Help

BusyBoard

classroom concern

>

parkermak

classroom concern
Old 09-21-2016, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am having struggles getting my students to answer deeper level thinking questions. Our math book is terrible and does not allow any opportunity for deeper thinking. Most teachers in my school just follow the math book, page to page. Most also give the students tons of worksheets. I am trying to challenge the students and get them to prove why or explain their thinking and they can not. It's frustrating to sit and wait for them to answer. It is also frustrating because I only have them for a year and then they move on to more worksheet pushing teachers. Is there hope? Should I give up? Do I need to become a worksheet pusher too? I just feel so helpless. The students will not ever be able to pass a test without higher level thinking skills. Any advice?

parkermak is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 09-21-2016, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Since this is what CCSS are supposed to be about, I think you should persevere. Other teachers may just be doing what is comfortable or easy. You may need to model think-aloud and multiple strategies. Offer 'Smarties' to students who share their thinking. You may have to lead the students a lot at first, but eventually they will become more independent.
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

You have to teach them how
Old 09-21-2016, 09:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If they haven't been doing it all along, this is a new skill, and a tough one. Model for them, be patient- it may take a while, but they'll get it.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote