Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Best day of the week to give tests?

>

Couggrad94

Best day of the week to give tests?
Old 02-19-2016, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wondering if anyone has found a good day of the week to give tests and why? All I hear is to avoid Mondays, but what about other days?

Couggrad94 is offline   Reply With Quote

theapple

I Honestly Can't Say...
Old 02-19-2016, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My district strongly encourages all test to be spread out throughout the week, including Mondays. And, we are to try to avoid more than 2 tests in a day.

I have noticed my students in one grade do better on testing Wednesdays and Thursdays in math, science, language and social studies. Another grade will do better with tests on any day but Monday.

I can give you examples of how we test in one of my grades if you want, but I work in a primary school, so that might not work for you.
theapple is offline   Reply With Quote

kerteach2

Testing
Old 02-19-2016, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would agree with not giving them on a Monday. For me with elementary school, these kids are at the mercy of their parents and some parents just kept their kids up too late and too busy. I haven't found any other day that us better than the other.

My DD in HS has them on Mondays occasionally though.
Oh, and not after a day off or holiday
kerteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

best test days
Old 02-20-2016, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I try for Wed or Thursday. Then we have the beginning of the week to review and study. Except the traditional Friday spelling test. Once in awhile a Tuesday if the study guide went home the previous Friday. And it is true, never on a Monday...
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Studying?
Old 02-20-2016, 05:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our ms students really can't/don't study much for any tests. In English, all the literature tests are open text so they can re-read, but will have the book/story there. In science and social studies, students cannot take the books. We only have class sets and even those have to be shared! The books are online, but not every kid has access to the Internet. I used to try to photocopy chapters, but I don't have time and those big packets jam our copier. So we can use "study guides" but most kids really don't use them.

I used to prefer to use tests on Fridays. That way, I could spend all weekend grading them. I no longer do that so any day of the week is fine.

I do remember a few years we were supposed to coordinate tests so kids wouldn't have more than one a day. That was fine, but now our schedules are such that we no longer have the same students on "teams."

Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

kmob

middle of week
Old 02-20-2016, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I find that Tues-Thurs are the best days. You can review and kids aren't in weekend mode. There is time also for absent students and those that need extra time. We have found out that we might be giving the PARCC testing on a Monday though, so administration is encouraging us to use all different days so that students get used to it being any day.
kmob is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

I like Thursdays
Old 02-21-2016, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I teach the little ones, but for their tests that are weekly, Thursday works well. We have time to work on the skills during the week, and when I return the test it doesn't get lost in the backpack over the weekend.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

bgieselman

Depends on what you want
Old 02-23-2016, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Students will most likely perform the best on a Wednesday or Thursday, but if your goal is preparing them for the future, having tests on any day of the week will prepare them for high school and college, as well a job, where they can have deadlines due on any day.
bgieselman is offline   Reply With Quote

college_mom

Why not Monday?
Old 02-23-2016, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

To be honest, most of my students do NOT study. I have always avoided giving tests on Mondays, but now it doesn't seem to matter. I have decided that if I review content with them for 15-20 minutes, what's wrong with the other 50 minutes being test time?
college_mom is offline   Reply With Quote

peaks

Re: Best day of the week to give tests
Old 03-01-2016, 03:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I've also read, been told, personally felt, . . . that Mondays are definitely not a good day to test. Yet, just yesterday (a Monday) students in my state/district were administered a very important annual writing assessment. Boo!! I prefer to test on Fridays after reviewing on Thursdays. I have occasionally assessed in the middle of a week when a chapter/unit/topic happens to be completed at that time. If you get anything from my post, it would be to avoid Mondays, if possible. I work with students who have learning disabilities, and they just don't have the discipline to study over the weekend nor is their retention of information great with non-school days in between their learning.

I hope this helps.

peaks is offline   Reply With Quote

Rt2learn

Old 03-01-2016, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I try to test on Thursday. That works best for my students and me.
Rt2learn is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 03-01-2016, 09:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'm with peaks. On Friday, they are in test mode. I also review better with them if I'm not rushing them to finish to test earlier in the week or beating a dead horse by extending it into the next week. Scheduling the test for Friday and the review on Thursday also lets me have the time to see when they just aren't ready and need some reteach and to test on Monday or Tuesday. On another note, it aids in attendance. I have quite a few that would be out on Fridays if their parents didn't have the idea of test day looming over them.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

I always tried to make it Thursday
Old 03-11-2016, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I typically did my tests on Thursday, rarely on Friday, but every Friday was a short day, so it usually wasn't practical anyway. School policy was no homework over weekends, so Monday tests were never going to be a problem to consider,(I rarely ever gave homework myself either, if they didn't finish their daily work that day they gave themselves homework) but Thursday seemed to be a good time since they were in the routine and it was far enough from the weekend for students to still have serious thought.
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

mathdork

Old 04-29-2016, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I do mine on Fridays. Then on Monday I review/correct misconceptions from the Friday quizzes.
mathdork is offline   Reply With Quote