes. This meant I co-taught 4 different subjects with 4 different GenEd teachers. Some of those classes went better than others, usually based on teacher experience, trust in my abilities, and (most important) the students in the class. One teacher & I were like one brain in two bodies, our instruction was seamless. One heavily resented having me in the room and treated me more like a para than a teacher.
beachygrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

We Try!
Old 11-11-2015, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have an amazing special education teacher who comes into two of my classes with learning support students every other day. She has a great personality and is a lot of fun to be with. She will pitch in and help try to keep kids on track. I know it is hard for her to "take over" because she is not familiar with the curriculum, but she will try.

The thing that gets me is that she is super busy. She is constantly getting called out of my room for various reasons. She has so many meetings and paperwork tasks to do that I don't know how she does it. She will test ls students in her room, but it is difficult because she comes each day but in different classes. Meaning that I either have to give the test on different days for different classes or she has to switch her schedule.

I know that students don't think she is like an aide. We have explained that we are co-teachers but it's hard because she is in and out. I really like how she will help all students not just "her" kids. It's sad though that she is stretched so thin. She ends up coming in late and leaving early just due to the number of demands places on her.

Back in the day, our previous ls teacher and I could do more activities. We could split kids into groups and then bring them back together. However, back then, we had planning time together. Now, it is just hit or miss.
Mshope is online now   Reply With Quote

kmob

Inclusion classes
Old 11-14-2015, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Two of my 4 ELA classes are "Inclusion Classes" where there are two teachers in the room. I am ELA certified and she is SPED certified, and we have different comfort levels. We were having a hard time balancing things off so it always looked like a co-teaching environment....which is something the administration is really pushing. What I do now is make sure that I write the lesson plans at least 48 hours in advance. Then we go over it together during prep and write out names next to what we are comfortable covering. Then we highlight the lesson plan and leave it out. It was a little disjointed at first, but now we truly are "co-teaching." We play off each other's strengths and take turns...we barely even look at the lesson plan anymore!
kmob is offline   Reply With Quote