Help

Intermediate Grades (3-5)

3/4 multiage novel ideas

>

Michele10

3/4 multiage novel ideas
Old 07-12-2016, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I have just been informed that I will be teaching a multi-aged classroom of 3rd and 4th graders. I have taught this combo before but had the whole summer to plan for it. In the past, I also had an aide to help me teach math and reading. This year I will be doing it alone and we start school in about a month so I need some ideas for novel studies that would be good for both age groups. At first I was thinking about The BFG but when I looked it up it is a 5th grade level book. So any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Michele10 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-13-2016, 04:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

-Ramona Quimby, Age 8
-Humphrey

There's a ton more but I'm drawing a blank
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

novels
Old 07-13-2016, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Stone Fox/realistic fiction

Cam Jansen/ mystery(any book in series)

Judy Moody Saves The World/realistic fiction

Aliens For Breakfast/ science fiction (two more books in series)

Top Secret by John Reynolds Gardiner/science fiction (great to do while studying plants in science)

7 X 9 = Trouble /realistic fiction

Chocolate Touch/ fantasy (read The Midas Touch aloud to them first and make connections between the two stories

The Littles/fantasy ( many books to read in this very easy series

Little House in the Big Woods/historical Fiction (Everyone always says that since it is about three girls boys will not like this book. I taught this novel at the third grade level for 13 years and never found this true. The boys did like the book. It reads more like nonfiction because it describes what the pioneer lifestyle was like. It spends little time on character development. It explains many processes like making bullets, cleaning a gun, smoking meat... It is a great book to teach sequencing with due to these step by step processes being shared. There are many reasons why this book has sold well for 80 years! The students love talking about how Laura's lifestyle was very different from their own.

Love That Dog/ poetry (It is about a boy who thinks poetry is for girls only until his teacher changes his mind- this is short and will only take about a week to read. However, it sets the stage for poetry all year!)

Be a Perfect Person in Just Three Days/ humorous fiction

Helen Keller by Margaret Davidson/biography

Space: Magic Treehouse Research Guide/nonfiction informational (there are many books in this series to select from)

Sarah Plain and Tall (historical fiction)

Trouble River/survival novel

The Monster's Ring/fantasy (this is the perfect Halloween read in my opinion. The kids beg to read more each day. It also teaches a lesson about bullying! Great book!)

Fantastic Mr. Fox or George's Marvelous Medicine/ fantasy (these are both Roald Dahl books and short. Hopefully the students will enjoy them enough that they will read more from this great author including the long ones like BFG and Matilda.)

Shoeshine Girl/realistic fiction (this book helps me teach economics in SS)

Max Malone Makes a Million/realistic fiction (another book I selected to assist me in teaching economics concepts, the boys read this one and the girls read the one listed above)

Tales of Fourth Grade Nothing/realistic fiction-humor
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

tea:)

Quick Books
Old 07-13-2016, 11:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have used
Flat Stanley-Most are 3rd grade
Flat Stanley Worldwide Adventures-Most are 4th grade level
Magic Finger (Roald Dahl)-3rd grade level; however, it has higher level vocabulary.

These novels are a week long novel. They are excellent for beginning of school year. Gives you time to assess the students and the stories are humorous.

Regarding King Midas, there are many different versions of this story. You can tie it in to mythology because it is a 4th grade standard.
tea:) is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Novel Studies??
Old 07-13-2016, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Just a question...what do you mean by novel studies? Are these books you will be reading aloud to the whole class, or are these books you will use with your guided reading groups?

If you mean you will be reading the novel aloud, then any of the ones already mentioned will work well for you.

If you mean you are going to use the novel for your guided reading groups, then I think you will need to wait to find out the reading levels of your students before you can choose what novels to use. You can match their reading levels to the guided reading levels of the books, and then group your students accordingly.

Some of your third graders (and maybe fourth graders) may still need picture books and may not be ready for using novels for guided reading. You might also find that some of your third graders and fourth graders are at the same reading level, and you can group them together while other guided reading groups might be exclusively third graders or fourth graders.

I hope you have a great school year!

ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

novel studies
Old 07-14-2016, 05:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You have some good book lists posted here. I was wondering the same as Connie though. If you're planning whole class novels or for lit circles or for read alouds. Any of the titles will be great for some students but depending on your student's reading levels , many will be too easy or too hard for some aas well.

I wonder if your population will be high third graders/average 4th. Or low fourth/average third?? That could make a huge difference in your planning!
Linda/OH is online now   Reply With Quote

teacher333

Reading gr 3/4
Old 07-14-2016, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We read about 10 Roald Dahl books, but we read them together so we can review vocabulary, have discussions, etc. we modify the work based on their ability levels. We follow them up with the movies, which creates a lot of discussion, comparing what was different between them. We also read The Chocolate Touch, which they love. Beverly Cleary, which even the boys like.
teacher333 is offline   Reply With Quote